Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

2080 2080Ti full review.

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Personally, I am only upgrading my rig when the next-generation of VR glasses are out. 

Is this post new (or from 2017 or 2016 or 2015 or ...)?

I'm in the same boat I have no intention of buying games that the GPUs are aimed at, interestingly in CPU bound games the 20 series do not shine and we all know something that's CPU bound.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Personally, I am only upgrading my rig when the next-generation of VR glasses are out. 

I fly only VR, and new googles are a priority for me, but I´ll get a new PC as soon as the i9 is out, because if I wait for a new VR glasses  the cost of a new PC + new VR at the same time could be too much for my wallet.

cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Even if all of this translates into just a 20% performance increase over the 1080ti, I think it will be a worthwhile purchase.  However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest so much into this hobby.  I've already popped for the 8700k, the 1080ti and now a 55" TV to keep me flying happy.  I also tried to enjoy flying in VR, with great disappointment, but I do think that once the next gen VR emerges, plus the RTX, then we may have something worth bragging about.  However, I'm also realizing that I could have been racking up hours toward my pilots license in the real world if I funneled a lot of my P3D money in that direction.  So, I've decided to hold off on any more upgrades and work on that goal and re-visit hardware for P3D down the line.  However, I'm anxious to hear how some of my fellow pilots fare once the new ti comes out.

Happy flying:-)

10 hours ago, LB777 said:

My claim was based on these benchmarks.

Those games were all based on older titles and none of them DLSS enabled, considering the 2080 FE has fewer CUDA cores than the 1080Ti and those games are more CUDA centric, then I'd expect those results.

Current list of DLSS games:

Ark: Survival Evolved
Atomic Heart
Dauntless
Darksiders III
Deliver Us The Moon: Fortuna
Fear The Wolves
Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition
Fractured Lands
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Hitman 2
Islands of Nyne
Justice
JX3
KINETIK
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
Outpost Zero
Overkill’s The Walking Dead
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.
Remnant: From The Ashes
SCUM
Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Stormdivers
The Forge Arena
We Happy Few

Here is a list of games that support ray tracing:

Assetto Corsa Competizione 
Atomic Heart 
Battlefield V 
Control 
Enlisted 
Justice 
JX3 
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries 
Metro Exodus
ProjectDH 
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

This list will certainly grow rapidly as it will be a case of "don't be left out" as the visual improvements and performance gains are dramatic and that sells (eye candy ALWAYS sells well even if it's SSDD).

nVidia have taken their GPU line-up and "normalized" it ... they put themselves in a bad position having a TitanXP at $1200 and a 1080Ti at $800 where both cards performed almost identically except one cost $400 more.  What they've done is made clear delineation between the 2080Ti and the 2080 with the performance difference to show the "value" in price difference.  They've put their "Titan" name into the $3000 range (aka Titan V) ... this line-up makes more sense on the marketing front.  They're also claiming they are going to be doing more work around 2080Ti and 2080 NVLink so that multiple GPUs will have more benefit than prior iterations of SLI ... well shall see.

As far as VR, I'm not a VR fan and the Pimax 8K is still only 1440p and it has to do some edge "blackout" to remove distortion issues so it's not really even 1440p.  The Pimax 8KX (future version) will be true 4K VR and that will also be subject to edge distortion and hence some "blackout" area so will not be true 4K but close.  However, with that said, I probably will get the Pimax 8KX when/if it does become available just because I'm a technology junky.

I haven't received any notification that my two 2080Ti's have been delayed, so I'm still hoping for Oct 1st delivery ... like I said before the NVLinks (3 and 4 slot) have arrived so just waiting for the GPUs.  October will be a busy month for me, especially if the 9900K is released along with the Z390 MBs.  I'll have to wait for GPU and CPU cooling blocks (EK usually come to market first) so all initial testing will be on air cooling.  But I'd be surprised if someone else doesn't get P3D, XP11, AF2 2080Ti results out before I do.

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, dal330200 said:

Even if all of this translates into just a 20% performance increase over the 1080ti, I think it will be a worthwhile purchase.

That's your call of course but for those like me with a 1080 the improvement will perhaps be closer to 40-50%. That is most definitely worthwhile and I'll not linger long on the price tag.

Daily flights over 4-5 years brings the cost down to around £0.70 a flight which is not unreasonable.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

This is my (potential) new baby, provided my feet don't go cold......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 for me 😄 When available.. in Germany.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD

I preordered the 2080 TI FE and got an email that mine is delayed and now I'm wondering if I should back out. I've been simming 4k with my 6700k @ 4.6 and trusty 980ti for over 3 years now, resisting the 1080 TI with the hope that this new generation would be worth the wait. After hearing some reviews it seems awful tempting to save $700 now by picking up a 1080 TI as a bridge to the 10nm cards that I assume will be released next year. By then P3D5 will be out and will hopefully support the technologies we aren't yet able to use in the RTX series. I am anxiously awaiting P3D-specific reviews. If I'll be able to hold a smooth 30fps with high settings in weather with dynamic lighting I'll probably keep the card, as disgusting as it is to pay $1300 for it.

Ben 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

2 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

This is my (potential) new baby, provided my feet don't go cold......

Here there are some VR benchmarks and they are really promising. Can´t wait to see DLSS in action.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-performance-and-overclocking?page=4

• Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But I'd be surprised if someone else doesn't get P3D, XP11, AF2 2080Ti results out before I do.

Once upon a time, on various gaming, overclocking and geeky tech sites, the emergence of a new CPU or graphics card would be more than enough, even for people who did not already have it on their systems, to acquire or haul out FSX to test the power of their new toys. FSX was a de facto fps test standard along with FutureMark, Furmark and a few others. 

It seems like a million years ago. One doubts if that will ever happen again.

Your statement there gave me a quick flashback to those old days, for a second there. 😄

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

11 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

on various gaming, overclocking and geeky tech sites, the emergence of a new CPU or graphics card would be more than enough, even for people who did not already have it on their systems, to acquire or haul out FSX to test the power

You don't think geeks live here also?

😎

13 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

You don't think geeks live here also?

😎

Well, yes.

But "out there" in the wider world, it was tech geeks using Fsx.

Here its flight simulation geeks using tech.

It's not quite the same.......

Flight simulation feels a bit more "sedate" to me, whereas tech sites were.... (Or perhaps still are) a bit more like "Animal house" 😁

Devons rig

15 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Not good news about NewEgg:

https://www.pcgamer.com/hackers-installed-sophisticated-malware-on-neweggs-servers-to-steal-customer-data/

This is not an isolated incident as other online computer retailers were recently hit with the same hack.

I wonder if that also affects Paypal payments....... Seems unlikely, put who knows exactly how the NewEgg system works.

In the end, I'm not surprised. People see these big, gleaming online and physical edifices companies erect to impress us, and average folks usually have no idea of the ramshackle, lowest bidder IT backend in some old near-abandoned warehouse that underpins it all....

And has to continually apologize when this stuff just keeps happening.

Devons rig