Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

2080 2080Ti full review.

Great benches 95 plus % GPU, GPU optimised just like P3Dv4. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

5 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

So does DLSS help with overall performance? Or is it a form of AA that's super efficient?

Rob, are you going to NVLINK/SLI with just one 4k monitor?

There is a lot of tech in the Turing GPUs that will eventually be utilized.  MVR (Multi-View Rendering) for single pass rendering of multiple views.  Mesh Shading that offers better performance for tessellation shifting CPU tasks to GPU tasks.  NVLink is 5X more capable than SLI, Deep Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS) to best quote nVidia:

"Whereas TAA renders at the final target resolution and then combines frames, subtracting detail, DLSS allows faster rendering at a lower input sample count, and then infers a result that at target resolution is similar quality to the TAA result, but with half the shading work."

Good read on all the new features in these next generation GPUs: https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/

But I do agree, the price tag is exactly why console games are so much more popular and their titles usually outsell PC tiltes by factor of 10.  However, consoles have little to no technology I'm interested in, but these Turing GPUs have a virtual gazpacho soup of ideas swirling in my head.

As far as how the 2080Ti will work in current sims, no idea yet (hopefully soon), but if my old TitanXP and 1080Ti can only do 15 FPS @4K with DL enabled at a DL airport with 8XSSAA and these 2080Ti GPUs can do 30 FPS with 8XSSAA then that's paid for itself in terms I what I consider "value".  If we see DLSS added in the future and I go from 30 FPS to 60 FPS with DL then even better.  So I'm pretty optimistic ... but I also know where I'm GPU limited and that's my focus.

Cheers, Rob. 

52 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

iPhone XS Max ordered last week to replace my "old" iPhone X 256GB 🙂  well what did you expect Jay ... technology is my fascination beyond "value".  It seems "Max" is the new "Plus" ... 737 Max, 777 Max ...

I'm trying to discourage my wife from doing the same thing, but to no avail. How about that nice LG 7 I said?

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

Uhhh....does that come with rotary dial or does it have the new fangled push buttons????

Unfortunately, the rotary dial model is only available on a party line.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

How about that nice LG 7 I said?

LG7 is not an OLED display, old tech IPS LCD.  I do like the MicroSD card slot on the LG7 but since I've only used 56GB of my 256GB in my iPhone X it's probably not that relevant for me (I think I have about 1800 pictures on it and 1200 of them our cats).  The LG7 can't record 4K at 60 fps nor 1080 at 240 fps (HDR)?  The iPhone XS Max does have 4 speaker output.  

Oddly, my wife isn't into new phones, but she IS into new iPads ... she still uses an old iPhone 5, but as soon as a new iPad comes out she's on it ... never travels anywhere without it ... her purse/bag (or whatever it is they hang on their shoulders) makes for a good weapon with swing-ability and momentum. 🙂

Good luck!

Cheers, Rob.

Some of the reviews are quite negative. Some reviewers almost seem to be angry if the card doesn't live up to what they believe it should be.

Hearing that from multiple reviewers is actually kind of discouraging. It's making me wonder if I should hold off for a while.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A 2080 achieves the same performance as a 1080Ti (without the new shiny tricks like DLSS), except it's more expensive than a 1080Ti...

So then you could buy it because of DLSS, Mesh Shading etc, but all these things realistically won't be widely adobted before the next gen comes out...so that's a risky investment.

Or you are lucky enough that you don't have to care about money and can just throw it at a 2080Ti. That's their only sensible offer as it stands right now.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Sometimes a straight video is easier to digest than reviewers talking and talking......

My eyes do not see any difference between the 1080 and the 2080 Ti, so why should I get a 2080 Ti I wonder? Maybe in a year or so if P3Dv5 takes some advantage of the new technology in the 2080 Ti.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nas123 said:

My eyes do not see any difference between the 1080 and the 2080 Ti

I don't agree. I think the 1080ti and 2080 seem functionally equivalent, but the 2080ti is adding 20 to 30 fps or more above that, and that's without even counting in DLSS which I think might be what eventually seals the deal.

The elephant in the room for me, is probably something nobody seems to be mentioning, which is VR performance, and I know that these cards have a new, faster VR port which is also something nobody seems to be talking about.

That being said, I have heard that these cards were originally going to be on a smaller 10nm die, which probably would have contributed quite a bit to their speed. They may have been released a bit hastily, from that standpoint. 😞

Devons rig

27 minutes ago, nas123 said:

My eyes do not see any difference between the 1080 and the 2080 Ti, so why should I get a 2080 Ti I wonder?

??

30 minutes ago, LB777 said:

A 2080 achieves the same performance as a 1080Ti

Are you folks watching something completely different?  I'm seeing positive to very positive results in FPS in all these reviews at 4K?  Or, are you talking strictly "visual" differences and not performance difference?  If visual, then I believe it will not be until Oct 10th or so when Microsoft release (via their updates) the DX12 ray tracing extensions ... I think there are about 25 titles currently that support ray tracing extensions and DLSS.  For flight sims, support for these technologies will be almost guaranteed, just a matter of who will get there first.

36 minutes ago, LB777 said:

so that's a risky investment

Definitely would never call a GPU or any computing hardware used for gaming or flight simulations as an "investment" ... it's an expense and rarely will it ever realize more value than original cost (bitcoin miners were the exception but that was a short term anomaly) ... and as such there is no risk since it's not really an investment.  As far as "value", that's between the buyer's expectations and their wallet.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

??

Are you folks watching something completely different?  I'm seeing positive to very positive results in FPS in all these reviews at 4K?.....

Cheers, Rob.

Most of the 4K benchmarks shown in the third post video (page one) show a gain of at best 5~10% for the 2080FE over the 1080Ti. I think most of us budget conscious simmers where expecting a lot more than this.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Bleah..... 🤕

Just got this Email.

We have been informed that we will not be receiving our inventory of the NVIDIA RTX 2080 video cards as anticipated on September 20th, 2018. The release has been delayed until September 27th, 2018. You are welcome to keep your existing pre-order and it will be processed and shipped once we receive inventory, or you can instead choose to cancel your pre-order within your Newegg Account's Order History.

Newegg is dedicated to ensuring our customers are notified and provided all necessary information to make the best shopping selection. Please keep in mind that your method of payment has not been charged for the pre-order.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided in this email, please do not hesitate to contact Newegg Customer Service through one of the convenient contact methods provided here.

Sincerely,
Your Newegg Customer Service

Devons rig

I guess my question (like maybe most here) will be if I keep my I7 7700K (insert your CPU) and swap out the 1080Ti and drop in one of these new cards what will it bring to P3Dv4.xx as I don't really want to build anything new pc-wise for a while?...I'll be watching your posts Rob...:)

On the other-hand.....In Australia we have a business tax law on asset purchases under $20K that allows for full depreciation in the year of purchase (previously it was a % depreciation over a set period of years)...maybe it's time my work PC was flight sim grade able😉...

1 hour ago, gboz said:

Most of the 4K benchmarks shown in the third post video (page one) show a gain of at best 5~10% for the 2080FE over the 1080Ti.

Oh I see now, yes that makes sense since the two cards are at similar price points when comparing to the "here and now" games.  But for future developments/features of games/sims, the standard 2080FE will eventually see "value" over a 1080Ti.

25 minutes ago, YMMB said:

.I'll be watching your posts Rob...:)

I'll only be testing out the 2080Ti's in NVLink and non-NVLink.

Cheers, Rob.