Sign in to follow this  
funkyhut1

Asia Download speed

5 minutes ago, funkyhut1 said:

Same problem as always. Download in Thailand is about 215 KB/s. And very unstable.

The connection between you and the local AWS node is down to your ISP.

Asia AWS connections go to Tokyo, Seoul, Sinagpore, or Sydney.

Kyle Rodgers

Just now, funkyhut1 said:

My speed test to other Asian countries and the USA is over 60 MBPS.

That's kinda like saying "the speed limit on the highway near me is 70MPH."

...yet the speed limit on the roads you need to use to get your groceries is 35. What matters is the speed on the roads you need to get what you're looking for.

If your ISP has an awful connection to that AWS node, you'll see issues. Contact your ISP and see what's up.

Kyle Rodgers

Please Kyle, stop trying to be clever.
I have a problem unrelated to my ISP. I can download anything from anywhere with no problems.
With this, I've uninstalled the 747 and am now trying to get the new file with no luck. I've tried 4 times now. The last one came down at over 5 MBPS till it got to 400k and then it crapped out to 0. Same as the 3 previous attempts.
Don't jump to Amazon's defense and blame my ISP without any justification for doing so.

Thank You.

Chris Stanley VTCC

It's dropping out from MB/s speeds to KB/s speeds (190 - 200) at 385KB downloaded. Same place every time.

Chris Stanley VTCC

8 minutes ago, funkyhut1 said:

Please Kyle, stop trying to be clever.

I'm not trying to be clever. Our files are stored on Amazon AWS. This is a fact.

Amazon has endpoints located at the locations I specified (and a couple others, but China is naturally walled off, and Osaka is local-only). This is a fact.

When you need to access our files, you access them via a link that resolves to an AWS node closest to you. This is a fact.

Your ability to access the AWS node that your request resolves to will determine your speed. This is a fact.

(If you want to verify this, open a cmd window and running "tracert s3.amazon.com" to watch the path.)

There are no reported outages (and haven't been in the last few days, either). This is also a fact: https://status.aws.amazon.com/

If you wish to provide facts against the ones I've provided here, you're welcome to, but I'm sorry - this isn't about me being clever. This is about a connection issue between you and the local AWS node.

15 minutes ago, funkyhut1 said:

Don't jump to Amazon's defense and blame my ISP without any justification for doing so.

I'm not exactly jumping to their defense, but when it comes to a global company with servers (that loadshed and redirect if one gets overwhelmed or goes down) around the world that serves files that we use day in and day out, I have to side with facts and statistics.

I can get our entire installer downloaded in about 2 minutes here at home (DC), about 2 minutes when I'm in LA, and about 3 minutes on crappy hotel wireless when I'm abroad (granted, usually EU, but still - this is a worldwide service with distributed endpoints, offering better/faster speeds than you'd otherwise be getting).

I get that this is frustrating, but don't accuse me of dragging feelings into this when this is purely fact-based. Additionally, don't lecture me on what is actually going on without providing the evidence behind it, please.

Kyle Rodgers

Tried 2 more times. It craps out at 375k each  time. That does not sound like an ISP problem but an Amazon issue.
Thank You.

Chris Stanley VTCC

6 minutes ago, funkyhut1 said:

That does not sound like an ISP problem but an Amazon issue.

You're welcome to your opinion. Opinions don't solve issues, though.

You can either contact your ISP to see if they can provide any guidance, contact Amazon in your location to see if they can provide you any guidance, or you can continue to assert you know where the issue is and not get a resolution.

The files are out there. You are the only one reporting an issue at this moment. (Also a fact.)

Facts, by definition, do not lie.

Kyle Rodgers

FACT: I just tried again. It downloads at 6+ MB/s. Then, this time, at 411k it crapped out for the 6th, I think, time..
I'll refrain from responding to anything else you have written out of respect for PMDG and the outstanding service they provide to our community.
Again, this time crapped out at 472k.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Hey bud,

THis one download manager out. I use it for all AWS downloads. Way better then browser. AT least for me.....

No better with a download manager. I'm using Chrome and have NEVER had this problem with ANY file I've EVER tried to download.

Chris Stanley VTCC

My ISP is TRUE Internet. I have now tried with another ISP (3BB) on my phone. Craps out at around 30%
I give up.

Chris Stanley VTCC