Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

For Those of You Who Like to Read Ahead

If you load routes through the COROUTE or RTE SELECT function, you'll want to read this!

This just got added to our Knowledge Base (original article here) to explain some changes we've made in our datalink functionality. This will help accommodate some realism being added into PMDG Global Flight Operations without compromising your ability to use these functions if you choose not to participate in PMDG Global Flight Operations (at all, or even just on that specific flight).

----------

Loading a RTE via Datalink

In the past, in order for users to interact with datalink driven functions, such as obtaining winds, flight plan uploads or takeoff performance data, we have simulated the ACARS link in the background without bothering the pilot to actually establish the ACARS datalink prior to using these functions.  Effective with the release of the PMDG 747-8, it is now necessary in the entire PMDG 747 product line to take the steps to activate the ACARS data link in order to receive these services.
Activating the data-link is simple and can be accomplished in two easy steps:

• Complete the ORIGIN, DEST and flight number fields on the RTE page of the FMS as you normally would during the course of preflight. It isn’t necessary to use an actual airline carrier code or flight number if you are operating outside of PMDG Global Flight Operations, so feel free to make one up as you like.

• On the center CDU, press the ACARS or DLNK line select key, then populate the ETD and ETE fields with your estimated time of departure and estimated time enroute. Insert the two letter IATA code of the airline you fly.

You will notice that there are a few fields on this display that are surrounded by [braces].  The [ ] is your indication that "this field is currently allowed to be modified."  For example, you can modify the UTC Departure date on the page above during preflight, but once the flight has begun, this field is locked out and the [ ] will be removed.

• As the logon is occurring, the bottom right of the <PREFLIGHT page will show *CXN SYNC. Once logged in, you will hear a chime, and an accompanying EICAS message, and the prompt on the <PREFLIGHT page will also show *DLINK ACT.

• As soon as the Datalink is active on the RTE page you can press the Request Send and then the Request for the Route to be fetched

One topic that sometimes causes confusion, is understanding the difference between a "CO ROUTE" and a "REQUESTED" flight plan.  To help you avoid confusion, it is helpful to think of it this way:
  • CO ROUTE: This is a route stored in the memory database of your FMS unit onboard the aircraft.  This was a popular function in the late 1980s and 90s, as it reduced the amount of time crews would spend hand-keying flight plans.  Much like the real FMS, using this function will cause the FMS to check and see what flight plans you have stored in the /FLIGHTPLANS directory, and treat them as if they are native to it's own memory database for you to select.
  • REQUEST:  Flight plans that are brought in via a datalink request are coming from outside of the airplane.  The advent of modern datalink technology has made this by far the most common and useful method to transmit a flight plan to the crew onboard a modern airliner.  This functionality is simulated here, by requiring that you have the datalink connected before selecting your flight plan for loading.  Watch this function for many more features that will be made available to you with the upcoming release of PMDG Global Flight Operations.

Pro-Tip:  Right now, both of these functions are simulated, but they ultimately rely upon flight plans located within the PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS directory in your 747 installation.  When we unveil PMDG Global Flight Operations, users will find that the datalink function will open to a whole new world of connected data that will actually come from "outside the airplane."  Stay tuned!

Edited by Olympic260
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you for this awesome insight in to flight preparation in the b748

Thank you Kyle,

This is very helpful and a more in depth then I would imagine.

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

50 minutes ago, ph-cxz said:

Thank you for this awesome insight in to flight preparation in the b748

Just to be clear, this also applies to the B744 line of aircraft.  Also, one does not need to establish the datalink to manually enter your own route; however, the winds and descent forecast do require the datalink so it is recommended that this step in the simulated preflight be done every flight.

• Like 3

Dan Downs KCRP

OMG, i think i will cancel some meetings for the weekend and bring some drinks to my refrigerator! 😎🍺

Raphael Chacón

158745.png

FLYSIMWARE-SM#1378797 RXP750-#1533812 RXP530-#1526291 RXP430-#1543520 

FS2C #43560 #52175 #68068 #68152 #69299 #71201 #72243 #105040 SM#1325481

PMDG #60260 #73469 #144746 #194702 #196953 #230831 #236231 #251801 #266742 #336381  #397556

5 minutes ago, Raphael_Chacon said:

OMG, i think i will cancel some meetings for the weekend and bring some drinks to my refrigerator! 😎🍺

Haha don't be so quick. Could be an end of beta party for the crew. Maybe Robert just want's to know what people are up to lol

