Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Active Sky VI and FSBuild - how to edit my config file?

Dear All: Tried to post on the FSB website.Can anyone tell me how to edit the FSB.cfg file to get it to work with Active Sky VI (ASv6) to use winds aloft? My config settings are below. ASv6 is in the following directory on my hard drive: F:Flightsimulator9ModulesASv6 My FSB config currently looks like this: [FSBUILD] AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=1 MAGYEAR=2002 AIRCRAFT=B737-700 w/ CFM56-7B24 SBPC_SERVER=www.vatsim.net ROUTELINE=1 NATRAKURL=www.natroutes.glideslope.de/html/nats.php3 WEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKY [MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR] FS_HOME=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9 AS2004=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESACTIVESKY2004 [FLY!] [PS1] [X-PLANE] [sTARTUP] CLEARMAP_BEFORE_BUILD DISPRTEWPTSONMAP WINDS_ALOFT RVSM_FL AUTOREFRESH_ON What do I have to change on the above to get FSbuild to use the latest version of Active Sky? Also - I have selected the "use winds aloft" in the options menu of FSbuild. Also, I seem to have to select the Browse - Active Sky 4 and also the Browse - "Active Sky" directories (the latter of which I am pointing to ASv6) in order to get ANY weather program options to show up in the weather choice programs menu. Otherwise I do not even get a choice of ANY weather programs in the weather box. Anyone? Thanks so much. Chris Catalano

You shouldn't have to edit the config file. AS is set in the FSB options menu.Options -> Settings tab -> Weather Drop Down = ACTIVESKY2004-ASVTo the left of that, under the "Build" options, check "Apply Winds Aloft Data".At the bottom, press the "Export Directories" Tab Press the "Browse" button next to "Active Sky 2004" and browse to and select your ActiveSky v6 folder, probably C:Program FilesActiveSkyModulesASV6 or where ever you installed ASv6. Be sure to browse down and click on the ASV6 folder in the "Browse For Folder" window. ASV6 folder contains the actual weather metar files pulled from the AS servers.Back on the bottom "Settings" tab, press the big "Save Config Options" button.Restart FSB and ASv6. Let ASv6 pull-down the current weather.Create a plan in FSB and "build" it. Now you should winds-aloft in the last column of the build-table.Hope this helps...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Sorry Jim, I was waiting for the FSX Demo down-load to start so I thought I would write him a note explaining it, LOL...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Hi,Not a problem! You are a great help!! One day I am going to have you write some "How To's"!!Hope this helps,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

I can't figure this out whatsoever. Do I need to also select a path for line 25 in the export directories in FSB (line 25 is ACTIVE SKY). I have the export directory in line 26 (AS2004) of the export directories as follows:ACTIVE SKY 2004:F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESASV6Here is my FSB congig file:AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=1MAGYEAR=2006AIRCRAFT=B737-700 w/ CFM56-7B24SBPC_SERVER=www.vatsim.netROUTELINE=1NATRAKURL=www.natroutes.glideslope.de/html/nats.php3WEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKYFS_HOME=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9ACTIVESKY=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESAS2004=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESASV6CLEARMAP_BEFORE_BUILDDISPRTEWPTSONMAPWINDS_ALOFTRVSM_FLAUTOREFRESH_ONI have apply winds aloft data checked off in the options. No matter what I do, the only choice I seem to get in the OPTIONS drop down menu called "Weather" is called AVTIVESKY. Ernie said that my config file should read like this:WEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKY2004-ASVbut this seems to eliminate any weather choices in the OPTIONS drop down menu called "Weather". I really want this to work. Can you tell me how your FSBconfig file differs? Any ideas?Thanks as always.Chris Catalano

I'm sorry, I at work now and don't have access to my FSB config file at the moment. One thing that concerns me is, you keep indicating that your ASv6 intsallation is under the FS9Modules directory. That is not correct or least, it shouldn't be there. Where did you install ASv6 during setup? You didn't install ASv6 directly into the FS9Modules folder did you? Although ASv6 does copy some files and a directory over to the FS9modules directory, that is not the normal location of the actual ASv6 program installation. If you took the default setup of ASv6, I think the directory you're looking for is C:Program FilesActiveSkyModulesASv6. If I were you, I would repost this thread over in the ActiveSky forum, listed further down the tree here on Avsim. Either something is wrong with your ASv6 installation or you are not locating the correct path. If you don't get any help by the time I get home tonight (EDT), I will get you through this. It does work so don't be too alarmed.Again, there is no reason to be editing your FSB config file directly. I've been running FSB for years and have always had an easy time of using the built-in options menu within FSB, which edits the config for you.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I do not even have a folder called avtive sky in my program files folder. I installed FS9 on my ecternal hard drive (F drive in this case). There is no ACtive Sky folder in the program files folder on the F drive either. In fact, several others seemed to indicate that my path would be correct. Now I am REALLY confused! Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated. The only folders I have that relate to this are the actually the install package folders - I have one folder that says ActiveSky 6 Install package and another one that says ASV Install files.Thanks.Chris Catalano

