Sign in to follow this  
SmokeDiddy

A2A Bonanza in the A2A Store

Based on the few hours I've managed to get in so far I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on the flight model.  I find it easier to taxi and to hold the center line on takeoff than the Milviz 310 Redux and am not experiencing the issues some have with controlling the aircraft on rotation.  I use very minimal back pressure and the plane flies off nicely and roll control seems appropriate.

On the negative side so far I'm really REALLY struggling with pitch control, and I would echo Greg's struggles with the AP's altitude modes.  I understand how it's supposed to work, I'm just struggling to get it to work that way.  Stalls?  Heck, I haven't gotten enough command of pitch to even think of attempting any stall sequences.

As an aside, I'm more and more convinced that it's time to invest some serious $$ in a good force feedback yoke and retire my aging Saitek.  I'm slowly trying to sell the CFO on the idea of a Brunner.  I have a hunch I would LOVE this plane if I had one.

Scott

• Upvote 1

Guys, on the autopilot subject, what are the issues you are experiencing? I don't think anything has been reported on the A2A forums.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

1 hour ago, tttocs said:

I have a hunch I would LOVE this plane if I had one.

Hi Folks,

Nothing like the sound of a big bore Continental on a takeoff run...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I am not really experiencing issues with the autopilot so much as I just really prefer the type on the comanche even if it is a "lesser" autopilot

14 hours ago, some1 said:

Guys, on the autopilot subject, what are the issues you are experiencing? I don't think anything has been reported on the A2A forums.

Vertical control can be... frightening. 😀  Both climbing and descending it will be all over the place.  I set it for a 500 fpm descent, turn my attention to other chores in the cockpit, and then I see it taking me down at 1000 fpm.  And it's not a short period of that descent... on one flight I was close to the ground and watched as it took me to a smoking hole!  At about 500' AGL I disconnected the AP and flew away, but it was very disconcerting.  Had it take me to the edge of a stall another time during climb-out.  Had it set for 500 fpm climb @ about 140 kts and then it was climbing at 2000 fpm.  And didn't stop climbing until most of my energy was gone.  Honestly, the airplane flies so well for me I can do better controlling the vertical segment with the trim.  Way better!

Since your work added to 29.0 the AP works with my F1 GTN beautifully.  On GPS approaches it captures the glideslope perfectly... I just have to get the AP to the FAF at the right altitude... and in one piece. 😓

Greg

That's because there is no vertical speed hold function in this autopilot. It maintains constant pitch as set on the Flight Director, so the vertical speed will vary as you change your airspeed and altitude. 

Once you know what to anticipate, it's quite easy to use it to climb and descend. 🙂

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

5 hours ago, some1 said:

That's because there is no vertical speed hold function in this autopilot. It maintains constant pitch as set on the Flight Director, so the vertical speed will vary as you change your airspeed and altitude. 

Mike, I haven't posted at the A2A forums (at least not yet) since I'm still very much learning and adjusting to the plane.  That said, I think my problems have to do with the control difficulties I'm having with pitch.  In order to use an autopilot like this for vertical control I need to have pitch (and coincidentally airspeed and vertical speed) stabilized before arming or "surprising" things happen.  Trying to use the AP to help me get pitch issues under control during climbs or descents is obviously a bad idea. 🙂

As I said, I think a better yoke would be most helpful in my case.

Scott

10 hours ago, some1 said:

Once you know what to anticipate, it's quite easy to use it to climb and descend. 🙂

I understand the KC 290 does not have vertical speed control.  And I understand the effects of airspeed and altitude on pitch angle (AOA).  As I noted, it's far easier for me to simply trim for a pitch angle, including managing the variables of airspeed and altitude, than to rely on the KC 290.  Thanks anyway.

I've been flying this beautiful plane for a while now, so thought it appropriate to update my initial impressions.

In a word, wow.

Still struggling a bit with pitch control, but other than that, well... this is simply the best high performance piston single available for P3D, period.  Before buying this, I'd been spending all my time in Milviz' 310 redux, a simply amazing GA plane.  The A2A Bonanza is everything the 310 is with one significant difference.  No one, and I mean no one other than A2A, models piston engines correctly and that means everything to me as a RW GA pilot.  Other planes get the flight characteristics right - RealAir with the Piston Duke, and Milviz with the 310, for example - but nobody else does piston engine modeling like A2A.

I'm addicted.  The V35 was my GA single dream plane IRL - a plane I'm fortunate enough to have flown - and they've nailed it.

Scott