Sign in to follow this  
Alex_2815

P3D v4 awful layers in the sky

Hello, 

I recently moved to P3D v4 and the game seems a bit more fps friendly.

I installed ORBX Envtex and all the stuff but I have a problem with the sky. Indeed, with or without Envtex activated, I can see 3 different layers in the sky, which is just awful. I put you a screenshot close to Paris CDG with AS16 weather and without Envtex. You can see those 3 layers.

https://flic.kr/p/2bm4uDz

So, if you know how to get a smooth sky, I would appreciate it ! 

Thank you

Alex

You mean colour banding in the sky texture? 

If so, it used to be that it meant that you had 16 bit colour selected in your display properties in windows. It needs to be 32 bit true colour. 

I would start there......

i would look but your link doesn’t work for me.

Edited by GHarrall

That's not as a result of 16 bit colour but I think its supposed to be like that at that time of the day. Its a bit more uniform in the sim than in reality but look at this real photo and you see the same phenomenon more or less:

photo0000-2778.jpg

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Avidean said:

That's not as a result of 16 bit colour but I think its supposed to be like that at that time of the day. Its a bit more uniform in the sim than in reality but look at this real photo and you see the same phenomenon more or less:

photo0000-2778.jpg

Indeed, looks a bit similar but in my sim this very dark circle in high alitude is very ugly. Is there really no way to at least make it more uniform ? 

I currently don't use P3D so I don't recall exactly what it looked like in my sim but I used REX texture direct and I don't recall anything not meeting my expectations. I see you have evntex and I would NOT suggest getting other addons that do the same thing. Looking at your screen shoot I can certainly understand your frustration. It certainly resembles the real phenomenon but I do agree it is far to uniform. Hopefully someone else will tune in and give you some advice on how to improve it. I have nothing more to offer.

7 hours ago, Alex_2815 said:

I installed ORBX Envtex

There is no ORBX Envtex?  

Cheers, Rob.

25 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

There is no ORBX Envtex?  

Cheers, Rob.

I think he means Orbx addons and Envtex Rob.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

5 hours ago, Avidean said:

It definitely doesn't look that way IRL, not even remotely. This is simply a highly compressed low quality photo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, eaim said:

I think he means Orbx addons and Envtex Rob.

Right, punctuation may still make a whole lot of difference. 😉

• Like 1

TOGA Projects EnvTex ? 

If so, make sure you have high res sky textures and select a sky set that looks to your desire.

In NCP make sure you have color format = RGB and color range = Full and not limited.

Banding is common with compression, so avoid using it for sky textures.

screen resolution can also introduce banding problems, higher resolution monitors/settings can actually expose banding issues.

Cheers Rob.

Ok thank you guys i now know where the problem come from. It comes from ASCA 2016 ( the weather engine). Look how stunning it is with a casual P3D weather !

So if anyone know why does ASCA makes my sky look so awful with the real weather activated, it would be great.

Alexhttps://flic.kr/p/MBgFVZ

• Upvote 1

Some skies by ASCA are very unnatural in my opinion (other people might regard them as spectacular). I would only use skies by ENVTEX - I find them most natural of all.

3 hours ago, Alex_2815 said:

Ok thank you guys i now know where the problem come from. It comes from ASCA 2016 ( the weather engine). 

Just to keep things straight - ASCA is not the weather engine - ASP4 is the weather engine - ASCA is clouds and skies. You have to try different combinations of ASCA and Envtex to find ones you like. ASCA and/or Envtex wiol give you band free skies if you set them up right.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If you're using ASP4, under Cloud Options, you can set the maximum number of cloud layers up to 20 (the default ASP4 setting is 5). Increasing the number of cloud layers will hit performance a bit, but it does improve the look of cloudy skies, IMO, especially with ASCA clouds..

.- Bob