Sign in to follow this  
TimothyNathan

Holding Home Key with a real touch screen

Using a touch screen (and I have tried on both a PC touchscreen and on an iPad running DuetDisplay) I can't press and hold Home for Default Nav. 

Is that a known Issue?

Hi Timothy,

The only possible explanation is the interface converting touch to mouse clicks is not supporting press-and-hold. Otherwise, there is nothing special in the plugin: it gets mouse down, hold, release events from X-Plane only.

Does it make any difference if you popout the window (detached from X-Plane) as opposed to popup (in-sim)?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

It works in the popout window, but not in popup.

I am sorry if I am being stoopid, but the only press and hold option I see is

PenAndTouch_normal.jpg

enable press and hold for right click.  I see no other setting.

It doesn't work with that setting set either way.

Your screenshots show 'press and hold' (touch) = 'right click' (mouse).

Pressing and holding the touchscreen should be pressing and holding left mouse button!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

I think what that caption means is that press and hold with your finger (regardless of which hand or finger) it acts as a right-click (ie context menu.)

Maybe we should back up a level.  Do we know of anyone who has a touch screen on W7 who is able to press and hold the home key with their finger?

If so, could they share their pen settings?

What if you disable Touch press and hold, i.e. configure it to nothing? If so, I'd assume touching the screen sends a left click, and it will release the left click when you 'un-touch' the screen?

Having said this, I've just search the matter on the internet and the first links are:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_search-insiderplat_pc/press-hold-problems-on-touchscreen/b127bd0e-9874-4190-855b-fe907de200a3

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-tms/how-to-use-touch-screen-with-fingers-to-simulate/bbf00291-8698-4274-b935-4f77ae2b5122

In short: Windows touch interface doesn't support this. It triggers left mouse click when your release the finger from the screen, it may triggers press and hold if you keep moving your finder on the screen. I wonder why they can't just bind the finger action to the left mouse button, this seems the basic way to support touch...

Further looking into this, I've found this discussion. See last post by Torbjørn about a Windows 10 driver:

Hi, just found a solution - at least for a Elo touch screen (USB).

All though the touch screen works out of the box plugged in the USB, the Microsoft Windows driver is what causes this issue. We installed the Elo driver and used a setting called "Force Mouse = 1". The driver then installs the touch screen as a mouse, and now all the buttons works as they should

We did similar driver installation on two other brands of touch screens with same success. All the machines where running windows10

Regards
Torbjørn Hansen
Kystdesign

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Press-and-hold-on-a-Surface-pro-touch-screen/td-p/2816346/page/2

I don't know if this will work for you, but it may be worth a try. Please make sure to backup your system before any change, just in case.

I have looked at those various threads and played around and cannot get anything to work.  Also, weirdly, the iPad (being used as a PC screen) behaves differently to the Iiyama screens, such that even when press-and-hold = right click is disabled, it remains enabled for the iPad screen.

This is clearly a W7 bug, and I cannot see them fixing it now :hemm:

But if any of your customers has a fix or workaround, it would be great.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:39 AM, RXP said:

the Microsoft Windows driver is what causes this issue. We installed the Elo driver and used a setting called "Force Mouse = 1".

Have you also tried this driver?

4 hours ago, RXP said:

Have you also tried this driver?

They used it specifically on a Elo touch screen; I am reticent to try it on completely different screens (2 x Iiyama and DuetDisplay on an iPad.)

Do you think that I'd be able to force it to work? 

As my issue is really on DuetDisplay (that is where the GTN is), maybe I'll ask them.

I don't know if the Elo driver will work, you are right. At least, the information posted in the thread might have lead you to find additional settings in your existing driver, like their "Force Mouse = 1"

I've also found a program but I can't vouch for it:

https://www.lovesummertrue.com/touchmousepointer/en-us/index.html

28 minutes ago, TimothyNathan said:

They used it specifically on a Elo touch screen;

Just occurred to me he also says:

"We did similar driver installation on two other brands of touch screens with same success. All the machines where running windows10"

I'm afraid we don't have an immediate solution at the time.
We'll keep investigating this issue, but it's hard for us to provide you with a proper ETA at this time.

Does that mean that "Press and Hold" is a known issue, or have I brought you a bug that you were unaware of?

Duet is designed to detect a touch input as a click event, so I thought it should work on your intended use case.
I need to check with our dev team to be sure, but this seems to be a rare behavior.

Hope you can bear with us a little longer.

Which, I think, demonstrates that they don't understand the question.