Sign in to follow this  
Juan Miguel Thurburn

PMDG 737 Installer will not launch

12 hours ago, pedrotrindade said:

Juan, do you have enough space on your new SSD to install the 737? Don't know if is this legal but can you try to install on other computer (from a friend or family) just to test the installer?

Thank you, I tried it in my wife's computer and it works, tells me it cannot find the PR3D path, of course. But the file seems to work there. Good signal.

1 hour ago, 30K said:

Ok, my 2 cents:

1. Turn off the UAC for the testing, meaning no asking, nothing -> completely off. Sometimes as Kyle mentioned the explorer gets stuck while reading the file. (simplified)

2. redownload and share the hash of the file, doesn't matter which one just tell us if it's 1, 32, 64 or 256 etc.. A good way is the have 7zip. It adds the option CRC SHA to the context menu of your files. (for easy copy-paste double-click the value.)

After doing this;

Move the installer to your E drive. Then do step 1.

Try running in compatibility mode, use Win7 64. This can help if the install shield has a problem with the windows version (again simplified).

Launch your browser in admin mode then redownload- do step 1 and 2 here again.

This is all I can think of right now.

Thank you! Not sure I understand completely but the CRC for the installer file is 673375CA. Cant find the SHA, help please.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:39 PM, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

Here we go:

1. All new hardware, with all legal software. Intel Core I7 7700 3,60 GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080 8GB Video card, SSD 250 GB as Boot Disk, SSD 500 GB for flight simulation programs. Operating System is Windows 10 Pro (licensed) updated by Microsoft automatically. All 64, processor and operating system Initially installed PR3DV4 on disk C : This is a 250 GB SSD, All addons also installed in C
  2. Running out of space I installed Disk E: This is a 500 GB SSD primarily for flight simulation programs. 
  3. Installed PMDG 737 initially in disk C : and worked well. Never needed to reinstall again, this nor any other program. All worked well. no unexpected close downs, nothing. Perfect. The PMDG 737 installed correctly, once and for ever until now.
  4. Migrated all programs to disk E: all done under the same protocol. Uninstall here. Install there. all works fine again. Now I have plenty of disk space to continue with scenarios, other addons, etc. Not one problem, except for PMDG 737. All installers are run from the extracted file, not from the ZIP. All are run "As Administrator". 
  5. Opened a Ticket with your colleagues. Followed their instructions, deactivated the AV, even uninstalled it. Turned off Windows Firewall. Downloaded the installer from your site again, making sure I was using the latest available. 
  6. Made sure the registry was clean from older installations, using 1) Advance System Care (paid version) and 2) CCleaner. No issues. Looked up the registry myself, found no traces.
  7. Tried running the installer from the other disks, C : and D :
  8. Used Free Download Manager first, then direct from the Browser. No difference, installer does not work.
  9. Browser used for downloads is Chrome. 
  10. The systems uses Microsoft Office (licensed) and One Drive cloud services. No "strange software". No cracks. Everything works well and very fast. 
  11. No one else than me works with this equipment. 
  12. Difficult to think something unique in my computer being such a careful and compliant user.

What else please. Thanks, Juan Miguel.

Kyle, you had asked for this information. Is there anything else you can do for me please?

9 hours ago, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

Thank you! Not sure I understand completely but the CRC for the installer file is 673375CA. Cant find the SHA, help please.

Found them!

CRC 32 673375CA

CRC 64 D3E8C248C406CE3F

SHA 256 DAED2496159D9F8782FDE31386C733B009DE68AD87EA9EFEF61A4799F17B4EAC

SHA 1 C185479D9136BDED7CEF345C9D9AC9F498B74372

BLAKE2sp E9309AE403EF6FA49E1448CD8E97EC9D0B834A673852EBA2A5D867190FC815E9

23 hours ago, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

SHA 256 DAED2496159D9F8782FDE31386C733B009DE68AD87EA9EFEF61A4799F17B4EAC

Our Checksums are identical so you have a valid non-corrupt file.

Did anything else help you? Please elaborate 🙂

Thank you, I tried it in my wife's computer and it works, tells me it cannot find the PR3D path, of course. But the file seems to work there. Good signal.

Okay well... another way to do it lol. Also, One checksum would have been enough, just FYI.

Edited by 30K

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Thanks very much.again. The fact is that a year ago when PR3D was installed in drive C : all worked well and the 737 was installed and worked perfectly. As explained above, the problem came when I re-installed PR3D and all the other software in drive E: where all works well again except for PMDG's 737. 

What is happening to the PMDG installer that has not happened with all the other programs, starting by PR3D itself (see the long list of successful re-installations above)?

What does the PMDG installer to fail, what is it doing that the others either don't do or do successfully?

