Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

Why Does Microsoft Know Better Than Us ? Updates Destructive

Permanently disable updates :

How do I permanently turn off Windows 10 update?
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
  1. Click Computer Configuration.
  2. Click Policies.
  3. Click Administrative Templates.
  4. Click Windows Components.
  5. Click Windows Update.
  6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
  7. Click Enable.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Afterburner said:

Support for Windows 7 is going to end early 2020, so you have some time before that if you decide to go win Win7...

It will still work just fine after that, as a matter of fact every software they ever wrote still works, from MS-DOS to Windows 3.1, Windows 95 etc etc etc All still work just fine.

If you wanted to use Windows 7 until the year 3037 nothing to stop you from doing that 😄

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

People that say you can switch off updates are incorrect to a degree... they can only be postponed

I sincerely hope that there is a way around that. I do not want Windows updating my graphics drivers without my permission.....EVER. I am still using Windows 7 at the moment, but I know that I will have to "upgrade" to Windows 10 when I get a new PC (hopefully next year).

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

So MS in their majestic wisdom insist on downloading soundcard drivers, graphics drivers AND even drivers for my Saitek controllers.... even though I do not want any of them... for good reason.

I am literally at the end of my tether. They are sucking the life from my very soul.

What the heck is wrong with those people ?

Do they have the IQ of a gnat ?

- I do NOT want new GeForce drivers.

- I do NOT want Realtek drivers, ad they cause issues with my Soundblaster.

- I do NOT want the Saitek drivers as I use other programs to assign functions.

They install all this crud, I uninstall, and they reinstall it again.

I am absolutely sick of those (insert really abusive insult here).

Been waiting ages for somebody to speak out on this after MS's Win10 screwed up a perfectly running system with their word-not-allowed Updates Updates, my foot!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Delta111 said:
o block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
  1. Click Computer Configuration.
  2. Click Policies.
  3. Click Administrative Templates.
  4. Click Windows Components.
  5. Click Windows Update.
  6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
  7. Click Enable

Tried that,they found a way to sneak back.

Just now, vc10man said:

Tried that,they found a way to sneak back

Yup.  I've tried every trick in the book to turn off windows updates.  But sure enough, after a few weeks  i have another Microsoft  gun at my head saying updates have been installed and Windows will reboot - like it or not.    Drives me insane.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

It will still work just fine after that, as a matter of fact every software they ever wrote still works, from MS-DOS to Windows 3.1, Windows 95 etc etc etc All still work just fine.

If you wanted to use Windows 7 until the year 3037 nothing to stop you from doing that 😄

Glad you said that,Matthew. Exactly same views. I know of people still using Windows XP, and they have no problems.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bills511 said:

If Pete gets abducted by aliens that'll be the day I stop simming.😮

On a really serious note.... what will happen ?

Pete is basically a God, but probably isn't actually God.

Is he training anyone to take over "when he retires" ?

Am I the only person to have ever wondered about this ?

I know it's an unsavoury topic, but I've said it.

(I know little about coding, but I do know that without FSUIPC, our simming would not be as good or stable, and with constant updates from LM and MS, it appears to require tweaks from Pete regularly...... gee, I don't know.)

Edited by Gabe777

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Tried that,they found a way to sneak back.

Well I just got a Pro license and Group Policy appears to allow you to Disable auto updating. The updates are shown, but not installed.

However, it also appears that to ensure it works correctly, you must also go into updates ...and then go into advanced settings ...and then you have to use the drop down menus to delay updates all the way to 365 days. There are 2 of these that need adjusting.

Hopefully this means that no updates will automatically be installed for at least 12 months.

So what I am planning is that when major feature updates come out, once I am happy that there are no Ill effects on my games or p3d, I can THEN download them (AFTER disabling the group policy to stop the updates) and then re-enable it, for a further 12 months.

We will see if this works.... lolly lolly lol lol !

Edited by Gabe777

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I sincerely hope that there is a way around that. I do not want Windows updating my graphics drivers without my permission.....EVER. I am still using Windows 7 at the moment, but I know that I will have to "upgrade" to Windows 10 when I get a new PC (hopefully next year).

I hear you. There is nothing worse than having a perfectly running system, and an update screws it all up.

You swear.... a lot ! I needed an extra Valium (Zanex) yesterday when I had to uninstall that blessed soundcard driver for the 10th time. So I came on here to vent.... don't know why but it helps !

I really hope this Group Policy control in Pro, works..... but to be honest, I am not holding my breath. It is Microsoft after all..... who wouldn't let me buy Forza 7, as they messed up their own Store ! WT bleep ?

Seriously ?

What is their problem ? No competition.... simple.

GPUs and CPUs get better all the time. Flightsim addons do to. Why ? Competition.

Windows has none really. Not many people use MACs or Linux for gaming, as it is too restrictive on many levels. I mean, I bet 95% of simmers use Windows, for many reasons.

Bottom line is that with P3D and Windows constantly evolving, we are in a situation of constant flux and uncertainty. P3D adapts to Windows changes, addon devs adapt to both, and so on.

The fun will never stop... unfortunately.

Edited by Gabe777

I've only ever had one (very minor) issue with a Windows 10 update. I am always surprised when I hear of people having problems.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

7 minutes ago, nealmac said:

I've only ever had one (very minor) issue with a Windows 10 update. I am always surprised when I hear of people having problems.

Not so much about problems as it is about having control over your own PC.  I've also never really had problems, but i still don't like the imposition of something I don't want.

5 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Not so much about problems as it is about having control over your own PC.  I've also never really had problems, but i still don't like the imposition of something I don't want.

But you can disable updates.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Just now, nealmac said:

But you can disable updates.

Whatever you do to disable them doesn't seem to be a permanent solution.  Somehow, updates eventually still happen.  I've tried every disabling regime there is.  

Oh. ok, fair enough. I didn't know that.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough