Sign in to follow this  
eslader

P3d4 Cockpit sounds, volume changing spontaneously.

Odd problem. I'll be flying along and a sound will suddenly drop in volume by half or so. It's not always the same sound - sometimes it's the bleed air packs, sometimes it's the wind noise, sometimes it's the engines. Over the next minute or so, the sound will usually slowly ramp back up to where it was before.

This often happens when I'm on autopilot at cruise altitude and am not actually touching anything on the keyboard or controls, so I'm fairly sure I'm not doing it. I put the Windows 10 volume control panel up in another monitor and watched it, but the sliders don't move when this happens. It's a significant enough drop in sound level that when it first started happening I'd check the engine gauges thinking one or two had quit.

Anyone else experience this?

So far this has only happened in the 747v3. None of the other planes in my stable, including the 737NGX, are doing this.

Edited by eslader

What is odd is that you hear anything besides air stream noise in the B747... like the B737 that is a noisy cockpit.  Hearing the engines in cruise? Hmm.

Dan Downs KCRP

The engine sound was more noticeable when it got quieter during a climbout. I can hear them in cruise, though - they're not loud but they're there. It might help that I almost always fly with headphones because my wife gets tired of the cockpit noises. 😉

10 hours ago, eslader said:

The engine sound was more noticeable when it got quieter during a climbout. I can hear them in cruise, though - they're not loud but they're there. It might help that I almost always fly with headphones because my wife gets tired of the cockpit noises. 😉

If you fly with headphones, then you're using a 2 speaker system. Check to ensure your sound card/device isn't set to surround or 5.1 mode. Sounds like it might be sending the audio to devices that aren't actually there.

Kyle Rodgers

They're wireless USB, so they have their own sound settings which can be either 2 speaker or a fake surround mode that sounds stupid and I never use it.

The actual sound card is set to 2 speakers also because I don't have a surround setup on my computer.

1 minute ago, eslader said:

They're wireless USB, so they have their own sound settings which can be either 2 speaker or a fake surround mode that sounds stupid and I never use it.

The actual sound card is set to 2 speakers also because I don't have a surround setup on my computer.

And the sim is set to the headset device? Does the headset include a mic?

Kyle Rodgers

Yup, the sim's set to the headset. The headset does have a mic, yes. Hmm, that's an avenue to investigate isn't it. Next time it happens I'll check the hot-mic light and see if the mic has turned on. Although it's odd that it only happens on the 747 and not any other plane including your 737. I had been wondering if maybe you have such a sound-rich environment on the 747 that it's overwhelming the (most likely sub-par) sound processing the headset uses, though that wouldn't necessarily explain why it just reduces in volume rather than cutting out completely.

Edited by eslader

1 hour ago, eslader said:

Yup, the sim's set to the headset. The headset does have a mic, yes. Hmm, that's an avenue to investigate isn't it. Next time it happens I'll check the hot-mic light and see if the mic has turned on. Although it's odd that it only happens on the 747 and not any other plane including your 737. I had been wondering if maybe you have such a sound-rich environment on the 747 that it's overwhelming the (most likely sub-par) sound processing the headset uses, though that wouldn't necessarily explain why it just reduces in volume rather than cutting out completely.

Figured it would...

Try this:

Right click on the speaker icon in your system tray (down by the clock) and select Sounds. Once the Sounds window is open, click on the Communications tab across the top, if you don't want the sound to drop select the last option, "Do Nothing" and hit apply, this should take care of your sound issues.

The reason this does this is due to the default setting Microsoft has for "Communication Devices" and reduces the volume of other sounds by 80%.

Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

I've done that and will report back on the results. Thanks much for sticking with this. 🙂

4 minutes ago, eslader said:

I've done that and will report back on the results. Thanks much for sticking with this. 🙂

Welcome!

Kyle Rodgers

My problem is the CTD when I pause, external view, VC then engines sound doesn't resume and CTD occurs... Or put in another way when I change between view, or pause, the sound doesnt reach to resume before CTD.  This flight was the 747-400. 

I experienced this on PMDG 747/777.. Now 4 flights like this.

I have to try other aircrafts as well. 

(Do you want a support package attached? - if possible)

Thank you

Jens Michlas

Have latest GTX 970 driver, win 7 - 64, p3d v 4.3., Orbx Vector, base, AS Heraklion, flytampa LGAV, Radar Contact, .Active Sky v4, Envdir,

Lognavn:       Application
Kilde:         Application Error
Dato:          20-09-2018 22:07:32
Hændelses-id:  1000
Opgavekategori:(100)
Niveau:        Fejl
Nøgleord:      Klassisk
Bruger:        I/T
Computer:      Julean-Pc
Beskrivelse:
Navn på program med fejl: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.3.29.25520, tidsstempel: 0x5b2c3263
Navn på modul med fejl: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24231, tidsstempel: 0x5b6db5a7
Undtagelseskode: 0xc0000374
Forskydning med fejl 0x00000000000bf302
Proces-id 0x708
Programmets starttidspunkt 0x01d451054ce47583
Programsti: E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Modulsti: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Rapport-id: ce4b8bf3-bd10-11e8-9386-f832e4866aa9
Hændelses-Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-09-20T20:07:32.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>72160</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Julean-Pc</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>4.3.29.25520</Data>
    <Data>5b2c3263</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.24231</Data>
    <Data>5b6db5a7</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>00000000000bf302</Data>
    <Data>708</Data>
    <Data>01d451054ce47583</Data>
    <Data>E:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>ce4b8bf3-bd10-11e8-9386-f832e4866aa9</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Descending LGIR Heraklion above Kreta

OE1ZfyR.jpg

Edited by Julean

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

42 minutes ago, Julean said:

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

This isn't us.

The lack of sounds is also an indicator something else is afoot. Look for changes to your system.

Kyle Rodgers

crashes with reports pointing towards ntdll.dll <<often>> occure due to incompatible addons that have been made for previous versions of P3D.. There has been a long post by RSR in the beginning of v4 about this.. Check your addons for incombatibilities. And honestly from my personal experience I would start with sceneries.

Thank you for the answer..

So my P3D has been Scenery contaminated... 

I start diggin..

all the best

Jens

Jens Michlas
Frederiksberg, Copenhagen
Denmark

4 hours ago, Julean said:

So my P3D has been Scenery contaminated... 

It's probably a  little more than just scenery, it will most likely be a code module such as a dll or exe.  Make sure any FSDT you have is updated as recently as four days ago. Did the problem start out of the blue or was there any change to any configuration?

Edited by downscc
  • Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP