Sign in to follow this  
kevinh

747-8 Differences Manual?

Kyle’s excellent differences video is a great introduction to the differences between the 744 and 748, but there is no manual us users can refer to to get a bit more detail. For example, the different fuel tank sizes, the revised fuel system logic. Kyle’s video refers to the different logic for the seat belt switch but doesn’t say what it is.

A 747-8 Differences Manual would be very helpful to users who want to understand this in detail. Is there any possibility that  PMDG might produce one?

Edited by kevinh
  • Like 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

9 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Kyle’s excellent differences video is a great introduction to the differences between the 744 and 748, but there is no manual us users can refer to to get a bit more detail. For example, the different fuel tank sizes, the revised fuel system logic. Kyle’s video refers to the different logic for the seat belt switch but doesn’t say what it is.

A 747-8 Differences Manual would be very helpful to users who want to understand this in detail. Is there any possibility that  PMDG might produce one?

Kevin,

Did you check the introduction manual for the -8 supplement? Page 172 onwards?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

2 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

Kevin,

Did you check the introduction manual for the -8 supplement? Page 172 onwards?

Hi Chris,

That was the first place I looked. It goes into detail about differences in the PMDG options and setup for the 748, the avionics changes are highlighted but there's almost nothing about how the aircraft systems have changed. On page 173 it lists what systems are different, but there's no information about how they are different. The 747-400 FCOM is no good for reference in these areas as the systems description no longer applies to the 747-8. It would be very useful for those trying to study the new if PMDG could fill in some of these gaps in systems description.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

40 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Hi Chris,

That was the first place I looked. It goes into detail about differences in the PMDG options and setup for the 748, the avionics changes are highlighted but there's almost nothing about how the aircraft systems have changed. On page 173 it lists what systems are different, but there's no information about how they are different. The 747-400 FCOM is no good for reference in these areas as the systems description no longer applies to the 747-8. It would be very useful for those trying to study the new if PMDG could fill in some of these gaps in systems description.

There systems are described on the 748 FCOM. I understand what you are saying but I think it would be difficult to have such a documentation

Chris Makris

On 9/24/2018 at 2:59 PM, Olympic260 said:

There systems are described on the 748 FCOM. I understand what you are saying but I think it would be difficult to have such a documentation

I don’t expect PMDG to provide the 748 FCOM of course. But PMDG must have data or observations that were used to design the simulation. That information could be used to write a 748 differences systems description.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

I don’t expect PMDG to provide the 748 FCOM of course.

I am not near my computer right now, but I’m pretty sure I found the 747-8 FCOM and the QRH in a folder, I believe it was “Prepar3D\PMDG\747\Documentation” or something like that.

Marc ter Heide

i found them in P3DV4/PMDG/PDG 747 QOTS II/Flight Manuals. or what ever your prepar3d folder is called.

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

I don’t expect PMDG to provide the 748 FCOM of course. But PMDG must have data or observations that were used to design the simulation. That information could be used to write a 748 differences systems description.

As Marc werote there is an FCOM and QRH inside the document folder.

Chris Makris

2 hours ago, Olympic260 said:

As Marc werote there is an FCOM and QRH inside the document folder.

I’m sorry Chris, it’s now clear we’ve been talking at cross purposes. I took your reference to it being difficult to have such documentation as being about  providing a 748 FCOM. My original question about 748 systems description must have sounded very odd to you as an FCOM was already provided, I just I wasn’t aware of it. 

I’ll look for the FCOM in that folder. Sounds like it will provide all the answers I need.

Edit:

It's great that the manuals are provided but it isn't at all clear where the 748 documentation is, or what is available. The Introduction Manual does mention the EFB manual, but I only found where it was from this the forum. There is no mention of the 748 FCOM in the section about systems. By text search I found one reference in the section about Rain Maker, again nothing to say where it is. I had no reason to open the folder where all the 744 manuals are. I always use the Ops Center links for that. Now I see that's where the 748 FCOM and QRH are. Surely the OC should have links to all manuals that are available?

Edited by kevinh
  • Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

2 hours ago, kevinh said:

It's great that the manuals are provided but it isn't at all clear where the 748 documentation is, or what is available. The Introduction Manual does mention the EFB manual, but I only found where it was from this the forum. There is no mention of the 748 FCOM in the section about systems. By text search I found one reference in the section about Rain Maker, again nothing to say where it is. I had no reason to open the folder where all the 744 manuals are. I always use the Ops Center links for that. Now I see that's where the 748 FCOM and QRH are. Surely the OC should have links to all manuals that are available?

Hi Kevin, I think what is going on here with respect to OC links for manuals is that we are in a period of transition to the OCv2 that has been mentioned by Robert and Kyle in the forum.  I expect that as things mature one will find manuals with the EFB not with OC.

At least the documents are easy to find as in they have been in the PMDG\ <product> \Flight Manuals location on every product since I started with the FS9 NG.

Dan Downs KCRP

23 hours ago, downscc said:

Hi Kevin, I think what is going on here with respect to OC links for manuals is that we are in a period of transition to the OCv2 that has been mentioned by Robert and Kyle in the forum.  I expect that as things mature one will find manuals with the EFB not with OC.

At least the documents are easy to find as in they have been in the PMDG\ <product> \Flight Manuals location on every product since I started with the FS9 NG.

Hi Dan, that makes some sense though the EFB manual is in a different folder to the rest. There is a 747-8 page within the OCso why not put the links there when the OC detects a valid installation?

Perhaps we’ve become spoiled by having the OC as a PMDG manual organiser. I hope OCv2 is still that as well. I would hate the EFB to become the main way to access manuals. I tried reading the EFB manual in the EFB and it simply isn’t as readable. Also I mainly access manual so outside the sim.

ki9cAAb.jpg

5 minutes ago, kevinh said:

Also I mainly access manual so outside the sim.

Agree, but maybe its because I beta test that I've gotten use to not using the OC for links to manuals.  In fact, I've usually got the manual open over my household network on a different computer while P3D is running.  I have a network link to P3D to make it faster to get to stuff from anywhere.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have found that, though I used to be a B744 pilot for many years, understanding the B748 differences has been a lengthy process.

Perhaps, eventually, we shall see a document that leads us through the new steps to getting a flight planned and flown that will ease that learning process.😉

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

OC2 has removed easy access to the docs.  Odd.  I can find them in the sim folder but odd.

spacer.png

On 5/12/2020 at 12:26 AM, Boomer said:

OC2 has removed easy access to the docs.  Odd.  I can find them in the sim folder but odd.

I asked PMDG support about this and they said it was because of the problems caused by opening the pdf files from the OC. I suggested they replace document links with a link to the docs folder but no sign of that happening.

I made my own shortcuts and put them in a desktop folder.

ki9cAAb.jpg