Sign in to follow this  
xTiMm_

What will be the next project by PMDG?

21 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

There are plenty of 737-200's in the air as I type, but PMDG haven't done a steam gauge aircraft since the DC-6 (for X-plane) and before that, the JS-41. They have done the MD-11 and know (knew) how it works.

Hmm ok  where are those 732? I understand your interest in the MD11, but to say there are plenty of 732 flying around as a an argument for making the MD11 is not the best defense...

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

22 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

There are plenty of 737-200's in the air as I type, but PMDG haven't done a steam gauge aircraft since the DC-6 (for X-plane) and before that, the JS-41. They have done the MD-11 and know (knew) how it works.

I haven't seen a 732 actually flying in about 20 years, here in the States. Heck, I've seen a DC-3 flying more recently than I have a 732 - and if your counterpoint is that I'm around one all the time, fair, so, I've seen quite a few more DC-9s in that time. There are plenty of all kinds of planes out there, but the question is whether or not they are worthwhile development projects.

This also goes back to the forum poll: open polls are subject to a lot of statistical bias, and as people have mentioned, it is not the whole customer cohort, and it is not quite a microcosm of it. That's not to say that people can't put one up. All the same, it cannot - statistically - be held up as proof positive that the top response would be the best option.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

22 minutes ago, windshearDK said:

Hmm ok  where are those 732? I understand your interest in the MD11, but to say there are plenty of 732 flying around as a an argument for making the MD11 is not the best defense...

Huh? You asked why focus on the MD-11 which is becoming less active, I gave you three reasons why.

You then suggested the same arguments applied to the 732 (implying it was also less active). I merely pointed out that like the MD-11, there are still plenty of 732's in the air right now. However, unlike the 732, PMDG already know how to make an MD-11. If you want to know what aircraft are in the sky and where they are, then I suggest you google flight tracking, or look up flightaware, or look up flight-radar, or look up any of the other public sources of information that the rest of us use.  

If you want to spend the rest of your sim time flying active boring buses, then off you go, your needs are already well catered for so you have no need to pay attention to this thread. 50% of aircraft in the air right now are 737-800s, A319, A320 or A321's. 18 of the twenty most active aircraft (at time of writing) are mainstream Boeing's and Airbus's. 19 of the top 20 have high quality sims with only the ERJ-190 currently unavailable. Anything outside the top 20 makes up less then 1% of currently airborne commercial aircraft, making *everything* else, by definition, less active. So why should PMDG focus on less active aircraft? The obvious reason is that the more active aircraft have a) all been done and b) are all boring buses.

2 hours ago, Paul_Smith said:

So why should PMDG focus on less active aircraft?

Paul, the bottom line is that PMDG didn't make money on their MD-11.  It's sales number, that only PMDG knows, were cited by RSR many years ago as the prime reason they would discontinue the product.  I don't recall exactly, but something along the lines that they were disappointed and thought it would have done much better.

Dan Downs KCRP

13 minutes ago, downscc said:

Paul, the bottom line is that PMDG didn't make money on their MD-11.  It's sales number, that only PMDG knows, were cited by RSR many years ago as the prime reason they would discontinue the product.  I don't recall exactly, but something along the lines that they were disappointed and thought it would have done much better.

Even though that thing released for FS9 about nearly 10 years ago.... Just like the maddog the MD11 is getting rarer, yet in (nearly) ten years interest for it can't have decreased. It can only grow up or stay unchanged...

It's a bit like the dilemma of aerosoft bringing their pro series to 32bit. Some are positive and others aren't about it. To me every jet of that era (90s -ich) is interesting in its own ways; indeed tons of specific quarky jets were made at that time, and IMO there was much more diversity amongst airlines. For example the F100 is often forgotten, yet it was the one who reinforced local short range high density flights within europe just like the BAE146. To me I've never understood why "reviving" such planes isn't worth it... Most are already scrapped and getting data for those can only get harder. Sure, a max is cool, but we'll see a bunch of these for a while... Whereas 737CL, is quite unknown nowadays, within europe more particularly

After 11 pages on this thread.  Can I ask this question - I really haven't a clue:

Is any plane (new or update) in the works as of now for PMDG for P3D?

It would be good to know so we can keep an eye n it.

Edited by paulyg123

Paul Gugliotta

Yup, as announced in an earlier thread by RSR:  They are working on a major update to the NGX as well as incremental improvements to the 777.  There is also the GFO stuff but that's not an aircraft.

Dan Downs KCRP

Ya know what would be cool is to know what each player in the industry is working on in 1 post:

Fill in the blanks below:

PMDG: NGX and 777

QW - ???

Flytampa - KLAS Las Vegas - then KATL Atlanta

Drzewecky Design  - Chicago

FSDT - ??

Imagine Sim ??

Flightbeam - ???

Paul Gugliotta - playing golf in all 50 states (4 more left)

Paul Gugliotta

6 hours ago, downscc said:

the only thing i have to say to that is that flight simming isnt what it used to be. It has picked up quite the momentum and more and more users are getting into it. So, lets not compare 20 years ago to today and todays needs. The thing is, an MD11 is already out for P3Dv4 and there is one coming for XP11... There is a market for it, it may not be huge, but its there.

10 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I haven't seen a 732 actually flying in about 20 years, here in the States. Heck, I've seen a DC-3 flying more recently than I have a 732 - and if your counterpoint is that I'm around one all the time, fair, so, I've seen quite a few more DC-9s in that time. There are plenty of all kinds of planes out there, but the question is whether or not they are worthwhile development projects.

This also goes back to the forum poll: open polls are subject to a lot of statistical bias, and as people have mentioned, it is not the whole customer cohort, and it is not quite a microcosm of it. That's not to say that people can't put one up. All the same, it cannot - statistically - be held up as proof positive that the top response would be the best option.

There's one in Quebec, at CYHU : Chrono Aviation, a carrier who make charter flights... 

Yuuki

Of course (as I may have mentioned once or twice) there is still a huge gap in the market for a top quality Boeing 757 because there has never been one and they're brilliant.

RSR (may have) said "A simulation company without a study level 757 is like a glass without beer, a breakfast without sausages or a curry without a toilet roll". It's just unthinkable."

• Like 1

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

17 hours ago, downscc said:

Dan, the bottom line is that the boring buses have been all been done. Anything else that PMDG release will be *by definition* less active. At time of writing, there are 30 747-8's in the air and there are 29 MD-11's so can we now agree that the "less active" argument is dead and move on.

I do not know why the MD-11 sales were disappointing the first time round but I do know that the cost to PMDG of bringing a new MD-11 to market for P3D or even XP will be a lot lower then the equivalent costs for an air-frame they have not done before. I do know that the MD-11 is an interesting and enjoyable aircraft to fly and I do know that RSR and PMDG also it is interesting or they wouldn't have done it in the first place. If you would like to suggest an alternative aircraft for them to deliver next, I would be very interested in hearing your suggestions but I must admit to getting quite bored with people just repeating that something wont or cant happen without offering anything better.