Sign in to follow this  
dolbinau

FSX: SE GPU issues (low performance)

Hi all,

I recently started using my computer for the first time in 6 months...FPS was terrible. I uninstalled my GPU driver and had Windows 10 re-install the stock one, suddenly everything started working. A week later I'm having the same issues.

Basically I'll get smooth 30+ FPS then suddenly it'll go down to 5-10FPS while my GPU will spike to 99%. It's a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB. Any ideas? My i7 utilisation still remains only at 50% during the time. 

Thanks

See the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for FSX and video card settings.  You should have seen most of us in 2007 when FSX was first released.  Single digits most of the time and struggling to get to 15 fps.  Getting to 30 fps was only possible by lowing our settings to the default or lower.  We all had the most powerful GPU for the time (a GTX 8800) and that did not help.  We were told FSX was never programmed to take advantage of the GPU and uses mostly the CPU to run application.  Perhaps, if FSX had been upgraded by Microsoft back then, the techs would have been able to program FSX to use the GPU but Microsoft got rid of them before they could improve the FSX application. Meanwhile, FSX addon developers continued to keep FSX alive by creating new CPU intensive add-ons and things got worse.  Then, in 2011, Intel released the i7 2600K and it was like night and day.  Most members could easily overclock their CPU and fps get better.  Still, FSX is a program that mostly uses the CPU.  The GPU is mostly important to keep the jaggies and blurries away just like it does for every application on your desktop.  FSX is still not programmed to take advantage of the GPU and it never will. 

So, if FSX uses the CPU the most and it remains at 50% utilization, then, your FSX settings are low and your GPU settings for the video card are very high.  You have a tweak that is causing the spikes to 99%.  That should never happen.  There are several causes - high display driver settings, or resource intensive add-ons are the most common.   Your GPU is under-powered with just 3GB's of memory.  FSX is an application that cannot be maxed out in settings.  If you do not like the scenery with reduced settings, then FSX is not for you as FSX will never ever get any better.  Be happy you can get 30 fps most of the time with fps dropping into the teens and single digits occasionally.  That's a huge upgrade from the days from when we first got FSX and had to suffer with fps in single digits and nothing higher than 20 fps most of the time.  If you want better fps, then you should upgrade to P3D which is based off of the FSX engine but constantly being upgraded.  Otherwise, lower your GPU settings.  High settings do not work with FSX.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, dolbinau said:

Hi all,

I recently started using my computer for the first time in 6 months...FPS was terrible. I uninstalled my GPU driver and had Windows 10 re-install the stock one, suddenly everything started working. A week later I'm having the same issues.

Basically I'll get smooth 30+ FPS then suddenly it'll go down to 5-10FPS while my GPU will spike to 99%. It's a Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB. Any ideas? My i7 utilisation still remains only at 50% during the time. 

Thanks

Perhaps Windows is automatically updating your drivers.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yes I wonder if this is something to do with Windows 10 creators or drivers or otherwise. I've been with FSX including using this same hardware since 2016 and these issues are only new. Something has gone wrong...

Edited by dolbinau

That will do the trick until windows update changes something, like your GPU Driver. I had disabled Nvidia in the background as well as windows update. I then select the updates I want. Seemed like I was always chasing problems until I did this. Pretty stable now.

On 24 December 2018 at 3:27 PM, Wblackret said:

That will do the trick until windows update changes something, like your GPU Driver.

The easiest way to avoid this is to disable ONLY driver updates and still allow security updates: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Did you check the task manager to see whats causing your performance to tank? All you do is right click on Windows and click on Task Manager to see what applications are taking up the most utilization and kill the task by right clicking and ending the task.