Sign in to follow this  
Chrjs

B748 Holding problem

Hi,

i purchased th B748 yesterday and put it on trial on a flight out of KPAE to KMWH, just like the real ones do. The aircraft performs great but i noticed a little hickup. I tried to enter a hold in a 90 degree angle and that seemed to screw up the fmc/lnav. Approaching the hold the hold suddenly got bigger on the ND. The plane slowed down correctly but then overflew the holding fix and continued its path without manoevering (for the teardrop entry). I let it fly for about 20nm straight out before i manually turned it back to the entry.

Are holdings still a work in progress? If I recall correctly the older PMDG planes could do that pretty well.

Thanks

Chris

pq2kuaV.jpg

Edited by Chrjs

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

To be truthful, I didn't test holding so if you can reproduce the problem then please document on a trouble ticket.

Dan Downs KCRP

3 hours ago, Chrjs said:

Are holdings still a work in progress? If I recall correctly the older PMDG planes could do that pretty well.

I believe it is WIP.  I have seen this reported before and seen it myself in the 744, so I am fairly certain it is already documented and being looked into by PMDG. 

I did a bit of hold testing early on in beta and had no issues with the three entries when I tried it.

Could you advise your exact holding parameters and I'll attempt to replicate.

Cheers

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

18 hours ago, markadeane said:

I did a bit of hold testing early on in beta and had no issues with the three entries when I tried it.

Could you advise your exact holding parameters and I'll attempt to replicate.

Cheers

Sure. here is the flight plan out of KPAE: KPAE TOU KBFI SEA V120 EPH KMWH (after TOU i flew the jawbn6 arrival for a touch and go Rw14R)

Departure was to the north with an immediate turn towards TOU for a hold. I programmed a hold over TOU with an inbound course of 180°, right turns and 1min legs. I entered the hold on a heading of about 270° in an altitude of FL280. The aircraft slowed down to holding speed and overflew TOU, shortly before I could see the portrayed hold increasing an changing to a more circle like shape (see above). The plane didn't even bother to turn but kept going on a heading of 270° until i turned it around manually after about 15nm. Looking at the ND picture the enlarged "holding" pattern has about a radius of 40nm - of course way too much for a standard hold.

kind regards chris

Edited by Chrjs

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Thanks Chris I'll take a look at this when I next get a chance. Based on your parameters that should be a direct entry.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg