Sign in to follow this  
lerche89

LPV approaches for online flying

Hello all
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to do LPV-approaches in P3D using A2A aircraft. I am aware og the GTNs from Flight1 and RXP. But the navdata of these addons cannot be updated, making them less useful for flying online. Does anyone of you have any good suggestions?

Thanks

Christian Lerche

The RXP GTN gauges use the Garmin Trainer V 6.50 and AIRAC 1803, which is not that old.

• Like 1

Hi Christian,

If you plan to use the autopilot for glideslope with A2A aircraft - I believe the Skylane is the only one that will fly an LPV coupled approach... Just read some recent A2A posts wher the Bonanza AP can’t use the GS on LPV...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

You need to have the correct database which has WAAS. If you are in a GA aircraft and do not have WAAS all you can do are ILS, Localizer and LNAV approaches. The LPV gives you a glide slope but are still considered a non- precision approaches.

JeffG

Jeffrey Gerbert

5 hours ago, lerche89 said:

But the navdata of these addons cannot be updated, making them less useful for flying online.

Not trying to contradict you here, but that statement shows a lack of understanding about just how frequently approaches to airports actually change!  Updating to current from say three years ago might provide a very marginal update.  The most frequent changes are to the sequence of Departure and Arrival procedures, and most of those changes are in name only.  i.e. CHICKN5 to CHICKN6 when the only difference is in the sequence from 5 to 6 in the name.  The fixes may not change at all in such a case.  The Approach procedures retain the same naming convention, so the actual changes in fixes on the Approaches is rare.

The most significant updates to approach procedures came with the advent of GPS and LPV approach procedures, and in the USA those have been pretty much complete for three to four years now.  Additions are now mostly to smaller airports who are just now adopting the technology, and to the rare case of an airport adding a runway.

Suggest you focus on flying....

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi Folks,

Just read on the A2A forums - they will be "virtually" connecting the GTN to the AP in a future Bonanza patch to fly fully coupled LPV approaches...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

First flights here with extreme prototype GLJ25 paired with F1 GTN750 (also newly bought for the magnificient LJ25 from XP). I fly online and i was not aware of the GTN database not updating frequently...2 flights until now (one to GOBD, which is a new airport and one to SBRJ santos-dumont) and on both of them i was limited with the GTN. GOBD is new, so ended up doing a VOR navigation and once there execute a GTN free approach. But that was nothing compared to SBRJ which was  a total mess 😄 I want to forget that experience! I was also using newest charts since i got the navigraph cloud subscription so they clearly cannot all work together. One solution would be to use database from 1611 for everything (chart, flight planning..) and put the database you are using in remark section to let the ATCs know about your situation.

Regards

JP