Guest bigun

Chris, Active Sky is in the *:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesASv6. (Where * is your FS hard drive)

Mine has always been in F:Flight Simulator 9ModulesASv6 - all my FS9 installation is not in the program files folder - it has always been in its own root directory folder on my F drive & ASv6 always runs fine. This is what my config for FS build looks like each time after I save the changes to my config in the options menu of FSB:[FSBUILD]AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=1MAGYEAR=2006AIRCRAFT=B737-700 w/ CFM56-7B24SBPC_SERVER=www.vatsim.netROUTELINE=1NATRAKURL=www.natroutes.glideslope.de/html/nats.php3WEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKY[MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR]FS_HOME=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9ACTIVESKY=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESAS2004=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESASV6Do the paths look correct in both places? This is what the cfg file says they are and I think they are correct too. Any ideas?Chris Catalano

Chris, here is my FSBuild2.cfg file. For easy reference, my FS9 installation is in its own partition, E: drive. ASv6 is on my other (WideFS) computer. Basically my Z: drive is mapped to the C: drive on the other computer. Please do this and report back here. You should have an ASv6 startup icon on your desktop. Right-click on it and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu. Then choose the "Shortcut" tab at the top and tell me exactly what is in the "target" box. Please indicate the full path. Please do the same thing for your FS9 icon on the desktop as well. FSBUILDAUTOREFRESH_DELAY=1MAGYEAR=2002AIRCRAFT=B747-400 PMDGSBPC_SERVER=www.vatsim.netROUTELINE=1NATRAKURL=http://www.fsbuild.com/nat.htmlWEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKY2004-ASVMS-FLIGHTSIMULATORFS_HOME=E:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9FSC_PLN=Z:PROGRAM FILESFSCFSPLANAS2004-ASV=Z:PROGRAM FILESACTIVESKYMODULESASV6FLY!PS1X-PLANESTARTUPSTEP_CLIMBCLEARMAP_BEFORE_BUILDDISPRTEWPTSONMAPWINDS_ALOFTRVSM_FLF1ATR72FS2000_GPSFSCLDS767PMDG737NGAUTOREFRESH_ONLOADNATSLOADPATCOSWNATS

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

My AS 6 path is as follows:"F:Flight Simulator 9ModulesASv6ASv6.exe"My FS 9 path is as follows:"F:Flight Simulator 9fs9.exe"My FSB path is as follows:F:FSBuildFsbuild2.exeIt seems I actually got it to work today, although the only thing I can get to show up in the drop down weather menu is Active sky IV. But, it seems I am getting fairly accurate results. It seems that I was also unable to see the drop down weather arrow itself bacuse I had the folders at the left fully expanded as as such, I could not actually "see" the arrow itself that drops down the weather choices. This being said, I only can get the ACTIVE SKY IV choice in the weather drop down box. I cannot get the ACTIVESKY 2004-V choice to show up.Hese is my current FSB config:[FSBUILD]AUTOREFRESH_DELAY=1MAGYEAR=2002AIRCRAFT=B737-700 w/ CFM56-7B24SBPC_SERVER=www.vatsim.netROUTELINE=1NATRAKURL=www.natroutes.glideslope.de/html/nats.php3WEATHERPROG=ACTIVESKY2004[MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR]FS_HOME=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9AS2004=F:FLIGHT SIMULATOR 9MODULESASV6[FLY!][PS1][X-PLANE][sTARTUP]CLEARMAP_BEFORE_BUILDDISPRTEWPTSONMAPWINDS_ALOFTAUTOREFRESH_ONThanks for the help. Any thoughts?Chris Catalano

OK, good, I'm glad it's working for but honestly I'm surprised it is. What you have done is, during the installation of ASv6, you selected F:Flight Simulator 9 as your installation directory. That is not a good idea becuase now you have root-ASv6 files inside your FS9 folder which could contain dll files that FS9 doesn't know what to do with. ASv6 should have been installed in it's own new directory on its installation screen. Such as C:Program FilesActive Sky (which is a default). Active Sky-setup will locate your FS9 installation directory and copy the its relevant files over to the FS9Modules folder for you. Don't try to out-smart Damien, he's got you covered. You could have changed this to F:Active Sky if you wished, but not in the Flight-sim path (bad, bad, idea). After a proper installation, you would have the full ASv6 path created for you such as C:Program FilesActive SkyModulesASV6asv6.exe which is where the desktop icon should point to in the "target" field.I hightly recommend you uninstall ASv6 and re-install it. Then configure FSB again.Hope this helps...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Also, after instlling the FSB version 2.2.2 and re-installing ASv6, go ahead and edit your FSB2.cfg file and change the line for NAT tracks download to this exact "NATRAKURL" line below. Ernie is supplying the tracks directly and the default no longer works.NATRAKURL=http://www.fsbuild.com/nat.html

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE