Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

The new 8 - what is different from the 4 ?

For those that have both,,,how much is different and what is the major differences from the 4?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 minute ago, warbirds said:

For those that have both,,,how much is different and what is the major differences from the 4?

This pretty much explains it all:

Alex Pugh

Thanks,,I am hoping to find out from actual users here what they think. I have the 4 and thinking about the 8 and would like to know if the differences are worth the bucks.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The -8 is a mix of the -400 and B777.

The -8 is FBW and even though the cockpit looks like the -400 there are differences.
Some of the biggest is ECL and the airport map with taxiways ect. on the ND.

The -8 is still new and currently I am only on my 2nd flight with the -8 so there is still a few things to get used to and to learn.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Thanks, how are you liking the new rain effects?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Only had it for a short periode when I departed Luxembourg, but as I remembered it looks good.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Probably my favourite difference is the MTOW increase. Load up the airplane to MTOW and try a flaps 10 takeoff, don't forget to do your takeoff calcs in the EFB. V2 ends up being a whisker shy of 200kts, and the takeoff roll feels like it goes on forever!

• Like 1

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Ditto what Mark says... this bird is a born long haul hauler,  it is surprising how much fuel and payload combined she can carry and PMDG selected the 990,000 lb MGW variant in the -8F.  But what I like the most about this plane is how nice she is to fly... I love hand flying her.  The controls are perfectly harmonized, she is predictable and graceful.  More so than the -400 and is the best handling of all the PMDG heavies.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks,,,looking at the video I think the ELC is the most interesting change for me. I wonder if the 4 will get one as well some day.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 minute ago, warbirds said:

Thanks,,,looking at the video I think the ELC is the most interesting change for me. I wonder if the 4 will get one as well some day.

I wouldn't expect that simply based on how the ECL is integrated with the electronics and non-normal items.  It's a lot more than just a checklist reader.  The most interesting change for me was the size of the 2 & 3 Main tanks, there are huge owing to the thicker wing and it is pretty rare to have a mission that actually puts fuel in the CWT.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm begging to fall in love with her...I thought there may be too much automation for my taste. But as I am learning her, she seems the perfect balance of automation. The ECL and EFB are icing on the cake. And she's a great hand flyer too. I don't think I'll give up the 400 ever, but the Dash 8 is really starting to grow on me...

I noticed a deterioration in the texture quality around the side window sills.

On the -8 they’ve used a newer less quality texture compared to the 400. 

This really looked great in the 400 and helped with the immersion when using VR. Kinda spoils it for me. 

Otherwise the -8 is a welcomed addition to my ramp.

IM

Edited by Iceman2

15 hours ago, PLund said:

The -8 is FBW and even though the cockpit looks like the -400 there are differences.

The -8 has FBW spoilers and outboard ailerons. You will not notice it in the sim unless you look very hard. It isn’t full FBW like the 777 or 787.

ki9cAAb.jpg

15 hours ago, downscc said:

Ditto what Mark says... this bird is a born long haul hauler,  it is surprising how much fuel and payload combined she can carry and PMDG selected the 990,000 lb MGW variant in the -8F.  But what I like the most about this plane is how nice she is to fly... I love hand flying her.  The controls are perfectly harmonized, she is predictable and graceful.  More so than the -400 and is the best handling of all the PMDG heavies.

Agreed - what I have also noticed is how much more responsive the engine are compared to the -400!   They react to throttle changes so quickly.   Quite a different feel overall to the -400

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Iceman2 said:

I noticed a deterioration in the texture quality around the side window sills.

On the -8 they’ve used a newer less quality texture compared to the 400. 

Just realised why the textures looked different and less quality, in the 400 I'm using the new window option in the FMC configuration but in the -8 I don't get an option to choose but surprising the -8 uses the old window style and textures.

IM