Mark Roberts 

I9 13900k @ 5.7GHZ | 64GB DDR5 5600 Ram | ASUS Strix 4090 @ 3.0GHZ | ROG ASUS Hero Z790 | 2x 2TB M.2  | Lian LI Dynamic XL ROG Case | Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Corsair Nightblade | K95 RGB|  | LG 28" 4k, Dell 34" AW3420DW Ultrawide| Windows 10 Pro | MSFS2020 | Custom Water Loop |

11 minutes ago, akabam said:

Haha don't be so quick. Could be an end of beta party for the crew. Maybe Robert just want's to know what people are up to lol

Nope...I’m going all in. Beer drinking manual reading, PMDG aircraft flying weekend!  🍺

If I’m wrong, no foul; I’ve been disappointed before.  It doesn’t bother me, but it’s still a good excuse to drink some amber ales, or ipa’s. Cheers 🍻 

• Like 3

supporter.jpg

Thanks,

Randall Coultas

Spoiler

Flight Sim: P3Dv4,4/ PC: i6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Maximus VIII Hero / NZXT Kraken X61 / 16Gb ram / 2 X Samsung 840 EVO SSD 500Gb / WD Black 1TB / Geforce GTX 980ti

6 minutes ago, rcoultas said:

Nope...I’m going all in. Beer drinking manual reading, PMDG aircraft flying weekend!  🍺

If I’m wrong, no foul; I’ve been disappointed before.  It doesn’t bother me, but it’s still a good excuse to drink some amber ales, or ipa’s. Cheers 🍻 

Doesnt sound like a bad idea. Luckily my schedule is wide open for the weekend except for an hour on saturday

• Like 1

Mark Roberts 

19 minutes ago, rcoultas said:

hahahaha the BDM - Beer Drinking Manual!..... 😅   That one is good....

Yeah, at the end, if nothing happen we get that frigde empty!!! Im with you  😂  And ill grab a good piece of steak ... ✔️

• Like 1

Raphael Chacón

158745.png

FLYSIMWARE-SM#1378797 RXP750-#1533812 RXP530-#1526291 RXP430-#1543520 

FS2C #43560 #52175 #68068 #68152 #69299 #71201 #72243 #105040 SM#1325481

PMDG #60260 #73469 #144746 #194702 #196953 #230831 #236231 #251801 #266742 #336381  #397556

18 hours ago, downscc said:

Just to be clear, this also applies to the B744 line of aircraft.  Also, one does not need to establish the datalink to manually enter your own route; however, the winds and descent forecast do require the datalink so it is recommended that this step in the simulated preflight be done every flight.

I have always used the COROUTE method after planning my flight via PFPX. I have the correct settings selected so that all I need to do is export to the PMDG 747 flight plan folder, nowhere else. 

I then, after loading up the flight plan in the FMC via the COROUTE, would import the winds data via going to the LEGS page and hitting REQUEST. That's it. This is using Activesky as well (though in PFPX I use their default weather provider as I find their winds aloft forecasted winds more accurate). 

So will the above method (and the settings in the FMC/SETTINGS for creating the flight plan automatically that imports to Activesky behind the scenes) change? 

Eric 

30 minutes ago, B777ER said:

So will the above method (and the settings in the FMC/SETTINGS for creating the flight plan automatically that imports to Activesky behind the scenes) change? 

Well, you add the steps described above to activate the datalink before requesting winds.  If the rte file from PFPX is in the flightplans or flightplans\747 folder then it will be loaded when you enter the coroute as if it were in local memory.  You may still request the flightplan and that will do no harm, just loads the plan twice.  However, no datalink then no winds or position reports.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Well, you add the steps described above to activate the datalink before requesting winds.  If the rte file from PFPX is in the flightplans or flightplans\747 folder then it will be loaded when you enter the coroute as if it were in local memory.  You may still request the flightplan and that will do no harm, just loads the plan twice.  However, no datalink then no winds or position reports.

Okay so just add those few steps Kyle posted above to what I'm already doing and things will work as it currently do. Gotcha 

Eric 

Could we have PFPF print to the 748's 'server' for D-Link; so to speak?

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

On 9/19/2018 at 3:12 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Pro-Tip:  Right now, both of these functions are simulated, but they ultimately rely upon flight plans located within the PMDG/FLIGHTPLANS directory in your 747 installation.  When we unveil PMDG Global Flight Operations, users will find that the datalink function will open to a whole new world of connected data that will actually come from "outside the airplane."  Stay tuned!

So I take it that GFO will roll out at a later date, and will not release at the same time as the 748?  I'm not implying it was supposed to, but I was just never quite clear on the road plan for that.

Andrew Jones

Edited by Avwriter

Andrew Jones