Sign in to follow this  
ricotorpe

Using VR Headset With My Eye Problem (Wall-Eye/strabismus)

Hola everyone!

First post from a 30-year simmer. My first sims were MSFS from 1989, and Microprose's F-19. My eyes to not align properly because my right eye tends to drift outward. This is the same eye condition Sarah Huckabee Sanders has, but mine is not as severe. It causes double vision because they don't line up, but the brain usually learns to ignore one image.

It is still a huge problem because it ruins my depth perception. I can get them to line up, but it is tiring, and I get eyestrain after a few minutes. This makes me wonder if I will be able to use a VR headset at all.

As I understand it, using a VR headset requires keeping the eyes forward and looking at objects by moving the head, much like the default "3-D" cockpit view in FSX. For that, if you want to look down at something on the control panel, using a hat-switch on the joystick will swivel the view, but with a VR head set, you simply move your head. Is this correct?

What about 3D perception?

Any ideas or experience about how this will affect my ability to get anything out of VR? One of the corrections for this is "prism" prescription glasses. In my case, the right lens will bend the light by the appropriate angle, shifting the image so that it lines up with the image from my left eye.

Side note: One of my favorite FS activities is carrier landings. I have an old Saitek X52 throttle & JS, and everything is setup juuuust right so that I can adjust everything by feel. I'd love to be able to go from being catapulted off the deck, circling around to 3/4 mile aft, and slamming back down onto the deck & snagging a wire without seeing my den in my peripheral vision.

15 hours ago, ricotorpe said:

As I understand it, using a VR headset requires keeping the eyes forward and looking at objects by moving the head, much like the default "3-D" cockpit view in FSX. For that, if you want to look down at something on the control panel, using a hat-switch on the joystick will swivel the view, but with a VR head set, you simply move your head. Is this correct?

To a certain extent you're correct, but there is also a bit of moving your eyes around to scan instruments, since everything is life sized in vr, and in real life you would move your eyes as well.

What about 3D perception?

You will need it to truly experience true VR but P3D also has another "Mono" mode that sends the same image to both eyes, and doesn't require stereo vision. The effect is similar to using TrackIR with a monitor.

Any ideas or experience about how this will affect my ability to get anything out of VR? One of the corrections for this is "prism" prescription glasses. In my case, the right lens will bend the light by the appropriate angle, shifting the image so that it lines up with the image from my left eye.

If you actually have a prescription for such lenses, you might be able to order that prescription for use with special VR lenses such as those sold by VROpticians: https://vroptician.com/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've only just seen this post so I don't know if the OP will read it 3 months later. I just want to mention, I have read of other people with eye problems that gave them no depth perception, and they had been very surprised to find that the VR actually worked for them despite their eye condition. As a new Oculus Rift owner, I would say, the fun of flying in VR is so good, that you really should find somewhere to trial one (for example, in UK, you can try them in Currys/PC World). You just might find it is useable for you.

Also, there is a website widmovr.com, that produces prescription lenses, that clip into a frame, which in turn, clips into the Oculus Rift headset. If your prescription is not listed, you can contact them direct and they will tell you if they can assist. I have not used this company, as I can currently get away without my glasses in the Rift, but I will certainly try these prescription lenses when I need to.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts that just might help.

Happy New Year to all.