Sign in to follow this  
goggi

NGX missing commands and corrections

Hello,
back home after a 3-month absence. Got MCE v 2.7.72: the new commands set for the PMDG 737NGX is a major improvement. Thanks!
After re-testing the whole cockpit in every detail (to make sure, I even re-installed my NGX), there are still some (last) commands missing and a few mistakes/issues which require your help:

1- “Test Flight Data Recorder”: the switch guard now flips, but the reply is “Performing VOICE Recorder test”

2-Mach Airspeed Warning (or just Airspeed warning): No reply/No action

3-Center Fuel Pumps: it would nice to have a common command such as “All center fuel pumps On/Off”

4- Utility bus: command flips the wrong switch (the IFE Passenger seats). The correct switch is at its left

5- Retractable Landing Lights: they are a 3-state switch (In & Off/ Out/ On). Commands should operate them independently of the Fixed Landing Lights (in most SOPs at T/O and LND clearances). The perfect solution would require adding two separate commands: “Fixed landing lights On/Off”, plus a “Retractable landing lights On/Off (their 3rd state, after extension)

6- Wheel Well Light: Reply (and action !): “Performing Fire Test”

7- EFIS CTR button: No reply/NO action

8- Bank Angle Limit works, but only clockwise. No CCW action

9- F/O MCP and EFIS: no commands. It would be useful to control at least the Course setting (MCP) and the 7 EFIS buttons (they are in the F/O area after al!) for dual A/P CAT III landings. Something like “Set Course(or EFIS) your side ….”

10- Command “Set Altimeter to Standard” has a toggle action. It would be better to add a “Set Altimeter to QNH” for proper use (i.e. during climb and descent, respectively)

11- Engaging VORLOC gets correct replies (“LOC hold engaged, LOC captured”) but NO real action, NO button light on MCP and NO FMA annunciator. In flight, it turns out to be NOT active (no capture).   (Note: Engaging VORLOC manually works OK. Also, the APP function works OK (both LOC and G/P))

12- The bar below the A/Ps to engage/disengage both A/Ps is not operational. Used after landing

13- “Test Master Lights Switch” works but terminates after a few seconds, a bit too short for checking ALL cockpit lights. Please lengthen duration (x 2-3)

14- The” Transition Level” announcement is not made on climb, only on descent. Also, it is issued when passing 10,000’ (wrong, it should be at Transition).
The transition values can be read from the FMC, on the PERF INIT page (on climb) and on the DES-FORECAST page (on descent).

15- Used fuel: commands such as “display used fuel” have NO action

We are now almost done with qualifying our F/O to a perfect level ! Thank you so much for making MCE+NGX a really superb match,
Giorgio

PS: please notify verbiage of new commands added, thanks!

Giorgio Goggi

I am on FSX-SE, in my case the "Passing Transition level" announcement is made as soon as the  plane start the descent (PMDG 737)

Regards, Roberto

11 hours ago, goggi said:

Hello,
back home after a 3-month absence. Got MCE v 2.7.72: the new commands set for the PMDG 737NGX is a major improvement. Thanks!
After re-testing the whole cockpit in every detail (to make sure, I even re-installed my NGX), there are still some (last) commands missing and a few mistakes/issues which require your help:

1- “Test Flight Data Recorder”: the switch guard now flips, but the reply is “Performing VOICE Recorder test”

OK, will correct the wording

2-Mach Airspeed Warning (or just Airspeed warning): No reply/No action

All requests for tests start with either "check", "test", or "verify". Try "check overspeed warning". Will add the other variations to the grammar this week.

3-Center Fuel Pumps: it would nice to have a common command such as “All center fuel pumps On/Off”

OK, will do

4- Utility bus: command flips the wrong switch (the IFE Passenger seats). The correct switch is at its left

Will be checked

5- Retractable Landing Lights: they are a 3-state switch (In & Off/ Out/ On). Commands should operate them independently of the Fixed Landing Lights (in most SOPs at T/O and LND clearances). The perfect solution would require adding two separate commands: “Fixed landing lights On/Off”, plus a “Retractable landing lights On/Off (their 3rd state, after extension).

Try commands "extend landing lights", "retract landing lights". Could also use your custom commands by aliasing (tying them) them to the built-in ones

6- Wheel Well Light: Reply (and action !): “Performing Fire Test”

7- EFIS CTR button: No reply/NO action

8- Bank Angle Limit works, but only clockwise. No CCW action

Will double-check. It's working as expected in FSX.

