Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition Tear-Down:

Had to be done in two parts!!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

I'll bookmark these videos for when I want to take my 2080ti apart. :rolleyes:

You might be surprised how many people do, if not simply for curiosity about exactly what they just paid more than $1000 for, then for reasons including cleaning: (closed systems like this can gather lots of clogging internal dust), putting in better thermal grease to aid in overclocking, or to add aftermarket parts like water cooling. This also includes changing out a broken part like a malfunctioning fan, or even changing a bad capacitor, which might rescue an otherwise hopelessly dead card somewhere down the road.

Unfamiliarity does not necessarily mean uselessness......

This video made me very happy I chose a partner card rather than the Nvidia brand, since I don't trust what I see of its cooling setup, and it looks very very hard to service due to being held together with at least 80 (seriously) screws.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

You might be surprised how many people do, if not simply for curiosity about exactly what they just paid more than $1000 for, then for reasons including cleaning: (closed systems like this can gather lots of clogging internal dust), putting in better thermal grease to aid in overclocking, or to add aftermarket parts like water cooling. This also includes changing out a broken part like a malfunctioning fan, or even changing a bad capacitor, which might rescue an otherwise hopelessly dead card somewhere down the road.

Unfamiliarity does not necessarily mean uselessness......

This video made me very happy I chose a partner card rather than the Nvidia brand, since I don't trust what I see of its cooling setup, and it looks very very hard to service due to being held together with at least 80 (seriously) screws.

Hiflyer, you are getting a 2080ti, aren´t you? I´m really interested in reading your experience with that card with VR in P3D and XP11 mainly. I´m getting one too, but since I have to wait for an i9 9900k (need to change my whole PC) I´m afraid I´d have to wait for another month or two.

cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Check out the AIB partners GPU teardown much better less hassle.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

5 hours ago, chass32 said:

Hiflyer, you are getting a 2080ti, aren´t you? I´m really interested in reading your experience with that card with VR in P3D and XP11 mainly. I´m getting one too, but since I have to wait for an i9 9900k (need to change my whole PC) I´m afraid I´d have to wait for another month or two.

cheers

Carlos

Yes, I've preordered from NewEgg.

My sense is that I'll see improvements in Aerofly FS2 and probably X-plane, but P3D is CPU-bound enough that I'm only expecting a negligible change, there.

Devons rig

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Yes, I've preordered from NewEgg.

My sense is that I'll see improvements in Aerofly FS2 and probably X-plane, but P3D is CPU-bound enough that I'm only expecting a negligible change, there.

I get exactly the same FPS in XP11 and P3d4 for equivalent settings so I don't know where you are getting your information from.

22 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I get exactly the same FPS in XP11 and P3d4 for equivalent settings so I don't know where you are getting your information from.

I have no idea what an "equivalent setting" between X-Plane and 3PD would look like. To me, that's like saying equivalent settings between Checkers and chess.

Devons rig

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I have no idea what an "equivalent setting" between X-Plane and 3PD would look like. To me, that's like saying equivalent settings between Checkers and chess.

^

LOL

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

So what? Even if it would be possible to have equivalent settings it can still be that you reach 30FPS in P3D due to a CPU-Limit and 30FPS in X-Plane due to a GPU-Limit, as the engines of those two sims simply do not work the same... And in such a scenario, it is possible that the novel 2080Ti will provide you some 20-30% extra FPS in X-Plane and not a single one in Prepar3d. Still questionable though if 1000$ are worth a 20-30% increase...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Nividia will be forced to drop the prices on new the gpu as some enthusiasts will not pay $1200 80ti card or $800 for 80 series card. The 1080ti is $100-$150 cheaper and trade blows with 2080 people care most about raw performance.