No one in the PMDG team has addressed these questions. They insist in telling me "it is YOUR problem" and get angry with me saying that millions of customers never had this issue.They seem to be more interested in defending their product than in solving their customer's problem. No one in upper management nor in their Quality Department seems to know what is going on with this "ONE" customer in millions. 

Any clues you may have, you seem to be very much on top of this. Appreciate your willingness to help.

What happened when you followed my bits of advice?

Please try to capture your screen while doing so. 

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

I moved the installer file to drive E: where the new PR3D is installed. Turned UAC off. Tried again and nothing, no dialog box, no cursor turning into a rotating blue circle, nothing. Tried to run in Windows 7 (I have no Windows 7-64 option in the Properties file tab) and nothing.

Henrik, do you know how this installer works? It appears to go first to check where PR3D is installed. If not found (like in my wife's computer) comes back with a message.Any other preliminary check that it might be failing? Windows registry has correctly updated the file location in E: so that should not be the issue.

I am sorry for not having been given access to the PMDG development team, as they surely know what is the installer doing from a start and fails to do. Do you know anyone in that team to access directly with this question?

Thanks once more.

1 hour ago, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

What is happening to the PMDG installer that has not happened with all the other programs, starting by PR3D itself (see the long list of successful re-installations above)?

Unsure. To be honest...what is happening to your computer where it is literally the only one seeing this issue? This is something you've seen yourself: it has worked before, it works on another computer you have access to, and it works with a different drive config.

What does the PMDG installer to fail, what is it doing that the others either don't do or do successfully?

Unsure, but also, see above.

No one in the PMDG team has addressed these questions. They insist in telling me "it is YOUR problem" and get angry with me saying that millions of customers never had this issue.They seem to be more interested in defending their product than in solving their customer's problem.

Well, again, to be honest, when you are the only customer having this issue - and have used the installer before (and have now shown for yourself that it works on other computers) - the facts point to the issue being caused by your own computer. It has nothing to do with "defending" anything. I want this issue to be solved for you. The issue is that, if your computer at one point allowed the installer to run, and now it isn't allowing the software to run, then your computer changed in a way to cause this.

Also, nobody is getting angry. I've gotten a bit terse because you weren't answering my questions, but I can't see where anyone got angry. Though your next line is kind of telling...

No one in upper management nor in their Quality Department seems to know what is going on with this "ONE" customer in millions. 

We don't have "upper management," nor do we have a "Quality Department." This puts across the idea that we've just passed you around because nobody wanted to address the problem. Meanwhile, you just talked to multiple people in support (because that's how our support system works to be sure nobody's ticket gets "stuck" waiting on someone's response if it doesn't need to), and I volunteered to dive in here.

2 minutes ago, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

I am sorry for not having been given access to the PMDG development team, as they surely know what is the installer doing from a start and fails to do. Do you know anyone in that team to access directly with this question?

You know, I'm honestly kind of baffled, and a little bit angered. The passive aggression is a bit much, and at this point, it's getting to the point where it's a little more aggressive than I'm willing to put up with.

1. You've been talking to them.

2. Look at my signature...

Best of luck.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, thanks for your notes. In summary, so far the two main takeaways from our exchange are 1) that the problem is with me and my system and / or my equipment, and 2) that your are being honest with me and the other readers.

In fact, I totally agree with both statements so, it you like, I would not see a need for your repeating them any more in this thread, thank you. 

Next, In your capacity as Developer could you please at least describe briefly the steps followed by the PMDG installer program at the very start, just after double clicking on the file, that could guide me or others being more knowledgeable than me to understand what could be happening that is causing it to cease to work shortly after? Simple as that.

Only you can know the answer to this question so I remain confident you will share it here with us. 

Besides, I might be the only customer in the world having this problem today but, at least in theory, I could only be the first in a line that is yet not visible to you.

Solution: PDMG's installer file will  work perfectly when launched from a different Windows user. I logged in as my wife and all worked well. 

Thanks to those friends in the forum that came up with positive proposals, specially  30K, pedrotrinidade and downscc. Your contributions helped me a lot in finding the way out from this little nightmare! You made me feel I was not on my own!

On 9/19/2018 at 12:39 AM, Juan Miguel Thurburn said:

2) CCleaner.

I‘m so <not> surprised that this is on your list after reading the symptoms. I can‘t actually tell you for sure what to do now (Chris and Kyle have much more experience) but CCleaner is very well known in the flight sim community as a tool that is commonly used and even more frequently corrupting the system. Any programs that pretend to maintain your computer by deleting various stuff by themselves should be avoided. And as Ccleaner even loves to mess around with your registry I can‘t recommend its use at all. 

Honestly, kick this piece of 💩 over board, repair your system and install te 737 afterwards 

edit: ah I see there‘s a second page... the mobile version of avsim isn‘t that obvious 😄 anyway: ccleaner is cra.p

Edited by Ephedrin
  • Like 1