Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

P3D v4.3 Massively Improved Anti Aliasing ?

Luck for you guys 

I am runnin 2 titans 6gb sli

grear peroformance until I hit dense asp4 asca thunderstorms with 8x msaa and performance drops 

4K at 25hz z dunno 

I have a Sony 4K TV @ 30 hz and one thing I have noticed with 4.3 is that running unlimited with vsync and tb on with complex stuff I now get 24 fps  and with less demanding situations 45 or so fps. Previously it was always the TV refresh rate - 30.  So what has changed here?  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

15 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

No change, but I have noticed a recent driver release from nVidia seems to have improved MSAA.  Be sure to delete your shaders folder on any driver update.

Cheers, Rob.

14 hours ago, DylanM said:

The new drivers improve MFAA+MSAA as well...

12 hours ago, Chapstick said:

These the same drivers that crash P3D if you set a frame limit in NVI?

Which driver version?   411.63 ?   399.24 ?  ....

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

On trying this, I actually found I was on 8 x MSSA.  I then switched back to 4 x ssaa, and found it better. Thanks fir the inverse tip! 

2 hours ago, argosafe said:

On trying this, I actually found I was on 8 x MSSA.  I then switched back to 4 x ssaa, and found it better. Thanks fir the inverse tip! 

Lol.... until you find yourself in 3D clouds, whereupon, your SSAA will stutter you to oblivion.

6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I have a Sony 4K TV @ 30 hz and one thing I have noticed with 4.3 is that running unlimited with vsync and tb on with complex stuff I now get 24 fps  and with less demanding situations 45 or so fps. Previously it was always the TV refresh rate - 30.  So what has changed here?  Thanks.

Bruceb

Bruce, are you sure your TV is 30 hz..... doesn't seem right.

TVs tend to be 60 hz capable. Old CRT TVs in the UK were 50, but modern LCD and OLED are 60.

It seems to me that P3D performance depends on many factors, not least the combination of drivers, settings and operating system updates. Some are still on 1803, some 1709 !

Still not sure what is happening on my system, but I was wearing the wrong spectacles the other night. Thinking my 2.5 may make the jaggies less obvious than my 2.75 ! Lol, lol, lol..... falling off my log laughing at this realisation..... !

So there we have it.... best way to reduce jaggies, is to handicap your vision by around 10 percent !

Edited by Gabe777

All systems will deliver different results, but on my 4k 43" monitor, running 8SSAA eradicates all aliasing, but of course a big hit on performance. I have found 4 or 8MSAA not as good as 4SSAA so I run with that. I have to admit, I still see small jaggies, but it's no big deal when I consider the alternative 😄

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

After DL improvement in 4.3 is there still a need to go back to MSAA at night?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

2 hours ago, Shomron said:

Huh? Isn't that like laying in the bed you've made then asking me if you're comfortable?  C'mon man!

I'm using 411.63 on a TitanXP and a 1080Ti ... I use 4X MSAA for 2160p and 1440p monitors.  SSAA will increase load significantly on the GPU side.

Cheers, Rob.

8 hours ago, Shomron said:

It's much improved and runs better for me, I can actually leave it on and get an acceptable performance at the terminals at, say, FlyTampa's BOS. I do however still go back to 8xMSAA during night at airports that feature DL because the visual difference isn't so noticeable at night and I do get a frame rate of 30, my target within NVI, as opposed to 22-ish when I'm on 4xSSAA that I usually use. Before 4.3 it was a slideshow.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

22 hours ago, Chapstick said:

If your TV/monitor is running at 30Hz, you don't need to set the limiter in P3D to 30--just leave it unlimited and turn Vsync and triple buffering on. Vsync will limit frames to your monitor refresh rate. 

People like me who are running 144Hz monitors are using NI to set a limit, in my case 36.

I use a 4k TV at 30Hz and have the P3D limiter at unlimited with Vsync and TP on. I do however use a target of 30.5 in NVI because I found it makes panning around the camera in the cockpit noticeably smoother. 

Now on 4.3, as I said above, I feel like I don't need NVI anymore and it'll be just as smooth.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

14 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Bruce, are you sure your TV is 30 hz..... doesn't seem right.

TVs tend to be 60 hz capable. Old CRT TVs in the UK were 50, but modern LCD and OLED are 60.

My TV has an option for 30 hz refresh rate although default is 60.  With 4.1 and vsync/unlimited it would be capped at 30 and something less in high demand situations.  Now with 4.3 it behaves differently no longer capped at 30 can go up to mid 40s with default stuff but stays at 24 with, for example, PMDG aircraft.  

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Oh that IS useful. TVs today huh ? Remember the 14 inch square box in the corner.

Then came colour in the 70s, and they were 25 inches big !

Now we have 70 inch 4K OLED, with 30 hz options..... OMG I'm getting old.

I hate the way Windows 10 and P3D is constantly being updated. Always breaking stuff.

Anyhow, I would try using an external frame limiter, with your TV set to 60 hz, and P3D set to Unlimited + TB. That seems to be the consensus, if you are having problems with vert sync at 30 fps. Try setting at 30, 31 or 32 FPS using nVidia inspector or MSI afterburner.

I run at 60 fps all the time, as I just turn down the settings**. So, no problem for me, really... but each to their own of course !

** (e.g. in a  PMDG 747, no need for autogen, at night no need for shadows, go easy on Ai traffic, limit yourself to 2 (vs 6) layers of clouds in Active Sky, use sensible AA settings, avoid full fat OrbX regions, go easy on Vectors.... and forget dynamic lighting and reflections.)

Taking this approach, I get 60 fps in the VC, 90 percent of the time once in the air. In other aircraft like A2A stuff or Carenado, I get 70 to 90 minimum. External views give me over 60 to 100 across the board, even in a busy airport. And, it still looks better than FSX ever did.

The bottom line for me is that I could not run the sim at 30 fps.... it gives me a headache.

Some of the stoopid high settings some people use, makes me chuckle, especially when they moan about low FPS. But, its always been the same - remember, P3D v4 at low to medium settings,  looks better than FSX ever did, maxed out.

Unfortunately its the same in gaming generally: people think just because they have an Octacore Plutonium-lake cpu with a 3x 3080 GTX cards, they automatically 'have a right' to max out the settings.... and then moan when they don't get 144 fps at 4K ..... laughable !)

We have to appreciate the fact that flightsim will never be perfectly smooth... ever ! 

...... As with open world games, a flightsim is an 'unpredictable', 3-dimensional sandbox, that - unlike other open world games/sims, is also moving (at times) at over 500 miles an hour.

The Holy Grail we strive for, is unobtainable in flightsim... it is the nature of the beast.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, Nemo said:

Which driver version?   411.63 ?   399.24 ? 

Hi Harry, I'm currently on 411.63 but was using 399.24. I use 4XMSAA + MFAA (which equates to 8XMSAA at roughly the hit of 4X) on a 43" 4K panel running 3840x2160.