Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Overcast/Rain conditions my GPU goes to 100%

Help my gpu goes to 100% utilization in precipitation conditions or overcast. I have tried different presets and all of them overwork my video card. Is there a setting in the presets that is causing this? I have p3d 4.3, Activesky and Cloud Art, 8xmsaa in p3d, no Nvidia Inspector changes. My cloud texture resolution is 512 so I am not happy at this drop in performance and my loud video card fan going crazy because the temps are 90c. I talked to Activesky and they say it is not their system so it seems to be PTA tweaks. Thanks for any help. David

Edited by Boeing or not going

Definitely interested in community experience with this. Been having similar experiences. Don't see how this is PTA.

Have you checked the ASCA overcast setting? There is a slider you can move to the left for better performance. 

Also try reducing layers to 3 and draw distance to 110nm in ASP4. 

The broken 7/8 is also a killer with high AA

Thanks Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe
  • Upvote 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

47 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Have you checked the ASCA overcast setting? There is a slider you can move to the left for better performance. 

Also try reducing layers to 3 and draw distance to 110nm in ASP4. 

The broken 7/8 is also a killer with high AA

Thanks Michael Moe

I have done almost everything. smallest resolution clouds. asca slider on max performance. I'll try cloud layer that thanks for the reminder about that setting. I did uncheck the force to 7/8. Is 8xmsaa high anti aliasing? I thought ssaa is the highest anti aliasing.

Any area of precipitation if I look at that area my video card rockets to 99% utilization and fps drops. Even a small patch of clouds.

Edited by Boeing or not going

50 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Definitely interested in community experience with this. Been having similar experiences. Don't see how this is PTA.

I did not have this before PTA. I had p3d 4 since release and only bought PTA this summer.

Check whether turning off cloud shadows massively reduces GPU usage (just as a diagnostic step). If so, this could be related to a PTA setting — don’t remember the exact name off the top of my head but it’s something like “extended cloud shadows”. On my system it’s mostly not a big performance hit, except at sunrise or sunset when the sun angle is low and as a result shadows get huge. Then my FPS tank. (My workaround is to turn off cloud shadows just in these situations.)

May not be your issue, but worth a check.

James

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

I did not have this before PTA. I had p3d 4 since release and only bought PTA this summer.

My experience is exactly antipodal. I have been using PTA with P3D v3 and v4 and this behavior you describe (as it appears on my rig) started "spontaneously". No changes in PTA settings for months.

Edited by Henry Street

30 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Check whether turning off cloud shadows massively reduces GPU usage (just as a diagnostic step). If so, this could be related to a PTA setting — don’t remember the exact name off the top of my head but it’s something like “extended cloud shadows”. On my system it’s mostly not a big performance hit, except at sunrise or sunset when the sun angle is low and as a result shadows get huge. Then my FPS tank. (My workaround is to turn off cloud shadows just in these situations.)

James

Thank you that is good advice also sunset and sunrise is even more poor performance so I'll check that in pta next time.

Also try reducing your AA settings.  If you have 8 or 4XSS, your GPU usage and FPS will suffer.  Try 8XMSS instead.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

On 9/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, honanhal said:

James

I unchecked extend cloud shadows and in activesky cloud layers to 3 but large rain clouds ahead at cruising altitude and my video card usage is back up to 100%

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.