Sign in to follow this  
Clorix

Questions before purchase

I'm new to the Reality-XP version of the GTNs for P3D v4.  The competitor's version of them works fine for me at the moment, but they're taking their time updating to the newer Garmin Trainer versions which have features I'm looking forward to having in my sim.  Having said that, I'm considering "upgrading" to the Reality-XP version instead since they seem to be MUCH more regularly kept up-to-date, which I appreciate.  I just have a couple questions before I more strongly consider my purchase, and I hope such questions are okay here.

1.  As I understand, the GTN 750 and 650 are separate purchases, but purchasing either version grants you the ability to use two of those units at the same time, correct?  Further, is there a package deal to get BOTH 750 & 650 together?  I much prefer the 750 myself, but in A2A's aircraft, you cannot have two of the same unit in the VC, so I would consider purchasing both at some point down the road.

2.  Do the RXP versions work with the same aircraft that the competitor's work with?  For example, the RealAir Lancair Legacy and Turbine Duke do not natively support the RXP GTNs, but they DO support the competitor's version.  Is there an included tool or some way to make the RXP GTNs compatible with it?

3.  For those who have also used the competitor's version, can you compare the performance of the two?  Does one perform better than the other, both in terms of flight performance and resource usage/FPS hit, etc.?

4.  Any other significant differences I should be aware of before purchasing the RXP GTN?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Clorix
Added sim version

I have just upgraded myself, and have only just started learning to use it. regarding your bundle question, as far as I am aware they are all bundled together now for the one price.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

6 hours ago, Clorix said:

1.  As I understand, the GTN 750 and 650 are separate purchases, but purchasing either version grants you the ability to use two of those units at the same time, correct?  Further, is there a package deal to get BOTH 750 & 650 together? 

The GTN 650 and GTN 750 are separate purchases.  Each package GTN 650 and GTN 750 allows use of up to (2) at a time in an aircraft.  So for instance the GTN 650 package allows you to use either (1) or (2) GTN 650's.  The 750 allows use of (1) or (2) 750's.  Owning both packages allows for mixing a 650 and a 750 in a panel.  In all cases the maximum is use of a total of (2) gauges at one time in one panel.

Do the RXP versions work with the same aircraft that the competitor's work with? 

I have quite a fleet of aircraft models from A2A, RealAir, Milviz, Carenado, and Alabeo. Not all of my aircraft accommodate the larger GTN 750, but for all that do I am able to use the RXP to replace the F1, which I previously used.  I have one or the other or both GTNs operating in A2A's C182 and Comanche; Alabeo's C421 Golden Eagle and Mooney Ovation; Carenado's B58 Baron, Cessna C340 II, F406 Caravan II; a freeware Hondajet HA 420; Milviz's C310; C310 Redux, and B55 Baron; and RealAir;s Turbine Duke v2.

Is there an included tool or some way to make the RXP GTNs compatible with it?

The RXP includes a Setup tool and a Configurator tool.  One is accessed via the simulator's Add Ons menu option, the other by executing a shift-right-click on the top border of the GTN gauge once in the panel.  Setup has the ability to find and replace a GTN gauge supported by the aircraft model's creator and position 2D popups.  The configurator provides numerous settings for interfacing with an aircraft's avionics and other fine tuning settings.

Note: since I had previously used the earlier F1 GTN 750 gauge and am picky about the size and placement of 2D pop-up gauges, I hand edited most of my existing panel.cfg files to replace the F1 with the RXP.  There are also some aircraft where the GTN gauge bezel(s) supplied with an aircraft may not suit the RXP.  In that case RXP provides a no-bezel option that in most cases works fine. In some cases the tuning knob and the keys are still blocked, but users have created workarounds that are posted elsewhere in topics within this Avsim Reality XP Support Forum. 

As is always the case, you will have a learning curve.  So be patient and take it one aircraft at a time.

Does one perform better than the other, both in terms of flight performance and resource usage/FPS hit, etc.?

