Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

YAK 40 - Version 2 addon - WOW

Hello,I have been using the new YAK 40 Version 2 addon for about 3 days. It came from here: http://www.suprunovdesign.ru/. I had their Version 1 and received the update (A whole new model) for free.I have three other Russian sims and they were all very good but I lost interest in them because I don't speak/read Russian and support was very hard to come by.This one is different:1 The A/C is modeled to a level that I have never seen before2 The VC is so good that I fly from it with a TrackIR all of the time3 The gauges are as smooth as my REALAIR Spitfire and they all work.4 There is an option for English cueing/tool help so I have all the help I need on the panels5. The support has been 100% and very friendly6. When a problem developed for a lot of the users with what looked like a memory leak :"out of memory failures" they put out a "lite" update in about 2 days that only simplified the lighting (Staggering anyway!). It works fine and my flights have been flawless.7. There is a CTRL E startup that powers up the entire A/C to a taxi state - one step at a time (saving about 30 minutes of cold/dark time if you choose).8. The sound is great - seems very realistic9. Very "crude" nav system installed - it has to be "aligned" with the real world before you can fly (there is real procedure and a "quick" version if you cannot master the complicated one.I use this aircraft because it is very "sinple" in concept - no FMS, Autopilot for Altitude Hold Only - turns are handled via Autopilot dial for bank - Flaps are "continuous" via key deressions and are set whereever you like/need and there is no Autoland (just ILS gauge support. Every switch seems modeled and all work in the V/C.I'm only a sim pilot and cannot comment on the flight model but it seems to fly like a dream - don't know if the real thiing acts the same way.Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys/gals know my experience with this addon. I only wish that the other "high end" products that I have were of equal performance - I do admit that my LDS/PMDG products as well as my Dreamfleet ones are great.I would like to hear other users opinions of this addon if you have it.Thanks in advance and cheers,Ron SagelNEAR KCHS

As nice as it is, I'm guessing the price tag of about $50 and the fact that it might have a memory leak is going to remove it from most people's "buying list". With regards to the possible memory leak issue; If people's computers are running out of memory in FS ONLY while flying in the Yak-40, then the add-on has issues. Why would 1 add-on aircraft use 1 GB of memory by itself? I'm guessing it is an issue with something having to do with the panel. As much as I appreciate that they have released a "Lite" version to help deal with the memory problem their customers are experiencing, that is not a fix and should not be treated as such. Reducing the "quality" of a product to solve an issue does not equate to a "fix" in my book. You can fly the Yak now, but at what cost..........Half the texture size and half the cockpit night-lighting. I hope they actually do rectify the issue as it looks like a real nice product.I REALLY wanted to pick this one up, but with a near $50 price and an issue like a memory leak, I'm gonna have to pass. :(

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hello,Just a word here- the only change in the "LITE" version that I can see is a change to the lighting - I can't tell the diff between it and the "heavy" version.As far as the price - I must admit that I would not have laid out the $50 if I did not receive the free upgrade from the Version 1.0 system.Cheers,Ron Sagel

Hi Ron,I would like to know if there is an alternative way to start it up, apart from that "frustrating" Control + E. I already have it, but I was so disappointed to know that it was a "lite" version, that I didn't fly it at all. And that's because I enjoy to start a plane from cold & dark. The only remarkable change I noticed is a circuit braker panel, that there was not in the previous - better to me - version. I also noticed that the previous version panels were significantly clearer and not obscure at all than the v2.0. It is likely that I uninstall it and keep the previous version.Regards,Sotiris.Athens, Greece.

Sotiris Stavrakis

Guest allcott

Sotiris, I think you are confused. This aircraft is designed to be started from cold and dark. It can take half an hour or more, which is why the Ctrl+E alternative is provided.As for the `Lite` version, this has some minor alterations to the VC lighting. NO OTHER SYSTEMS ARE CHANGED. I think you need to spend some more time with the manuals!Allcott

OK, then, I tried with the previous version manuals and tutorial flight, but not even the APU did start up. I don't know if any newer manuals have been issued by now. At least two days ago they had not.As for me , I have logged up more than 4000 flight hours with 27 different types of jets, and even more time studying A/C manuals. Thanks for the CAPITALS !!

Sotiris Stavrakis

Guest allcott

The mere fact that you are even trying to use the old manuals for the new aircraft tells me that your 4000 hours are worth nothing. The V2.0 is a new aircraft, with ALL NEW SYSTEMS which you need to LEARN to use, as soon as the full manuals are available. Your basic error regaridng the LITE version tells me you haven't READ ENOUGH.Which is why the capitals were SO NECESSARY before you give other simmers the wrong idea.It's not a problem to admit when you don't know something, but it's a bit much when you can't be bothered to find out! There's 100meg of manuals for this aircraft to come, according to the forum. Until then, why not post in the correct place for advice and guidance? There are already several useful threads - one in particular on how to get the APU started.Allcott

Hello again,A little more of my feelings after flying this sim for more than 10 hours:1. I still like it a lot - very complete modeling2. Support is still very pleasant and helpful3. I have been able to fly this bird and land it fine but I must admit that I use the CTRL-E startup to cut down the 30 minute startup4. I am flying the "lite" version which only omitted the "red lighting" affect at night.5. I have moved flights to smaller airports to reduce scenery load on the system. I have a rather powerful system and it still cannot support this sim at complex scenery airports like EDDF.(AMD 64 3500+ 0ne gig of RAM and two NVIDIA 6800 using SLI)I also run two other computers on a network for weather and panel support but, with this VC, I don't need any remote panel displays.There is one observation that I have that I hope is understandable: The modeling is so complex that my system is overtaxed at my "complete" scenery airports such as EDDF and EHAM. The system is brought to a crawl until I clear the airport by a reasonable distance. I believe that this is caused by the developers attempt to provide such a complete system that it is "over simulated" Since I am not a designer or developer of panels I do not have a clue other than my observations.One last comment - I own almost every high end sim for my FS9 but I have never seen a VC like this one - the gauges are so clear and smooth that I do not use the 2D at all. It is better than my ATR-500. My hope is that the developers get enough support to redefine the complexity issues and issue a system that will run at a lower system demand level.Thanks for the opportunity to comment and cheers,Ron SagelNEAR KCHS

Guest mikealpha

Ron,>> The modeling is so complex that my system is overtaxed at my "complete" scenery airports such as EDDF and EHAM>> My hope is that the developers get enough support to redefine the complexity issues I assume, with complete airports you mean e.g. Aerosoft EDDF ? If so, I have the same issue, but not only with the Yak-40.I think the problem appears, if some developers use all the fps and memory resources only for 'their' Addon. But that stands for both aircraft and scenery developers.The Yak-40 runs well with the default EDDF or EHAM. Aerosoft EDDF runs well with the default aircraft. If you combine both, it's too much. At least for me, Aerosoft EDDF is too much for any complex VC Aircraft Addon.So I think also some scenery developers should redefine complexity. Aerosoft EDDF for example doesn't react at all on scenery complexity settings. Easy chance missed to tone it down a bit.However, I agree with your comments. For me that little Airliner has the best VC ever made. And such a great flight feeling is really rare in FS.Mike

Could some of you guys post some screenies in the SS forum?Been checking the ones out at the site but some new pics are always welcome. :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Sorry to bring this up again - I'm thinking of buying this aircraft but can't seem to get the web-site to work. Any advice from anyone please?Thanks!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

>Hello Gavin>>You can get it on http://simmarket.com>>With best regards>>Tercio SampaioTercioThank you! Do you recommend it?Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)