Sign in to follow this  
sacwarrior

747-8 let down

Oh where shall I begin.....   engine shutters on the ground and aircraft is in cold and dark state.. hmmm       TCAS switch is turned on however I get a eicas message the TCAS is off.   No moving airport map, no data link, and where do I come up with a flight plan?  I don't see the new OC yet. Hate to say it but so far I feel like I just bought a degraded -400.  

name is Christopher Cook but i'm sure i'll get drilled on how to sign my name on this forum.  

The Manuals are included in the product folder inside the PMDG folder in your main FSX/P3D directory.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

You are more likely to get drilled for doing absolutely no preparation to fly a new aircraft. This isn’t a C172 conversion.  All the items you have mentioned operate  differently on the 748. Start with Kyle’s video referenced by RSR in the pinned topics 

Also. Manuals 

• Like 3

haha  the manual will stop the engines from swinging like leaves on a tree??  and my other non functioning items?  or my flight plan building? 

2 minutes ago, sacwarrior said:

haha  the manual will stop the engines from swinging like leaves on a tree??  and my other non functioning items?  or my flight plan building? 

Follow the advice given 

It'll certainly help with the 'non-functioning items', which I can assure you all work if you know what you're doing, hence the suggestion you read the manuals.

Flightplan building is not really any different to the -400.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

All of the items listed are functioning items that you've failed to setup properly (aside from the shaking engines).

TCAS - check again the markings on the switch. If you just turn all the way to the right like on the -400 it won't work, the switch is laid out differently
Airport map - have you scanned scenery via EFB, and then initialised your flight plan (you need origin and destination airports for those airports to load on the ND)
Data link - have you followed Kyle's video guide? 
Flight plan - same as before, or use the more "realistic" implementation via the data link as per the video.

Edited by squerble
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, sacwarrior said:

Oh where shall I begin.....   engine shutters on the ground and aircraft is in cold and dark state.. hmmm       TCAS switch is turned on however I get a eicas message the TCAS is off.   No moving airport map, no data link, and where do I come up with a flight plan?  I don't see the new OC yet. Hate to say it but so far I feel like I just bought a degraded -400.  

name is Christopher Cook but i'm sure i'll get drilled on how to sign my name on this forum.  

If you bothered to actually look at the TCAS switch instead of complaining, you would notice you are in the wrong mode. DO NOT rotate the switch all the way to the right, like you did in the -400.

On the -400 the last setting is TA/RA. Look closely at the -8 transponder panel and you'll notice that the last setting is not a TCAS mode. Hence your EICAS caution...

You have to press the ARPT switch on the EFIS panel to show the moving map. Don't forget to zoom in sufficiently with the ND range selector.

Check the knowledgebase article for the DATA LINK set-up.

Not sure how you not having a flightplan has anything to do with the -8 or -400 ???

Every issue you listed above is one you can resolve by following the manuals and tutorials provided to you, or by asking for help!

Edited by calzonister
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Issues here as well.  I cant find the ignition key to start the engines.  How did PMDG and the beta testers miss that obvious bug??   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

6 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Issues here as well.  I cant find the ignition key to start the engines.  How did PMDG and the beta testers miss that obvious bug??   

lol forget it... I've misread your post ^^

Edited by Ephedrin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

To be honest Matt, there was so much champagne on the PMDG Beta Testers Yacht I couldn't tell whether we were partying in Aruba or the Bahamas half the time, let alone what 747 I was testing. 😉 

• Like 5

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

23 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

It's the new keyless entry option. As long as you have the fob in your pocket just put your foot on the brake and push the start button.

• Like 4

Vic green

27 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

When you  purchase the 747-8 Expansion, you will get the ignition key in the mail.  Check your spam folder.  It may be in there.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, markadeane said:

To be honest Matt, there was so much champagne on the PMDG Beta Testers Yacht I couldn't tell whether we were partying in Aruba or the Bahamas half the time, let alone what 747 I was testing. 😉 

Sounds like u guys were beta testing the yacht instead of the 747.  That would explain why I crash into the water a lot.  

Matt Wilson

No moving map on EFB but you got one on MFD.

And the rest is in the manuals.