Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

Why Does Microsoft Know Better Than Us ? Updates Destructive

So MS in their majestic wisdom insist on downloading soundcard drivers, graphics drivers AND even drivers for my Saitek controllers.... even though I do not want any of them... for good reason.

I am literally at the end of my tether. They are sucking the life from my very soul.

What the heck is wrong with those people ?

Do they have the IQ of a gnat ?

- I do NOT want new GeForce drivers.

- I do NOT want Realtek drivers, ad they cause issues with my Soundblaster.

- I do NOT want the Saitek drivers as I use other programs to assign functions.

They install all this crud, I uninstall, and they reinstall it again.

I am absolutely sick of those (insert really abusive insult here).

They must really hate gamers using PCs don't they... ? It wouldn't surprise me if this is what it was all about. Last week, I couldn't even download a demo of THEIR OWN games, as an update had broken the store...!!! You really could not make it up.

I have tried using O and O shut up windows, but they have somehow found a way around it, and once a week, a portal opens and down come the updated drivers.

The only other option as I see it, is to update to 'Win 10 Pro'  which allows many updates to be delayed - other than security updates - for up to 12 months. Only have to worry about it once a year then,  instead of every few days.

Yes, I'm a drama queen, but it takes months to get stuff setup, and they can destroy it all in the space of minutes. It feels as though someone has come into your house and rearranged your furniture... I feel violated every time they do this.

I need to lie down in a dark room. Oh Windows 7, I miss you.

Vent over.

Edited by Gabe777
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I am thinking of taking my computer to the shop and having them clean my disk and install Windows 7.  I have a hate-hate relationship with Windows 10 for the same reasons you describe.  

The only thing stopping me is the daunting task of having to reinstall all my simulators all over again.

When I talk to the guy at the computer shop about dong tis for me he says, "Microsoft is going to quit supporting Windows 7 next year."  Well, that's the point isn't it?

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

LOL

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 minutes ago, BBoyJD10 said:

I've never had an issue.... its shocking how some people can have so many problems 😕

+1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Windows 10 since day 1 here, take updates every week automatically. No problems ever with Windows updates and P3Dv3, P3Dv4, XPlane, DCS or FSX-SE.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BTW you can turn off updates.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The Saitek drivers are a major annoyance. I have an old X-45 because I've yet to find a better all-around stick to replace it with, but the Saitek drivers don't work under Windows 10. I can get around it by using a generic driver, but Windows keeps futzing with it every few weeks, and then I have to fool around with killing the drivers that shouldn't be there in the first place and re-installing the ones that work. 

Between that and all the other dumb things Win10 tends to do... Well, P3d is supposed to be for learning stuff about aviation, but I find myself almost as frequently learning stuff about fixing Windows' foul ups. 😉

I am very time limited due to all of the development work I do, so when I can finally set aside maybe an hour or two for "play time" it almost never fails that when I start up the sim computer, Windows 10 decides that it's a dandy time to download and install a bunch of stupid updates...

...and seems to delight in taking so long that by the time it's done my "play time" has expired. :marah:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

O&O Software have a utility called, "ShutUp10" free for personal use.

Among other things, it can enable you to prevent driver updates.

Clayton

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes. Windows 10 is a scourge. It will only get worse.

I am going to get the Pro license and minimise any unnecessary updates.

People that say you can switch off updates are incorrect to a degree... they can only be postponed.

Many issues were been created by 1709 and 1803. Some are lucky. All installs are different.

I just loved how with earlier versions of Windows, you could just 'freeze' your PC like a console. Everything worked, and nothing threatened to break it. Image it, and even catastrophe can be managed.

And, unfortunately, with Kaby Lake I cannot simply go back to Win 7. It is not supported.

I don't really care about my other PCs and laptops, but my P3D install, is 325 GB, without any photoscenery. It is a finally tuned complex entity. It is like a giant, very expensive, Jenga puzzle. Watch Microsoft topple it over... again !

LM update stuff, Microsoft update stuff, and the devs play catch up... or some just give up as they cannot keep up with the constant changes.

It will become a nightmare eventually. Ever moving goalposts is not what we need. Stability is key.

And of course, look at FSUIPC... this stops working sometimes after LM or MS updates. Has anyone considered what happens if Peter gives up... or..... worse (like getting abducted by aliens !)

What would we do without FSUIPC.... can anyone, or would anyone take over ?

Just a thought. Stability is key. LM and MS together, is far from that.

Edited by Gabe777

2 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Peter gives up... or..... worse (like getting abducted by aliens !

If Pete gets abducted by aliens that'll be the day I stop simming.😮

It`s not all down to Microsoft hardware manufactures will not update drivers for W10 on older hardware they want you to by new they got that idea from apple.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Support for Windows 7 is going to end early 2020, so you have some time before that if you decide to go win Win7...

2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

And, unfortunately, with Kaby Lake I cannot simply go back to Win 7. It is not supported.

Granted, this is from a year ago but still worth a gander...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mFI9spp10

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.