Sign in to follow this  
Wanthuyr Filho

Locking Frame Rate

In response to Dirk (the original has been locked):

"

Didn't you mention:

2) Set internal P3D v4.3 lock at 40 FPS

?

No matter what you set elsewhere (NVI or others) soon as you lock internal P3D's FPS to a certain number, you should expect that your system, if set @ unlimited FPS, can cope OK with double that number. You can set to unlimited first, fly and see what the counter shows. I.e. if you see circa 40-50 FPS around an airport @ unlimited fps in P3D, there's a good chance your system will struggle badly in the same areas with fps set to 40 in P3D. Capisce? )) 

However if you see your own settings work good for you, just disregard all this balderdash and go fly.

Dirk. 

"

Not quite that, please notice that item number 1) written by me is: ***Set NVI limited to 30 FPS***

This way I will never reach 40 FPS since 30 comes first, and NVI will limit the overal frame rate to circa 30. I can tell you the rig can keep 30 FPS most of the time (even being 4k), except when the weather has some cloud combinations and/or the scenery is heavy and/or not quite optimised to P3D v4.

To sum it up, it seems to me that unlimited will try to offload the CPU and thus cause "scenery completeness" issues, such as lack of autogen or delayed autogen, whilst 30 FPS will cause some moderate micro stuttering. 40 FPS in my perception will give a good balance between these disadvantages.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

7 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

"

Didn't you mention:

?

No matter what you set elsewhere (NVI or others) soon as you lock internal P3D's FPS to a certain number, you should expect that your system, if set @ unlimited FPS, can cope OK with double that number. You can set to unlimited first, fly and see what the counter shows. I.e. if you see circa 40-50 FPS around an airport @ unlimited fps in P3D, there's a good chance your system will struggle badly in the same areas with fps set to 40 in P3D. Capisce? )) 

However if you see your own settings work good for you, just disregard all this balderdash and go fly.

Dirk. 

"

Not quite that, please notice that item number 1) written by me is: ***Set NVI limited to 30 FPS***

This way I will never reach 40 FPS since 30 comes first, and NVI will limit the overal frame rate to circa 30. I can tell you the rig can keep 30 FPS most of the time (even being 4k), except when the weather has some cloud combinations and/or the scenery is heavy and/or not quite optimised to P3D v4.

To sum it up, it seems to me that unlimited will try to offload the CPU and thus cause "scenery completeness" issues, such as lack of autogen or delayed autogen, whilst 30 FPS will cause some moderate micro stuttering. 40 FPS in my perception will give a good balance between these disadvantages.

Agree, I used to use unlimited in sim but then the blurries became an issue so decided to lock in sim to 30 however I get better FPS when locked now to 40

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

8 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

"

Didn't you mention:

?

Dirk. 

"

Absolutely agree. I have found locking at 35 seems to work well and prevents losing autogen loading. There is a small price to pay with regards to smoothness, but setting FFTF to 0.01 has helped alleviate that issue. BTW in my experience, this has not affected loading times of scenery, which might have been expected, but has a big impact of FPS.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

It's all been hashed out in the previous "Locking Frame Rates topic"  Time to stop beating that dead horse.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: