Sign in to follow this  
ShabbyLeo

VNAV Utility

After updating I can no longer input elevation and way point to get the VS required computed. Has the update changed how it works? Very nice feature for descent planning that I'm missing.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Can confirm same here. I launched the Garmin Trainer by itself without sim and setting VNAV profile unusable. Unless we're missing something.

OK, upon further testing it appears certain criteria must be met for VNAV to function. Page 91 of the GTN 725-750 Pilot's Guide lists messages concerning VNAV. Garmin may have changed the way VNAV works when they updated the unit software perhaps?
Here a message I received.
iIkoOTj.jpg?1

10 hours ago, ShabbyLeo said:

After updating I can no longer input elevation and way point to get the VS required computed. Has the update changed how it works? Very nice feature for descent planning that I'm missing.

Matt

Are you talking about the "old" VCALC? If so, you need to disable VNAV and you should revert to VCALC instead.

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

3 hours ago, ShabbyLeo said:

Yes, it may be the old vcalc that I'm missing. How do you disable vnav so vcalc is available?

GTN Pilot's Guide 4-31:

To enable VNAV guidance:
1. While viewing the Active Flight Plan page, touch Menu.
2. Select VNAV. The VNAV Profile page opens.
3. Touch VNAV Enabled.

To disable VNAV guidance, touch VNAV Enabled again.

So you can toggle between VNAV and VCALC

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

Sorry if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to toggle between the VNAV and VCALC. The VNAV utility looks different after updating the trainer also. Can you confirm that vertical speed required is working on your end? I'm debating reverting back to previous version.

4 hours ago, ShabbyLeo said:

Sorry if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to toggle between the VNAV and VCALC. The VNAV utility looks different after updating the trainer also. Can you confirm that vertical speed required is working on your end? I'm debating reverting back to previous version.

This is silly. I'm not seeing VCALC anywhere. I enabled and disabled VNAV. Never see a softkey anywhere that says VCALC when VNAV is disabled. GRRR...
From the Garmin manual page 15-5: From the Utilities page, touch VCALC. Did that no VCALC to touch. VNAV is disabled.

Edited by Bills511

Hi, in the same manual:

4.3.3.1 VNAV Requirements
Enablement by the installer

This is being reviewed already:

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

The VNAV feature is similar to a jet with respect to display info.  Enter an approach mode, under PROC from the HOME screen.  Select the airport (if not planned) and desired APP.  For ILS it'll enter waypoint altitude constraints on the screen and into the VNAV utility.  It'll place a TOD on the screen as well with the next waypoint altitude.  You can adjust the V/S by entering your own at that point or use 3.00 degree standard.  I found it difficult in the Bonanza because maintaining the correct V/S through the plate into the ILS was hard.  Somehow I ended up high.  I think it works better in a GA if you can just select a FAF and descend to it, or if you are in a plane with more precise V/S entry.  Maybe with practice I can work though the VNAV process in a simple plane using it, but I might look into just tweaking the V/S or selecting a VCALC method if possible.  If you enter a flight plane, you will see on the FP screen with the waypoints that you can enter altitudes.  That would be where the VNAV would come to life, or perhaps the VCALC is available if you just enter a fix and altitude (even the airport).  I flew into KABQ and prior to selecting an approach in the PROC page, I noticed that KABQ had an altitude box on the FP page for entry.  You can even adjust the altitude based on temp and density it looks like.

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hi,

Like mentioned in my post above, VNAV is an enablement by the installer. You configure a GTN either as VCALC or VNAV, and there is no in-device setting to change this. There are other such installation-only options available.

Here is a small preview of what's to come in the next update.

• Settings are grouped in their corresponding 'Config Mode' section for quick reference/lookup.
  • Each is optional (the square enables, or disables - use defaults).
  • Enabling VNAV also enables 'Transition To Approach', 'VDI Scale' and 'Transition Altitude'
  • 'GPS Selected' is the same as 'Automatic GPS/VLOC selection' setting already present.
  • Mark On Target also enables a new discrete input command: trigger the command to automatically create a MOT user waypoint at the current aircraft location.

afms_settings_1.png

NB: some settings might not be available in the 'retail' version, some may change until released.
We're also looking at adding equivalent settings to the GNS V2.

• Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks for the clarification. It may have sunken in faster for me if you could have just said outright that vertical speed required/vnav utility was not working at this time with the present version. I was only inquiring about a feature missing in the current version that was working in the previous version and trainer. I'm very happy to learn that this feature will be re-introduced in the next update plus new features! As the previous version only had a working vcalc I'm wondering if the next update will include autopilot coupled vnav? That would be a major update! Are you able to give an approximate date of the update so I can check back then?

Thanks, Matt

@Piper5299X Hi, what you missing the most is "Check Updates..." button in the GTN GUI Settings Panel!

The update has been already released weeks ago, followed with even more updates since...

Edited by RXP

On 11/30/2018 at 6:09 AM, RXP said:

@Piper5299X Hi, what you missing the most is "Check Updates..." button in the GTN GUI Settings Panel!

The update has been already released weeks ago, followed with even more updates since...

Thank you. I had installed the update, but hadn't enabled as shown above in the supplement (AFMS)