Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

2080 2080Ti full review.

Oh no, performance is as claimed by nVidia, you're gonna break a lot of conspiracy lovers hearts 😉(and their wallets)

Nice, so 48% increase over a 1080Ti at 4K (without DLSS).  Patiently waiting to see how they work for P3D/XP11/AF2 in one of my rigs.

I did receive my NVLinks (3 and 4 slot) but still waiting for my two 2080Ti FE's to ship ... odd that the nV 2080Ti FE's out performed the EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra by a fraction or two (per Jay2Cents review).

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Rob.

Jayz2Cents review isn't so good. He's advising don't buy until DLSS and ray tracing is out and matured. 22-25% improvement at 70% more cost. Previously 22-25% for same cost. He wasn't too impressed with the cooler either.

Edited by martin-w

Jay's numbers are showing 48% increase at 4K (without DLSS) so not really sure why he would recommend "wait"?  But agree that DLSS should push that number even higher upwards of 90% increase in 4K and over time the drivers will mature/improve.  Of course this doesn't help much for CPU concentric operations in Flight Sims, but it will help with GPU tasks like DL, DR, AA, etc.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm going to wait and see what Rob's testing in P3d4 and XP11 shows. However, it would be a departure from previous successive generations of nVidia cards if the improvement of the 2080 ti over the 1080 ti was more than 20-25% in real 3D apps (not artificial benchmarks). Jayz2cents' review also focuses on the other issue, which is the 2080 ti is outrageously overpriced, just like previous generation Titans were. But that's nVidia's prerogative. There must be enough people out there that will buy it, just like the people that buy the iPhone X line.

Most are the reviews are saying do not buy.  The price/performance ratio is awful for these cards.

1 minute ago, Greggy_D said:

Most are the reviews are saying do not buy.  The price/performance ratio is awful for these cards.

I just went over to Guru3D and the read the various reviews. All say the price is crazy for the performance increase. Honestly, I think complaining about the price is like Abe Simpson yelling at a cloud.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

There must be enough people out there that will buy it, just like the people that buy the iPhone X line.

Uhhh....does that come with rotary dial or does it have the new fangled push buttons????

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

here must be enough people out there that will buy it, just like the people that buy the iPhone X line.

iPhone XS Max ordered last week to replace my "old" iPhone X 256GB 🙂  well what did you expect Jay ... technology is my fascination beyond "value".  It seems "Max" is the new "Plus" ... 737 Max, 777 Max ...

54 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Most are the reviews are saying do not buy. 

That's not accurate, they are saying wait until DLSS and ray tracing apps/games are more main stream ... there is zero doubt that these GPUs will stomp the life out of a 1080Ti with DLSS and/or ray tracing (and that IS the future).  If you monitor at graphic artists sites and game developer sites, they are ALL over this GPU in terms of wanting to use it in their work/projects.  

I think DLSS can be realized rather quickly for most games/apps including flight sims.

Cheers, Rob.

So does DLSS help with overall performance? Or is it a form of AA that's super efficient?

Rob, are you going to NVLINK/SLI with just one 4k monitor?  Or do you think the real benefits of an NVLink happen in VR (AF2) and multiple 4k monitors (higher resolution)? It seems like you could make a valid argument that the price to performance day 0 is out of whack but it seems like it will get better over the coming months.  The 2080ti price tag seems like good capitalist economics to me.  The 2080 seems like out of the box it will perform slightly better than the 1080ti, so I don't see what the extra $200 is getting you right now but again maybe by Christmas, it will be a different story.  I am only making the leap if I can get 3x4k with 2080ti SLI and surround myself with OLEDs.  Should only cost $6,500 USD :)

In old titles like GTA5 1080ti outperforms the 2080,the older legacy titles not GPU optimised the 20 series is just another GPU with faster memory, and that faster memory comes at a price, we will have to see what the AIB partner boards do. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I'm content to wait and see what kind of performance Rob gets.  If I were budget constrained or shopping based on $/fps I'd probably buy a 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming.  Based on the current line-up of 2080's I'll probably end up with a 2080 Ti FTW3 whenever they become available.  For build tips I hear the The Verge has a great video on how to build a gaming PC .  But, I'll have to get a Swiss Army knife and plenty of thermal paste to do the job properly.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

12 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

That's not accurate, they are saying wait until DLSS and ray tracing apps/games are more main stream

It is accurate.  Telling people to wait is a "do not buy" today.  It's going to be forever until those apps and games are mainstream.  There's no reason to buy these cards, especially for the price, this generation.

Don't go by benchmark software that will not tell you what it will do in P3D if did we would all be using AMD hardware, check out Gamers Nexus benches in games no RT or DLSS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Sometimes a straight video is easier to digest than reviewers talking and talking......

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5