Sign in to follow this  
oskrypuch

FSBuild vs FSNavigator

Guest l3rookesy

Hi guys,Thinking about buying either FSBuild or FSNavigator to help with my long distance flight planning. Which do people think is best? I have tried the demo of FSNavigator and was pretty impressed but not tried FSBuild, is it any good?Cheers

Most hard-core simmers like my self build and export thier flight-plans with FSBuild2. I own FSNav, which I haven't used in a couple of years, and FS-Commander which I run on a WideFS PC to this day. I use FS-Commander simply for an external moving map display and information while in-flight. When I build a plan in FSBuild2, it exports directly to FS9, which is also used by Radar Contact and Active Sky. It also exports to most big-paywar aircraft for use in the plane's FMC as well as FS-Commander. Most people have trouble at first with the FSBuild graphical-user-interface (GUI) but read one or two of the tutorials on the FSBuild2 website and you'll be able to figure it out quickly, or post back here for plenty of help. My recommendation is to buy FSBuild2.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I would second that... Initially I was attracted to pretty one...But FSBuild is the way to go.. No Q about it.Once you get into serious IFR and/or airliners ... you will eventually need FSBuild anyway.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Ilike to use Fsbuild to plan the flight and export into FS9 but also have FS Navigator as it shows me where I am going in the flightsim world when I am actually flying and without having to exit flight simulator.Both are very good but if I have any niggle at all it is that with FSbuild some waypoints in the SIDS are misplaced in the nav database and one suddenly gets a 1000 mile diversion in the flight plan. Otherwise very good programmes both of themJohn

FSBuild allows you to plan "outside" of FS9. You can do everything in advance, and then start up the sim. In the US this is what I do:1. Query flightaware to get a realistic route.2. Enter the route in FSBuild and create my FS9-format flight plan, then print it out.3. Start ActiveSky and download current Wx. 4. Import my flightplan to ASv6 and get my weather.5. Do my fuel planning and load sheet.6. Start FS9 and refresh ASv6 to input the Wx.Of course there are many other ways to do it. I just like having the FSBuild available to get things done up front. There is also the freeware Super Flight Planner that is sort of the same idea.scott s..

As so many else I use FSBuild for planning my flights and FSNavigator as a moving map. FSNavigator is convenient when I fly online with an airplane that lacks FMC and I have to use intersections. I also use FSCommander which is very close to FSNavigator in functionality, however FSCommander can be used from a second computer and shows the other online pilots when I'm on VATSIM.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest X-ray

Hello,Thanks for opening this topic.If you're new to flight planning, FSBuild may be overwhelming and difficult to use. I always suggest FSNavigator to beginners as it's learning curve is much less steep.When you become a more proficient flight planner, you can consider switching to FSBuild.I started 6 years ago with FSNav and switched to FSBuild 3 years later. I'm happy I started with FSNav, it teached me the basics of flight planning very well and this experience gave me a head start when I switched to FSBuild.Kind regards,Bart

Goodness, it's been so long since even bothered to install FSNav, all this talk about it kinda makes me miss the old display which many of us used for years through several versions of FS. Now I think I'll re-install it just for 'ol time sake.FSNav Questions, is 4.7 still the latest version? I know it's still supported by the NavData AIRACS but how the developers? Are they still around or will there ever be a new version? Maybe for FSX? The last I remember, the development was done for good. Rumors are welcome ;)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest deKoven

Hmmm, I'd have to say ... first understand what KIND of flying you're going to be working on. If you're a "big iron" flyer then FSBuild is clearly the way to go; on the other hand, if you're flying low and slow VFR type flying then FSNav will do more good. Frankly, I'm a VFR flyer and very seldom use flight plans at all except for the spur of the moment flight plans I can build with FSNav and throw away afterward. I do a lot of flying to places I might not visit again for (real time) months. FSNav has a map, autopilot and other features useful for that sort of flight.:D

Guest PPSFA

I use FSN for everything and love it

Bart,I have to agree with you on FSNav. I am not real profient in flying but learning something new everyday. If someone is looking for the ability to just create a flightplan from point A to Point B and once ariborne have autopilot take over and fly you to your destination Fs Nav is very simple to use. You can continually keep up to date with your route while remaining in FS9. With that said it should be noted that not all payware planes can use the autopilot. PMDG 737s, and Level D 767 to mention a few; however there are export modules that you can use to export your flightplans directly into your FMC for the PMDG and LDL. I do not own FSbuild; howwever, I plan to move up in the not to distant future. FSNav is served me well for now. Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi All,Speaking of FsNavigator, would anyone know the location of the FSNAV database, created by the creator program?? I d/l'd the latest AIRAC data, and re-created the database, but I think I lost a few convenient intersections along the way. I'd like to view the database to see if I might be able to somehow transfer the intersections over to the new database. But I haven't been able to locate where the database is located.Thanks for your help on this!orbmis

Guest l3rookesy

Hi Guys,Thanks for all the comments and help, I think I'm going to go with FSBuild as most of my flying is done using the brilliant PMDG Boeing aircraft on medium and long haul flights and it also looks like FSBuild is a bit more "powerful" as it were. Read some reviews on Avsim and it looks excellent!Thanks for the help everyone.

>FSBuild allows you to plan "outside" of FS9. You can do>everything in advance, and then start up the sim. In the US>this is what I do:>>1. Query flightaware to get a realistic route.>>2. Enter the route in FSBuild and create my FS9-format flight>plan, then print it out.>>3. Start ActiveSky and download current Wx. >>4. Import my flightplan to ASv6 and get my weather.>>5. Do my fuel planning and load sheet.>>6. Start FS9 and refresh ASv6 to input the Wx.One simple suggestion, start AV6 BEFORE building that plan in FSBuild, you can set up FSBuild to then import the current winds aloft data from AV6. Really helpful for the long hauls.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com