Sign in to follow this  

Q400 RNAV approach questions

10 hours ago, Airline2Sim said:

Hang on, the aircraft did a perfect RNAV approach into Guernsey for the first approach and all the set up and information about how to perform it is in the very comprehensive video. 

After the RNAV arrival I intentionally flared beyond the touchdown marker (as we’d briefed that the short runway at Guernsey mandated a touchdown within the markers) and did a go around. We didn’t plan to do this initially but I thought it might be good fun to stress the importance of landing in the right place on a short runway.

We then set up for another RNAV arrival but this time the aircraft failed to descend on at the calculated glide slope and we did another go around. 

We don’t quite know why this happened, or whether this was a sim thing or a Majestic thing but by now we were getting a bit tight on fuel so we did the ILS. 

The full RNAV tutorial IS in the video, except it didn’t quite work out for the second approach. We left the whole thing in the video as it’s actually quite interesting to see the decision making process once we realise that the aircraft isn’t going to play ball. 

Trust me, I will not sell a video that say ‘hey here’s a RNAV tutorial’ and then show you how to do an ILS.

For what it’s worth there’s a huge amount of stuff in the FO Program that delves deeper into the modelling of the Q400 from rejected takeoffs, engine failures, balancing the fuel, single engine landings, dealing with icing on takeoffs and landing, CATII operations, circle to land, plus VOR and NDB approaches. The RNAV video is only a small part so I don’t think you’ll feel short changed.

Hope that clears it up. 

My apologies. I raced through it to check for JvanE and hadn’t seen it in a long time. I must have missed the first run. 

@J van E please see comments from Ben and my apology.

I still suggest you purchase the course. (as long as you can handle the UK dialects 🙂 )

Edited by GHarrall

59 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

@J van E please see comments from Ben and my apology.

I still suggest you purchase the course. (as long as you can handle the UK dialects 🙂 )

25 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

Don’t worry, I was just keen to see the record straight 🙂

Okay, okay, okay, I purchased the FO program a minute ago. 😉 Looking forward to seeing it all. Who knows, maybe I'll get addicted to failures sometime soon. 😉

EXCELLENT video series. I’m far into my third attempt to master the Q400 over as many years. I’m making a transition from nearly 20 years of piston AC, most notably the DC3, into turboprops first, then the jets. Have put a wheelbarrow full of cash into the endeavor building out hardware and software. Many difficulties along the way, most notable the Q400 controls and my hardware, but all is worked out now.  I am DETERMINED to fly this AC well.

I’m not stretching this stat, I believe I have at least 40 to 50 hours of YouTube Q400 video logged. Many of them multiple views. I’m finally at the point where I’m quite pleased with my confidence to begin to fly regular VA flights. ALL of my simming time is now in the Q400 and will be for the next 6 months or a few hundred hours before moving up to a B737. Just like in the real world.

I have watched these Airline2Sim video’s over and over and over. Each time I watch them I pick up something I missed. The value lies in the fact that they are planned, scripted, and detailed in extreme detail and are well executed in addition to having a real Q400 pilot in the cockpit giving you the “real deal”. Not to take anything away from some of the other video’s out there, but few come anywhere close to the expertise provided in this training. The two pilots take the training and the flight VERY seriously, rather than saying “screwit, that didn’t work, move on, it’s only a sim”.

Worth the price? Beyond any doubt. Hope I’m not highjacking the thread, but I did want to offer an opinion on the buying or not buying decision and if they are worth the money.

I have a few questions regarding some of the procedures taught and what I can get done, but that is between my ears and should be another post.

THANK YOU for doing these Ben! Very professional and worth the purchase price. This opinion from a retired GA pilot in the real world.

Cheerio!

Radial9

38 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

Don’t worry, I was just keen to see the record straight 🙂

Will Aurasim ever get an update? The AIRAC is so old. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

While I am at it: I am happy to say the audio quality of the FO course is a LOT better than that of the cadet course. First of all, it's stereo (Ben left, Jos right), which helps a lot already. Secondly the sound recording is simply better: a lot less harsh, no pops and clicks, no distorted s's and t's, etc. Seems a much better mic was used and/or a pop filter. In short: it simply sounds professional and a LOT better than the cadet training. So I am quite happy with that! 😉

5 hours ago, J van E said:

While I am at it: I am happy to say the audio quality of the FO course is a LOT better than that of the cadet course. First of all, it's stereo (Ben left, Jos right), which helps a lot already. Secondly the sound recording is simply better: a lot less harsh, no pops and clicks, no distorted s's and t's, etc. Seems a much better mic was used and/or a pop filter. In short: it simply sounds professional and a LOT better than the cadet training. So I am quite happy with that! 😉

Great to hear it. Here’s the thing, we actually recorded the original Cadet series with USB headsets which I thought would add a more ‘in the flight deck’ ambience if we remixed it a bit to sound less like a studio mic hence the scratches and pops. In hindsight it wasn’t a great decision as although native English speakers enjoyed the ‘immersion’, I know some non native English speakers would have preferred clearer and purer audio. 

Hence the Q400 FO and the 777 Cadet Program were recorded in a proper studio with high end professional mics and then we remastered all the audio again for the videos.

Hope you enjoy it! 

@Radial9 thank you for the incredibly kind comments. These Programs are far from easy to put together and that’s why we only manage to do about one a year, but there will be more. I’m humbled, thank you. 

@fakeflyer737 yes it is massively out of date and I agree. But we didn’t make the site and to be honest I don’t even know how we’d do it. We have a fully fledged 777 calculator based on the manufacturer’s data for the -300, -200LR and the F which we can’t do anything with because this isn’t our field. I hope to come back to Aurasim one day and do it but for now it is what it is, I’m afraid. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:02 PM, Airline2Sim said:

Great to hear it.

You'd also be happy to hear that after watching the FO RNAV video I decided to start all over again with the Cadet training... and that within half an hour I had several AHA-moments already. 😉 Things I completely forgot about or missed during the first view. So as others said already (and to counter some possibly negative remarks of mine concerning the courses) they are truly worth their money indeed! 🙂

2 hours ago, J van E said:

You'd also be happy to hear that after watching the FO RNAV video I decided to start all over again with the Cadet training... and that within half an hour I had several AHA-moments already. 😉 Things I completely forgot about or missed during the first view. So as others said already (and to counter some possibly negative remarks of mine concerning the courses) they are truly worth their money indeed! 🙂

I knew you would come around eventually 😉

Is there any free video as a trial to get an idea of the product ? (haven't seen on your site but I might have overlook)

I might be interested but I'm a bit reluctant without having the opportunity to have a first glance (and  not being a native english speaker  the accent could be an issue)

There isn’t a free trial as such but we did get a 5 star review from Avsim and of the thousands of happy customers I’d say almost 50% are from outside the Anglosphere. There are overlays and text to help you along the way. 

If you get it, I hope you enjoy it!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Amazing in my mind and thats why i have recommended Ben over the years and his projects.

Looking forward to your work Ben 😍

Thanks

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

8 hours ago, Airline2Sim said:

Thanks 🙏 music to my ears 🙂

Ben, I'm happy to see you are still around here. I've spent a lot of hours with you and Josh in the Q400 cockpit lately and really had a good time. :-)

I hope you can get your future projects ready soon, in particular the A320. Keep up your work. It's a unique enhancement to the flight sim world!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bushido5 said:

Is there any free video as a trial to get an idea of the product ? (haven't seen on your site but I might have overlook)

I might be interested but I'm a bit reluctant without having the opportunity to have a first glance (and  not being a native english speaker  the accent could be an issue)