Sign in to follow this  
kurtb

PMDG 747-8 Being released today

3 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

He actually did say that in this post.

Specifically here:

“A few things we want you to know, **before** we get into the drama of the release weekend:

Massive PMDG 747-400 Update:  Our original plan (circa 2012, when the 747 project was launched) was that the PMDG 747-8 Queen of the Skies II would overlay the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II with the same ease as the PMDG 777-300ER overlaid the PMDG 777-200LR.  Oh how wrong we were...

We were so, so wrong... 

From a technology, the 747-400 and 747-8 are entirely different machines.  Most of this is related to the data and processing functions inherent to the 747-8, and this caused us to have to do a massive amount of reconstruction on the 747-400.  What probably SHOULD have happened, is that we SHOULD have simply announced that the PMDG 747-8 was going to become a stand-alone product and called it a wrap.

We wrestled with this, since we had already told you that the PMDG 747-8 was to be an expansion, so we stuck to that plan and probably absorbed an extra 7-9 months of development time on account of it.”

It's called "tactic" 

As long as people keep on buying addons at those prices, prices will go up and up and up. Simple as that. This will go on until enough simmers say 'Enough is enough, this is getting ridiculous, I won't buy this anymore'. But until then it's logical to see prices get higher and higher. It's called economics. And greed. 😉

6 minutes ago, J van E said:

As long as people keep on buying addons at those prices, prices will go up and up and up. Simple as that. This will go on until enough simmers say 'Enough is enough, this is getting ridiculous, I won't buy this anymore'. But until then it's logical to see prices get higher and higher. It's called economics. And greed. 😉

people pay for beta products so we screwed anyways.  people give twitch streamers money so we are knackered  again anyway 

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Sales must have been pretty good. Last night on VATSIM alone @2345 CST there were 320 pilots online. Of those, 100 were fly the 747-8. Not too shabby for being out only a few hours. I’m on my second flight now and just messing around with the EFB and ACARS system have made the 747 fun to fly again. I always enjoy learning something new.

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Of course, it is also possible that the price of the PMDG 747-8 is due to the huge amount of work that has been done to produce it, and also the licensing costs for that particular aircraft (and maybe features that are included with it). Not everything in this world has the Devil's trademark on it.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 5

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

48 minutes ago, J van E said:

It's called economics. And greed.

It is called price elasticity 😉

I considered to buy the 748 (without having the 744 yet) but at a price tag of $210 there is no way I'll buy that in a million years.
But that's me. Others pilots have no problem forking that amount out.
I guess PMDG made a calculation/prediction at what price point they would get the most ROI and for them that appears to be $70 (+ $140)

• Like 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

30 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Of course, it is also possible that the price of the PMDG 747-8 is due to the huge amount of work that has been done to produce it, and also the licensing costs for that particular aircraft (and maybe features that are included with it). Not everything in this world has the Devil's trademark on it.

+1

Any one knows why documentation like turtorials etc. is not accessable in your purchase history? . Wish they would put it right there with the download link. 

I am on Rhodos and neeed to read 😎😉🌞

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I'll stick with the 747-400.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I was a fan of the J41 and NGX in FSX. I would have been happy to pay a significant upgrade fee for P3d versions of them but buying the entire addon again was the last straw for me. 

Even now, if a brand new version of the NGX came out, I’m not sure I could justify the price tag in p3d. 

They make great products and they market them to the masses very well too.

I see many posts /videos on the web from users who would not even notice the subtleties of pmdg modelling and could have saved themselves a bunch of cash by using a much less sophisticated addon. Many of these users then claim that simulation would be dead without pmdg in it....🤭

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J van E said:

When I moved on to P3Dv4 last December, I was somewhat dismayed to have to pay again - even more than the FSX prices - for all my PMDG software that I already owned for FSX. No other developer has done this to that extend, and all detailed explanations given in the PMDG forum were less than convincing since, I assume, all other developers should have to face the same constraints, legal and financial. Mr Randazzo is certainly a very experienced and talented marketing minded person, perhaps the B747-8 will be for PMDG the test of how far is too far!

Lets not forget that on top of the add-on itself, one also needs to pay for a yearly Navigraph Charts subscription to use the airport charts in the ND, which will further increase the cost of that particular plane...

For me, I shall call it "pass", with regrets!

Meh, I’d rather invest the money into the scenery. Pass.

• Like 1

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

10 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Meh, I’d rather invest the money into the scenery. Pass.

Same for me, and even those I buy them more or less during Sales as prices are on the up there too ..

• Upvote 1

The topic of the thread, the imminent release of the add-on, is now in the history books, so that'll be a wrap for this thread.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case