9- F/O MCP and EFIS: no commands. It would be useful to control at least the Course setting (MCP) and the 7 EFIS buttons (they are in the F/O area after al!) for dual A/P CAT III landings. Something like “Set Course(or EFIS) your side ….”

You can set FD2 and VOR freq and course on FO side.

"nav two course two twenty five"

"vor two track one one seven"

"nav two frequency one sixteen decimal six"

nav two one one two point five"

If you can use Voxkey to flip the "WPT, APT, etc" might be easier for us, as not all supported airplanes have FO side fully working, that's why we never bothered with that side.

10- Command “Set Altimeter to Standard” has a toggle action. It would be better to add a “Set Altimeter to QNH” for proper use (i.e. during climb and descent, respectively).

Fo automatically switches to QNH mode when you ask him to dial a value. But can actually add the command.

11- Engaging VORLOC gets correct replies (“LOC hold engaged, LOC captured”) but NO real action, NO button light on MCP and NO FMA annunciator. In flight, it turns out to be NOT active (no capture).   (Note: Engaging VORLOC manually works OK. Also, the APP function works OK (both LOC and G/P))

12- The bar below the A/Ps to engage/disengage both A/Ps is not operational. Used after landing

13- “Test Master Lights Switch” works but terminates after a few seconds, a bit too short for checking ALL cockpit lights. Please lengthen duration (x 2-3)

OK, wilco

14- The” Transition Level” announcement is not made on climb, only on descent. Also, it is issued when passing 10,000’ (wrong, it should be at Transition).
The transition values can be read from the FMC, on the PERF INIT page (on climb) and on the DES-FORECAST page (on descent).

Implemented exactly as per real world operation.

When climbing, you're on QNH, therefore would want to know at which altitude you switch to STD. When descending, being on STD, you'd want to know at which FL to switch to QNH.

If the calls aren't made within 500 feet of the target altitude /FL, it could be that MCE isn't getting data from the sim as expected. Just a reminder, when Windows UAC is enabled (and we don't recommend disabling it), you must install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\… folder and set "Prepar3D.exe" to run as admin. If using a launcher app to start P3D, that one must be set to run as admin too.

15- Used fuel: commands such as “display used fuel” have NO action

Please explain what you'd want Fo to do following that command.

We are now almost done with qualifying our F/O to a perfect level ! Thank you so much for making MCE+NGX a really superb match,

You're welcome. And thank you for feedback and for reporting these overlooked items.

Giorgio

PS: please notify verbiage of new commands added, thanks!

Welcome back.

Answers embedded above.

Could you confirm "mcpmd73X.dll" file version in \Prepar3D v4\MCE dlls\ folder?

Dear Gerald,
Thank you for your fast reply.
Here a few brief clarifications (forgive my imperfect English) on a few points from my previous message/list, before you get to work:

2-  Command “check overspeed warning” works fine. Forget my point #2 and thanks for pointing it out

5- Sorry, I had not realized that the retractable landing lights already have 3 states, which work OK.
The only command now needed would be “fixed landing lights on/off”  (they are operated separately from the retractable ones) 

9- EFIS buttons row on F/O side (Course and frequency commands are OK): Voxkey cannot be used, no access is offered in the FMC/Setup options for controlling these buttons. Same for the Captain side !
Nice to have them all accessible via commands, but not so urgent. If you are too busy at the moment, skip this item for later …

14- Your statement about Transition (ALT or LVL) is absolutely correct. In my tests, however, the F/O call happened as described in my previous message (point #14), i.e. when descending through 10,000’. In the US the TL is everywhere the same at FL180, whereas in Europe, for instance, it varies from airport to airport (in some cases as low as 3000’ !). I suggest to make sure that the value(s) are read from the FMC and used by the F/O correctly, or to abandon the issue and remove the call altogether.
(Note: in my setup both P3D and MCE are always installed in their respective default folders, and are operated as Administrator)

15- Used fuel: the fuel counters switch has 3 states: Rate (central, at rest), Reset (up, temporary) and Used (down, temporary). Currently, the “Reset fuel counters” command moves the switch both Up (correct) and Down (unnecessary). The missing command (e.g. “check/verify/display used fuel”) should just move the switch down temporarily, for checking this value against the Flight Plan.

Also, as requested I checked the mcpmd73.dll file version in P3d/MCE/dlls folder: it was “created” on May 15, 2018 at 13:06:37 and “modified” on July 4, 2018 at 22:04:58

Than you so much for a fantastic job, as usual!
Giorgio

Giorgio Goggi