Sign in to follow this  
coloradofly

Help getting started p3dv4.3 noobie

I am struggling where to start here with p3dv4.3.....1. should I start with the ftx orbx global base? If not suggestions? 2. What is the best airplane pay ware for the price. I’m into either the 737 series or the a320-a321 3.ultimate traffic live? Thoughts on the product. Thank you!

My suggestion would be start watching live streams of flight simmers on Twitch to get an idea of what addons you might like.

The first I would recommend is Chewwy94.  He streams five days a week, and he maintains a Google Doc with links to all of the addons he uses.

Alan

Yes, the global from Orbx can be a good start, about the 737, dunno, I'm with the 777 330ER (Quality Wings) and the 787 (PMDG), both pretty good.

• Like 1

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

5 hours ago, coloradofly said:

I am struggling where to start here with p3dv4.3.....1. should I start with the ftx orbx global base? If not suggestions? 2. What is the best airplane pay ware for the price. I’m into either the 737 series or the a320-a321 3.ultimate traffic live? Thoughts on the product. Thank you!

This my base that I can’t fly without.

FTX global, FTX landclass, Active sky, Envshade, ASCA, and UT live.  Download FTX freeware airport package and buy PMDG NGX along with FS2crew.  This will give u a very nice package to start.

Matt Wilson

Duplicate post

Edited by mpw8679
Duplicate post

Matt Wilson

10 minutes ago, Julia said:

Yes, the global from Orbx can be a good start, about the 737, dunno, I'm with the 777 330ER (PMDG) and the 787 (QualityWings), both pretty good.

Fixed it for u.

Matt Wilson

Alright so here is my shortlist of things to get for P3D V4.  

1. Active sky  - This provide real-time accurate weather/ clouds into your game.  You can also get Active Sky Cloud Art if you want to make them look different.

2. PMDG - Arguably the best aircraft producers in the sim world.  They have tons of planes and, while expensive, are extremely worth the purchase.  

3. Majestic Dash-8 Q400 - PMDG level simulation of the Bombardier Dash-8 Q400.  Sounds great, looks great, and is a ton of fun to fly.  (First add-on I bought for flight sim).  The plane has a pilot and a pro version.  The pro version has a few more bells and whistles, and wont cost more than regular if you upgrade from pilot.  ($60 + $30)

4. ORBX - Really spruces up the world.  The Stock world is so boring and bland.  This really adds some variation, while also repairing some glitches around the place.  I recommend getting Base and vector to start, and eventually getting the rest as you wish.  ]

5. A2A - If you love GA (General Aviation) aircraft, then head over to A2A.  They make arguably the best GA aircraft available.

6. PTA - Fixes a ton of colors in game.

Message me if you have any specific questions.

-Andrew

sig_ProudSupporter.jpgCPilot.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew Urbanczyk said:

6. PTA - Fixes a ton of colors in game.

Go for TomatoShade. It does the same (and more) and is for free

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

9 hours ago, coloradofly said:

Orbx is pretty much a must. You'll need global base first amd then pick up the regions you like to fly in. Orbx vector will massively improve your coastlines and more.

All that orbx stuff will seem pricey but they often have sales with 50% off etc.

As for aircraft For the 737 go PMDG. The majestic Dash is also a lot of fun as is the TFDI 717.

As far as Airbus goes I have the flightsim labs A320. It's extremely pricey however so you might want to look at Aerosofts offering which although i haven't tried on P3D I had it for FSX and it was reasonable enough.

Weather wise i run active sky for the weather engine which you will probably get a unanimous agreement on that it is a must.

For clouds i use skyforce 3D from REX.

Ultimate traffic live does a good job of bringing a bit of life to those empty looking airports as well.

Edited by Matthew James de Bohun
Typo

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

If you like the 737, you've got a few choices, that is if you include the 200 series as well as the NGs, since both Milviz and Captain sim make a 200 variant 737 add-on and both iFly and PMDG make NG variants, but since you asked about what is the best payware airliner for the price out of those 737s, then I'd have to say that is definitely the iFly 737.

As simulations of the 737 NG, both the PMDG and the iFly 737s each have some merits, and both have some features which beat one another in a number of different aspects, but overall, they're both very good simulations of the real aeroplane. However, for the money, the iFly 737 edges it by quite a large margin, because you get pretty much every NG variant there is all thrown in for one price, so that's eight aircraft: the 600, 700, 800, 900, 900ER, BBJ1, BBJ2, BBJ3, all for 79.99 US Dollars. This trumps the PMDG by quite some way since the PMDG includes just two aircraft variants, the 800 and 900, in its base package, for 89.99 US Dollars, with an additional payware expansion which includes two further variants, the 600 and 700, for an additional 24.99 US Dollars, so that adds up to a grand total of 114.98 for four variants, as opposed to eight variants in the iFly package, and for $34.99 less too.

Oddly enough however, when it comes to the 747-400 (which again both PMDG and iFly make versions of), then it's the other way around, i.e. they're both good simulations of the 747-400, but you get far more variants in the PMDG package than you do in the iFly one, so it's the PMDG one which is far better value.

And yes in case anyone was wondering, I do have both the iFly and the PMDG 747-400 and both the iFly and PMDG 737 NGs too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm gonna recommend you stay with the base sim for awhile. You can very easily get into spending hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars on addons for this thing. You want to figure out what you're interested in before you start shelling out the big bucks.

Fly the default planes. Decide what you like. Then start investigating payware in that vein. I figured out I like private jets and airliners, so all of my payware planes are in that category. Under FSX I hadn't figured out what I was interested in from a payware perspective, so I ended up with a bunch of planes I rarely used - money wasted.

Once you start spending money, start with the quality-of life improvements. Better weather (ActiveSky), better scenery (Orbx), will probably be your priority. Then* get the expensive payware airplanes.

It's a good idea to do a ramp-up approach anyway, because 2 months from now you might discover you aren't really interested in flight simulation after all, and then you can spend that money on something else. 😉

If you think that you are interested in flying larger airliners, I would recommend the PMDG 737NGX and also Cpt.Mike Ray's Flying the Boeing 700 series Flight Simulator

This is a great combination because the NGX has been out for so long that you won't run into any "bugs" or anomalies with it. It flies beautifully every time.  Captain Mike Ray is a retired United Airlines pilot that is type-rated for and has captained the Boeing 737NG and 747-400 and has written many books in a wonderfully enjoyable style that is humorous, packed with easy to understand information, and will get you in the air flying close to like a real airline pilot very quickly...and really that's what's fun.

The NGX is also great because there is a ton of YouTube tutorials that have been made for it since it has been out for so long.  There is also lots of free manuals available. Smart Cockpit Boeing 737NG

I would just start out with the NGX as your one payware large aircraft and maybe one GA aircraft like the A2A Cessna 172. That should give you enough ammunition to get you totally addicted. 😁

• Like 1