Sign in to follow this  
acamp04

747-8 ntdll.dll Crash

Hi everyone,

I tried to do a flight in the B748 from PANC to VHHH tonight and got this error about 6 hours into the flight. If you need anymore information please let me know!

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.3.29.25520, time stamp: 0x5b2c3263
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xa5a334d4
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4d3b
Faulting process id: 0x3808
Faulting application start time: 0x01d452f0506f5e37
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1bc82325-2c25-41d5-9f81-1e761017eb0c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edited by acamp04

Aaron Campbell

25 minutes ago, acamp04 said:

ntdll.dll

As you're on P3Dv4 it is likely an incompatibility with any addon, that isn't completely compatible with version 4. If you have addon sceneries installed please check that they are 100% made compatible with v4. There are indeed still some developers out there (mainly scenery) who haven't understood the importance of a proper recompilation.

Of course this issue can also be different but very likely you will find the culprit in your addons.

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't had this issue at all until I installed the updated 744 and the 748. Nothing has changed in my sim except those two items.

Edited by acamp04

Aaron Campbell

8 minutes ago, acamp04 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't had this issue at all until I installed the updated 744 and the 748. Nothing has changed in my sim except those two items.

Correlation is not always causation. I’m willing to bet you flew over some incompatible scenery at about that 6 hour mark.

Check out the AVSIM CTD guide for common issues. That referenced dll isn’t ours.

Kyle Rodgers

Yep, started reading up on the guide. 6 hrs in I should've been over the ocean or Eastern Russia which would have just been orbx world and vector scenery. Thanks again.

Aaron Campbell

I also got a CTD last night with ntdll.dll. And I can see from project fly that I didn't fly over any airport when the crash happened. My guess is it crashed when the auto step climb happened. Was also about 6 hours of being loaded into the plane.

Nick Hesler

6 hours ago, acamp04 said:

Hi everyone,

I tried to do a flight in the B748 from PANC to VHHH tonight and got this error about 6 hours into the flight. If you need anymore information please let me know!

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.3.29.25520, time stamp: 0x5b2c3263
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.254, time stamp: 0xa5a334d4
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4d3b
Faulting process id: 0x3808
Faulting application start time: 0x01d452f0506f5e37
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1bc82325-2c25-41d5-9f81-1e761017eb0c
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I also did PANC - VHHH and I had no issues. Which other sceneries covering that route do you have active?

For reference, I used:

PMDG B747-8

GSX Level 2

Activesky ASN + ASCA

Aerosoft PANC

Razi2Gate VHHH

OrbX Global

Navigraph Simlink

PTA 

If I were you, I would re-attempt the flight with all addon scenery and add-ons disabled (Orbx Global is ok as it only replaces the default textures). If it works, you re-attemp your next few flights with more scenery/add-ons enabled again.This is to Identify and eliminate the culprit (if it is a scenery/add-on). 

From experience, ntdll.dll typically points to a corrupt nvidia driver.

Edited by calzonister

1 hour ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

I had an ntdll crash on my first too, about 6 hours in. From EDDF to KBOS

By any chance, did it crash in the vicinity of Labrador/Newfoundland, and do you use GSX? 

If so, on your next attempt, click disable GSX once you reach top of climb, (via the addon-on menu). Once you are approaching KBOS re-enable GSX.

There has been lengthy discussions in the Avsim P3D forum regarding the Labrador/Newfoundland area, interacting and triggering GSX and ultimately FSX/P3D to crash.

Best guess is faulty default facility data, or something much deeper within the ESP/Simconnect code. 

Somehow disabling/re-enabling GSX, or re-starting countl once and in-flight helps prevent the issue entirely.

Edited by calzonister
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, calzonister said:

By any chance, did it crash in the vicinity of Labrador/Newfoundland, and do you use GSX? 

If so, on your next attempt, click disable GSX once you reach top of climb, (via the addon-on menu). Once you are approaching KBOS re-enable GSX.

There has been lengthy discussions in the Avsim P3D forum regarding the Labrador/Newfoundland area, interacting and triggering GSX and ultimately FSX/P3D to crash.

Best guess is faulty default facility data, or something much deeper within the ESP/Simconnect code. 

Somehow disabling/re-enabling GSX, or re-starting countl once and in-flight helps prevent the issue entirely.

I was away from my PC at the time it happened, but given the timeframe, yeah I probably was around that area. I’ll set up the exact same flight today and disable GSX. Thanks for the tip!

36 minutes ago, uhntissbaby111 said:

I was away from my PC at the time it happened, but given the timeframe, yeah I probably was around that area. I’ll set up the exact same flight today and disable GSX. Thanks for the tip!

There was an update to GSX last month or so that addressed this problem.  Simply put, GSX is now disabled above 250/10000.  If you get a response from GSX above than then you need to run the FSDT Updater.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 minutes ago, downscc said:

There was an update to GSX last month or so that addressed this problem.  Simply put, GSX is now disabled above 250/10000.  If you get a response from GSX above than then you need to run the FSDT Updater.

I haven’t updated GSX in a bit, so that makes sense. I’ll get that done right now. Thank you

4 hours ago, calzonister said:

I just had the same CTD over that area earlier today.  Thx for the GSX heads up, but mine is also updated.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Just landed after 8:25 hours flight, KPAE-ENGM. No problem.

Updated -400 like advised, then installed -800. Active Sky and Cloud Art in use, no GSX.

DD's Seattle Airports, Aerosoft ENGM. ORBX Vector, LC and textures and ORBX NOR package. 🤘