Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

8700k / 1080 - curved monitor question

Hi fellas,

I made the mistake of looking at a friend's rig with a curved 34-inch (what I assume was 4k) monitor the other day, now daddy want one. What I'm wondering is, what resolution can I run reasonably. I currently have a 27-inch 1080p, and I can pretty much max everything out and it runs wonderfully. Am I asking too much of my rig if I upgraded to 4k? I mostly fly GA piston singles, so I'm not asking for LAX in a 787 with 100% traffic, etc.

And frankly, if a 1080p or 1440 curved 34-inch is a better choice, I'm fine with that. I just want the extra real estate on the screen and a good experience.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts!

Hi!

I use a Predator X34a monitor. Such ultra wide monitors are usually not 4k but UQHD, so 3440x1440. I run a Gtx1080 non Ti and it does fine with P3D, my frames are locked at 30fps and my rig (see my signature) is usually at this rate, except maybe in Lax with the Fslabs A320 or similar scenarios.

I am very happy with it so far.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

1 hour ago, TopGun33 said:

Hi!

I use a Predator X34a monitor. Such ultra wide monitors are usually not 4k but UQHD, so 3440x1440. I run a Gtx1080 non Ti and it does fine with P3D, my frames are locked at 30fps and my rig (see my signature) is usually at this rate, except maybe in Lax with the Fslabs A320 or similar scenarios.

I am very happy with it so far.

Does your monitor have G Sync? I'm just realizing now I probably need that. 

Yes it does. You don't notice it until you switch it off.

Same for the curving and the ultra wide. You start noticing it when you go back to a regular display. Then you realize the wow factor.

• Like 1

Guillaume

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

What I'm wondering is, what resolution can I run reasonably.

It depends on your current system specs. What hardware do you have?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

20 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

It depends on your current system specs. What hardware do you have?

Good question lol, in my initial reply I assumed as per thread title that he runs a 8700K and a Gtx1080 but I might be wrong ha ha😁

Guillaume

2 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

Good question lol, in my initial reply I assumed as per thread title that he runs a 8700K and a Gtx1080 but I might be wrong ha ha😁

Who ever looks at the thread title (he says embarrassingly)? - I just opened it as the next unread thread. That said (now that I'm paying attention), your system should be good for 4k but would run much better at QHD or ultra-wide QHD. I would say that 4k on anything less than a 40" screen is wasted - you get all of the extra system load required by 4k with little visual improvement over QHD.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

56 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Who ever looks at the thread title (he says embarrassingly)? - I just opened it as the next unread thread. That said (now that I'm paying attention), your system should be good for 4k but would run much better at QHD or ultra-wide QHD. I would say that 4k on anything less than a 40" screen is wasted - you get all of the extra system load required by 4k with little visual improvement over QHD.

Yes, I have the 8700k and 10180, neither overclocked. I would love a 34 inch curved, but with G Sync the price is rather steep. If I could get one under $500 I'd jump on it, I just haven't been able to find one at that price. 

I've been running a 40" 4k flat monitor for about a year at the highest possible resolution, with loads of addons and high settings.  Not bad at all, not bad.  Tomorrow I'm getting what's supposedly a pc-gaming friendly 55inch curved TV, so I'm hoping the performance will be on par with what I have now. 

Here's another question: suppose I went with something like this, which doesn't have g sync. 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM60-P-34-Inch-Ultrawide-Freesync/dp/B06Y28LK9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm not some super dork that needs the best of the best. If this had good resolution and was stutter-free, I'd be pretty happy. Heck, I have a 27-inch non-g Sync flat monitor right now and I'm pretty happy with that. I just want the real estate. Is something like the monitor above worth a shot? If it would work I'd buy that at the drop of a hat. 

Thanks for all your replies!

I have an Asus Predator 34" wide screen monitor running at 3440 x1440 Gsync on and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It works very well with TrackIR for flightsimming.

• Like 1

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

21 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Here's another question: suppose I went with something like this, which doesn't have g sync. 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM60-P-34-Inch-Ultrawide-Freesync/dp/B06Y28LK9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's worth looking at some of the one star reviews for this which say that, unlike the image on the web page, the actual screen image has a 1cm black border around it inside the physical bezel (you can also see this on some of the YouTube reviews) so the screen size is not really 34". You might be better off considering a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which would give you exactly the same horizontal  field of view as the ultrawide, but with the advantage of more vertical field of view on just an inch or so narrower screen. Plus, you can get a 32" 2560x1440 monitor from BenQ or AOC for less than $300 (I have a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and I'm very pleased with it).

Edited by vortex681

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

It's worth looking at some of the one star reviews for this which say that, unlike the image on the web page, the actual screen image has a 1cm black border around it inside the physical bezel (you can also see this on some of the YouTube reviews) so the screen size is not really 34". You might be better off considering a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which would give you exactly the same horizontal  field of view as the ultrawide, but with the advantage of more vertical field of view on just an inch or so narrower screen. Plus, you can get a 32" 2560x1440 monitor from BenQ or AOC for less than $300 (I have a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and I'm very pleased with it).

Yeah, yesterday I started looking at exactly that: 16:9 32" monitors. You like yours a lot? And in VC I assume you can see the panel better? I fly the ASA Cherokee a lot, with TrackIR, and I think that would really be nice. 

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

You like yours a lot?

Yes. I wanted something around 32" and this seemed to be the best size/resolution/performance balance. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think you really benefit that much going for 4k at this sort of size when you take into account the extra load it puts on your system. Think of this size as just about the same as the ultrawide but with more image above and below.

Just now, vortex681 said:

Yes. I wanted something around 32" and this seemed to be the best size/resolution/performance balance. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think you really benefit that much going for 4k at this sort of size when you take into account the extra load it puts on your system. Think of this size as just about the same as the ultrawide but with more image above and below.

That's great to hear. And I would much rather have the vertical viewing space - I'm a real-life pilot, working on my instrument rating, and I need the panel much more than the eye candy of a more "immersive" view.

I just found an HP 32" 1440 at WorstBuy for $279 on sale. I'm grabbing that bad boy. I will report back - thanks so much for saving me $500.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-32-led-qhd-monitor-black-with-silver-stand/5759502.p?skuId=5759502