Sign in to follow this  
NickFlightX

CAUTION: Selecting the LOC27 at KSAN will break the -8

This is a bug that myself and a few others were testing out for 4 hours to find out what the problem was.

It started with one of us trying to do a flight into KSAN and his plane bricked after departure about 2000ft in the air. (Brick means the gauges were refreshing at about 1FPS and the plane was uncontrollable, very little to no feedback from manual flight control inputs. When there was flight control input, it was also refreshing about once every second or so, was uncontrollable.)

So we started testing. The original route was KSLC to KSAN as a UPS flight. So we first testing turning off the SLC scenery, that did not help. We then tried switching liveries, did not help, we tried in the pax variant, didnt help. We finally decided to try out going from SLC to a different airport, we tried MSP. The aircraft did not brick. We then tried a route from DEN to SAN and it did brick. So then we tried out JFK - SAN and it did as well brick. So then the idea came to one of us to try selecting a different approach into SAN as what do you know, it did not brick. So after going through all the approaches into SAN, we came to the conclusion that the LOC for RWY27 at SAN was causing the plane to brick right after departure. We also tested having a different approach selecting at first at SAN and then switching it to the LOC27. The second we hit the execute button, the airplane bricked.

So after 4 hours of testing, we found the 747-8, pax or freight variant, will brick right after takeoff when LOC27 is selected at SAN, does not seem to matter what airport you depart from. We also confirmed it on multiple systems, which had different hardware, different set ups, different addons, etc. We also testing the 747-400 and we found it was not affected by this bug.

We had heard also this happened to someone going into EDDF, so we tested that airport as well and tried out all the different approaches, but we did not get the aircraft to brick. It could be something different than an approach at EDDF for this to happen. So please be careful when flying the -8 as this bug is out there.

If anyone from the PMDG team has more question, please feel free to contact me.

Nick Hesler

Same here! Happy to hear it is reproducible! Thanks for investigating this issue NickFlightX! 

Hope PMDG will fix it. Did you submit a ticket?

Oliver

9 hours ago, NickFlightX said:

If anyone from the PMDG team has more question, please feel free to contact me.

Chris has noted that we're already tracking this, but just as something I'd ask in the future:

Any time you're sure you've found something, please just send it directly to support. We do browse the forum (particularly after product releases) to be sure things are okay, and people are getting the help they need (and occasionally pointed to support where necessary), but there's zero tracking for things here, so in the craziness of trying to get to everyone, a post like this could very easily get passed over.

Instead of "hey PMDG, reach out to me if you need anything" shouted in a public square, hoping one of us hears it (sees it), it's a lot better to reach out to us directly, as you're literally guaranteed to get a response from us, and the information is specifically tracked.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Of course, you're welcome to follow up a ticket with a post here so that others know you've submitted a ticket, and/or can discuss the issue, or be made aware of it. Not trying to brush bugs under the proverbial rug. All the same, this is user-to-user support, has no tracking, and isn't guaranteed attention from us, unlike the support channel, and a bug like this is important for us to know about.

Edited by scandinavian13
  • Like 2

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, I did submit a ticket with this information and have gotten a reply. I mainly posted it on here so people, for now, can avoid using this approach if in case they were going into SAN.

I also added the part that you guys are welcome to contact me in case one of the devs on the forum had a question who didn't have access to the ticket system. That sorta thing. 

Hope it can be fixed!

Nick Hesler