Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Are you a real world pilot (P3D users only please)

Are you a real world pilot?   

153 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a real world pilot?

• Yes
    • No

No but I listen to them moan all day (about the job they applied for and persuaded someone to give them )

Im sure sometimes they believe they are saving humanity by flying their bus with wings on. 

Im currently looking at an ASR one has written because the crew oven onboard is slightly dirty and another colleague is dealing with a pilot who has left his leather jacket and jeans in the USA hotel room and has  called us on sat phone at 8 dollars a minute (and badgered us on acars) to see if we could help get them back for him.  Hes only on 120k a year 

I love Saturday night shifts.....

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Commercial ticket instrument rated around 3,000 hours. Never flew as a professional pilot but I try to fly like one. Currently fly an SR22 turbo with lots of bells and whistles. Owned a V tail Bonanza for 10 years. Best handling plane I've ever flown.

Walter Berger

Had a pilot's licence since 1997, but find I prefer flying gliders to powered aircraft, as flying them usually involves a lot more excitement, and it's cheaper too, i.e. in a glider...

...it's your skill at flying and knowing the conditions which keeps you in the air, there is no option to go around, you have to get the circuit and the landing right first time every time, they are generally stressed for a bit more aerobatic flight than most other GA aeroplanes, the turns are usually steeper and more fun because of the necessity to centre in lift, they are typically stressed for a slightly faster Vne than many powered GA aeroplanes, you can spin them, you generally get to fly a lot closer to other aircraft than is the case with powered GA aeroplanes for example when in a thermal with other gliders or when sharing ridge lift with others, you have to be pretty good at flying in formation if you aerotow into the air, winch launches are great fun. And so on.

I got my licence before I really got into flight simming on a PC. I'd had the odd flight simulator on a Commodore 64 computer (including Flight Simulator when it was made by SubLogic prior to Microsoft owning it), but I didn't even own a PC until after I'd got my pilot's licence. I daresay it would have been useful to have something like P3D when learning to fly, but since I didn't have a PC at that time, I just read a load of books on flying and then booked a residential pilot course, evidently all that reading up seemed to work, my logbook records me being sent for my first solo after 7 hours and 15 minutes of dual instruction.

I work on aeroplanes at Manchester Airport where I'm a Ramp Agent for Aviator (so that's working on A319s A320s A321s, A330s, 737NGs, CRJs and the occasional weird one such as an Antonov AN-12 or whatever), so I'm around aeroplanes a lot, doing load ups, offloads, marshaling aircraft, towing them, checking them, operating the headsets when pushing them out etc, etc. I've done some other aviation-related work over the years too, such as producing pilot/aircraft manuals for airlines and that kind of thing.

I also use P3D for teaching people stuff because in addition to being a Ramp Agent, I occasionally work as a software trainer (typically on Adobe software since I am an Adobe Certified Expert Trainer): All the stuff you can make for a flight sim such as P3D provides a number of useful opportunities in teaching how to do that kind of stuff, i.e. using PS to teach people how to make textures for models, using C4D for showing people how to model things and export various formats suitable for use in P3D etc.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hey OP, even for informal research, this data won’t give you any useful information about the precentage of Prepar3d users who pilots, due to the profound degree of selection bias. If you just went by the comments it would suggest that almost all P3D users are pilots, mostly with a great deal of experience. This is reflected to a lesser degree in the poll.

What your research does suggest is that the old joke is true:

Q. How do you know if there’s a pilot at your party?

A. Don’t worry, he’ll let you know!

😊

• Like 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Never owned a pilot license but I work at the airport though (EFHK) 

Tapani Österberg

Been airline flying for 25 years and lucky enough to fly the 727, 737, 747 and still flying to this day. My greatest pleasure in flight simming is purchasing 3rd party scenery of airports that I have visited (or not) over the years. Another highlight is buying aircraft that I’ve never flown in real life from GA to transport category airliners.

I’ve enjoyed living here at Avsim during days off or work layovers over the years foliowing folks solving software issues for themselves then others and announcing new products. It’s a great community and I thank each and everyone of you. Keep the fighting clean for those who can’t help themselves. But seeing the talent that’s here the Flight SIM future can only get brighter.

VR is my way of simming now and looking forward to seeing more advances in technology in the years to come to get that nice 4K quality vision.

IM

12 minutes ago, Iceman2 said:

VR is my way of simming now and looking forward to seeing more advances in technology in the years to come to get that nice 4K quality vision.

It'd be interesting to know if real pilots favour VR more than non-pilots. I think an HMD replicates the feeling of looking around a cockpit very well, in a way that even Track IR never does (and a mouse doesn't even come close to). There's an old cliche that simmers tend to not look around and be situationally aware when put in a real plane (they just look at the gauges). I wonder if VR changes this?

And how does the VR experience compare to siting in a real 727/737/747 cockpit? (I've sat in the jump seat of a 777 in flight, but that's about it for my commercial jet experience).

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I started using flight-sim since I was 8 or so, I am 33 now for reference. I was fortunate enough to be able to make my childhood dream a reality and now they actually pay me to fly. I love it and wouldn't change a thing.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

One more real and simmer pilot, here

PPL(A) for 15 years. Club planes only (Piper, Cessna, Cirrus, Robin). VFR Only. Fly in France and US (San Diego). Around 850 hours. Simmer for 28 years. Started with a Sinclair ZX-81 Flight Simulation and now on Prepar3D.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

ATP - Type Rated A300, 757/767, Airbus A319,320,321

USAF - F-111, F15E

General Aviation - Bonanza A36 

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

😊

Q: How do pilots navigate to their destination?

A: They don't, they simply stand still and let the world revolve around them. 😁

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

And how does the VR experience compare to siting in a real 727/737/747 cockpit? (I've sat in the jump seat of a 777 in flight, but that's about it for my commercial jet experience).

PMDG have done a great job on the 747 cockpit and most objects are 3D modeled and therefore I would consider it to be a very true to life VR experience. Other developers are great to.. the Maddog comes to mind although I’ve never sat in a real one.

But you’re right VR really helps bring the situational awareness into simming. 

IM

• Upvote 1

Received my PPL in 1981.  Commercial, instrument, and CFI in 1983.  ATP and first type rating (IA-Jet) in 1989.  Hold five type ratings (IA-JET, LR-JET, LR-45, DA-2000, CL-30).  Also taught in a Level C LR-35 and LR-55 simulators for 3.5 years.  Began using flight simulators in 1990 with ATP Sublogic.  Owned and used Elite MD80, PS-1, FS2000 through FSX.  Made the jump to P3D with v4 and 64-bit availability.  Currently, use P3Dv4.3 and PSX for the majority of my flight simulator activities. Occasionally use FSX and FS9 for flying older aircraft (e.g., CS B707, Cal Classics).

Hope this was helpful.

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

14 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Hey OP, even for informal research, this data won’t give you any useful information about the precentage of Prepar3d users who pilots, due to the profound degree of selection bias. If you just went by the comments it would suggest that almost all P3D users are pilots, mostly with a great deal of experience. This is reflected to a lesser degree in the poll.

What your research does suggest is that the old joke is true:

😊

If the party is planned on a day hes working he go sick for it.

If the party is planned on his day off, he go fatigued after it

the amount of  "im sick for tomorrow" calls  ive taken in OCC over the years and heard  "come on eillen" that classic party hit being played in the background is nearly in triple figures... or the DJ in Bar Med in Crawley annoucing "whos in the house" and yes i know Bar Med has now closed down....

Edited by tooting
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png