Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

2080 2080Ti full review.

13 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Here is a list of games that support ray tracing:

None of these games support ray tracing, they will support ray tracing at some point, for some when they're released, for others nobody knows.

13 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Current list of DLSS games:

None of these games support DLSS, the only game that supports DLSS, right now at launch, is the Final Fantasy XV benchmark.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the info about these things seems to be all over the place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Is this post new (or from 2017 or 2016 or 2015 or ...)?

Sorry, I don't get your point.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

It would be very interesting to see the effects of this tech on/in a Flight Simulator...

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

LOL and so....Question....How many Nvidia people does it take to release one RTX280TI to the retail market? Answer...We don't know because they have never been able to do it yet.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Yes will look good on P3DV6-7 by then ever user will have the hardware and windows 10 to run it.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

31 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Yes will look good on P3DV6-7 by then ever user will have the hardware and windows 10 to run it.

I get your point but you may be a bit off on you versions of P3D. More likely will be version 10 or later. I was just looking at the demo above for Metro and given the amount of work it takes to light up an area the size of a small room, it just blows the mind trying to imagine the calculations that it would take in a scene from P3d. Just imagine say the approach into KJFK. It may be of use to us in P3d if the Nvidia RTX 7080 card is the size of a real world 747 and cooled by the Mississippi river. Short of that my simple mind just can't deal with it.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

6 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Sorry, I don't get your point.

It wasn't a specific critique of your post, only a recognition that the pace of VR tech has been agonizingly slow. How many more years will it take for mainstream VR pixel resolution to catch up to that of flat panel monitors?

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It wasn't a specific critique of your post, only a recognition that the pace of VR tech has been agonizingly slow. How many more years will it take for mainstream VR pixel resolution to catch up to that of flat panel monitors?

Well the Rift was released on March 2016, so what would you expect? We are not talking of a smartphone market numbers here. I believe this segment will behave more or less like consoles. Major releases every 4-5 years.

While there is of course room for improvement, I am very satisfied with the current technology and I would never have expected this level of immersion 10 or 15 years ago. There are already offers with higher PPI on the market (Odyssey, Vive Pro) and the PIMAX 8K is about to be (finally) released.

I would`t expect a new version of the Rift until 2020, though.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

There are already offers with higher PPI on the market (Odyssey, Vive Pro) and the PIMAX 8K is about to be (finally) released.

I actually posted a review of performance of the Pimax 5k and 8k done by an early backer who just received his headsets and tested it on Aerofly, which apparently only managed about 36fps on his nvidia 1080. If this holds true across all users, then it might be that the 20 series cards turn out to be the only ones able to even attempt to do justice to these upcoming headsets......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It is odd that with all the discussion about these new cards on a flt sim forum. I am a little surprised that there is not more discussion about DLSS. I understand the Ray T. is exciting for all the shoot um ups and kids games but DLSS seems to be more likely to help with Flight Sims than RT for the next couple of years. That feature is more likely to get my money at least with what we think we know so far.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

It is odd that with all the discussion about these new cards on a flt sim forum. I am a little surprised that there is not more discussion about DLSS. I understand the Ray T. is exciting for all the shoot um ups and kids games but DLSS seems to be more likely to help with Flight Sims than RT for the next couple of years. That feature is more likely to get my money at least with what we think we know so far.

In actuality, I'm not so sanguine that civilian Flight sims will be very quick at all to embrace these new technologies. Even after many effects have become standard in the gaming community, civilian simulation pretty much ignores much of it.

I asked a developer about this once, and was told that they simply had no interest in adapting new (and especially card specific) tech that might later be depreciated.

This innate conservatism, I think has left (civilian) simulation far behind the curve in utilizing the full potential of modern graphics cards, and I don't really see any great prospect that this might change any time soon, though I believe the race to VR has almost forced some more rapid than usual accommodations recently.

Still, and repeatedly, rather than relying on GPU power, developers tend to reinvent the wheel and create their own software based solutions instead,

So: No PhysX or Havok. No Nvidia turf effects. No hardware smoke effects or flameworks (or their AMD equivalents) The list goes on... and on.

I was pleased when P3D added tessellation, and mumbled "It's about time!" when single-pass stereo rendering (which Aerofly always had) made the jump to the other sims, but honestly, the civilian sim world seems slow to adopt new technologies unrelated to simple brute force speed enhancements via CPU upgrades and modest GPU stuff.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong, but jeez, PBR is a big new thing in simulation circles and its been in games since dinosaurs walked the earth! 😔

Devons rig

9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

In actuality, I'm not so sanguine that civilian Flight sims will be very quick at all to embrace these new technologies. Even after many effects have become standard in the gaming community, civilian simulation pretty much ignores much of it.

To be honest, I am actually glad that they take that approach. I guess it depends on each individual. I am all for progress and I too like the eye candy but, first I want the nuts and bolts of systems and controls to be developed. Make what we have smooth and functional and then bring on the pretty pictures.

Sam

27 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Make what we have smooth and functional

Which could be done by placing more of the burden on the graphics card and letting it finally handle those things it was specifically designed to handle. Yet here we are, still largely cpu-bound, leaving me hoping for great things in my games, and not-so-much in my civilian sims.

Military sims I expect to jump on this stuff with both feet, so at least there's that: but if I only used civilian sims... this would be an insane purchase for me.

Devons rig

Sooooooo.........

Suppose you had a choice of buying a 2080ti at full price now, or waiting maybe 2 months and getting one for $500 from a corporate buyer after they used it for testing. Which would you choose?

Keep in mind you are itching to get your greedy little fingers on one. 😍

Devons rig