Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

P3D v4.3 Massively Improved Anti Aliasing ?

So, I have used 4xSSAA since I started with P3D v4.1 as I despise jaggies, shimmery gauges and 'flickering' terrain lighting at night... resembling a swarm of angry ants ! 

I run on a 32 inch 2K monitor - not brilliant but a good balance between immersion and resolution... and of course performance with my GTX 1080.

Messing around with settings yesterday, I accidently set 4xMSAA instead of 4xSS... and OMG, although I could immediately see a few jaggies and my GTN 750 had a little shimmer, it wasn't bad at all... previously, with 4.1 it would be horrific and unusable for me without 4xSSAA.

So, I put it up to 8xMSAA (from 4x), and they are all but gone. Light shimmer at night is noticeably higher than with SSAA, but only in the very far distance.

Is it me, or is this a massive improvement since 4.1 ?

I actually think I'll stick with 8xMSAA now, as my FPS is literally doubled in 3D clouds (Active Sky) along with virtually zero stutter, and I'm thinking I may even be able to consider dynamic lighting.

I am about to double check today, as it may have been a dream.... 8-)

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I may give this ago myself tonight.... Any hit on other things like FPS ? 

Edited by argosafe

3 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Is it me, or is this a massive improvement since 4.1 ?

No change, but I have noticed a recent driver release from nVidia seems to have improved MSAA.  Be sure to delete your shaders folder on any driver update.

Cheers, Rob.

Hate to rain on your parade... but MSAA has always been the same along with the issues it brings. You’ll notice it eventually, especially with certain scenery objects.

4x SSAA with DL on has improved, however, and that’s what I almost always use during the day. At night I switch back to 8x MSAA. Like you, I have a 1080.

• Like 1

4x SS seems best on my 4k OLED.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

37 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

No change, but I have noticed a recent driver release from nVidia seems to have improved MSAA.  Be sure to delete your shaders folder on any driver update.

Cheers, Rob.

helloo Rob

which driver please?

Edited by grandfred29

Frédéric Giraud

The new drivers improve MFAA+MSAA as well...

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

The new drivers improve MFAA+MSAA as well...

These the same drivers that crash P3D if you set a frame limit in NVI?

20 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

These the same drivers that crash P3D if you set a frame limit in NVI?

Not sure why you would be using NVI with P3d. I thought most had moved on from that. Are you on P3dV4.3?

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

11 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

Not sure why you would be using NVI with P3d. I thought most had moved on from that. Are you on P3dV4.3?

I only use it for the FPS limiter. I’m on 4.3. 

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

Is there a change in 4.3 as to the FPS? I'm not entirely sure and I don't know if I'm just seeing things, but I seem to have noticed that without NVI's FPS limit P3D is just as smooth? (For me it's smoother with a limit of 30.5 in NVI)

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I was under the impression that most are running without the inspector. For me it seems best to set the in p3d frame rate to 30 or so for best results. Keep in mind I am running 4K @ 30Hz so things may be different for you. As with everything else in this crazy hobby YMMV.

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Hmmmm..... maybe it wasn't switching properly between modes - I didn't reboot the sim, each time... I know that.

Will check it out again later. Probably just an anomaly, as it cannot just be me !

Oh well, I'll console myself with my new A2A addon and yoke / rudder pedals coming tomorrow.

Here's to 'Uranium Lake' processors running at 10 Ghz !

But, I'll bet we'll still get stutters even then...... nature of the beast no doubt.

Edited by Gabe777

1 hour ago, shivers9 said:

I was under the impression that most are running without the inspector. For me it seems best to set the in p3d frame rate to 30 or so for best results. Keep in mind I am running 4K @ 30Hz so things may be different for you. As with everything else in this crazy hobby YMMV.

If your TV/monitor is running at 30Hz, you don't need to set the limiter in P3D to 30--just leave it unlimited and turn Vsync and triple buffering on. Vsync will limit frames to your monitor refresh rate. 

People like me who are running 144Hz monitors are using NI to set a limit, in my case 36.

18 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

If your TV/monitor is running at 30Hz, you don't need to set the limiter in P3D to 30--just leave it unlimited and turn Vsync and triple buffering on. Vsync will limit frames to your monitor refresh rate. 

People like me who are running 144Hz monitors are using NI to set a limit, in my case 36.

I will give that a try tonight.

Sam