The RXP is lighter on resources, but I never had a resource issue with the F!.  A key point is that the RXP utilizes a much more recent, if not current Garmin GTN trainer as its engine and that provides a richer feature set, and also a much more current nav database.

Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the replies!  I'm not that worried about the bundle deal since I almost always use only the 750 anyway, so I'm not too fussed about that.  Is there a reason other than size and position of the gauges that would require hand-editing each aircraft's ini file to get it working?  I'm glad to hear they include a tool to "migrate" from the other GTN to the RXP one.  Sounds like it might make it quite simple to do so, which I'm hoping for.  My main reason for considering RXP's GTN is, as you said, because they've already updated their's to the newer trainer which includes a more current nav database.  I've been waiting and waiting for months now for F1 to catch up.  They keep saying "there will be news soon" or similar and we have yet to hear anything on that front.  RXP really seems to be on the ball in that aspect, which I appreciate.

In the end, as long as things work great, I don't mind a little setup here and there.  My biggest concern is making sure I can use the RXP GTN in the same aircraft I currently use them in.  As long as I can, then I think I may indeed purchase RXP's.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Clorix said:

Is there a reason other than size and position of the gauges that would require hand-editing each aircraft's ini file to get it working?

It varies by aircraft.  Difficult to explain.  When I mentioned size and placement I was referring to 2D popups, not the virtual cockpit.

What I suggest is that you look at the Official Panel Configuration thread here to look for information specific to your aircraft.  Reading through that topic will gain you a better understanding of what it takes to improve usability in some aircraft and how and why to do it.  If you do not find any guidance there for a specific aircraft, then look at say the aircraft's specific forum here on Avsim or on the producers support site.  Then also ask here, starting with say one specific aircraft and moving forward from there.

Specifically look in the Official Panel Configuration topic for discussion of ryanbatcund's modification that adds in some button and knob function for some aircraft with hard coded bezels in the panel.

The updated versions of the trainer that RXP has uniquely advanced to provide more than just an updated database.  Here is a cut-and-paste of a summary from Garmin.  This one from the April 2017 update to the trainer.  I have not seen a change log for the most recent update that RXP has moved to support this very month.

In addition to improved usability, the trainer app also includes the latest GTN features:

• Visual approach guidance – Visual approach guidance is now available within the GTN 650/750, which provides advisory vertical guidance in visual flight conditions based on a published glide path angle or a three-degree glideslope from the threshold of the runway while considering terrain and obstacle clearance.
  • LNAV+V approaches without WAAS/SBAS –Pilots operating into airports throughout the world that are not served by WAAS/SBAS can now receive advisory vertical guidance (LNAV+V) while flying LNAV approaches with the GTN 650/750.
  • Terrain awareness –  GTN 650/750 iOS Trainer’s terrain configuration has been upgraded to enable TAWS-B and HTAWS demonstrations based on which airframe the pilot has selected.
Edited by fppilot
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@fppilot Thanks for all the great info.  I've downloaded the newest trainer software on another PC and messed around a bit with it.  I'm most impressed by the new visual approach guidance capabilities as well as the new VNAV functionality.  I love the presentation of altitude constraints and the TOD/BOD markers along my route.

I have another question I meant to ask.  Is it capable of RNP approaches?  The website says it's capable of following the next-gen radius-to-fix legs which makes me think it would be.  The F1 GTN removes all RNP approaches in their version.

I am not familiar with RNP. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

22 minutes ago, Clorix said:

Is it capable of RNP approaches?

You might want to have a look at this discussion in the GTN X-Plane forum, this is most likely what you are looking for:

"However, you've got me intrigued and after a quick check, like I've said above, this is not implemented yet, but implementable nonetheless. I'll see what we can do for these specifically for a future update. In the interim, should you have a more complete list of such 'config' item worth having, and the reason why, I'd be more than willing to have a closer look. You can send me a private message and we'll further discuss offline then."

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)