Sign in to follow this  
Alexando

Cloud shadows disappear when i zoom in on a view!

P3D V4,3 

Anyone have similar problem and has fixed i would appreciate a solution! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Alexando said:

P3D V4,3 

Anyone have similar problem and has fixed i would appreciate a solution! Thanks!

Fixed it, dont no how to delete this topic so if any admin wants to go ahead and delete it!

Cloud shadows also disappear all the time when you look around (TrackIR). There is no fix for this.

It was discussed already many times here and over at the official P3D forums. If I am not wrong, the reason behind was an attempt to reduce the system load by simply disabling shadows of clouds that are not within a specific range of your plane. While this might make sense in daytime operations when the shadows are basically straight below the clouds, it ruins the immersion in dusk or dawn times, when the sun is so low that basically also a cloud 80nm or more away should give you a shadow. Pity that such things are never discussed further in the P3D forums...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 minutes ago, AnkH said:

If I am not wrong, the reason behind was an attempt to reduce the system load by simply disabling shadows of clouds that are not within a specific range of your plane.

On my PC it has nothing to do with the range but with the angle I look at them. When I am looking straightforward I might see a cloud shadow on my left, just on the edge of the screen. When I look left (with TrackIR) that shadow might suddenly disappear.. and perhaps reappear again when I look even further left. This is just an example. But usually when I look around I can see shadows disappearing and appearing again all the time. This may even happen when looking up or down just a little! In fact, it may even happen with shadows in the cockpit! 

In short: shadows in P3D are bugged. 😉 

Rumors say that LM will add new graphic feature (PBR) in future update. Let's hope they managed to fix the old graphic bugs before adding more graphic features.

10 hours ago, J van E said:

On my PC it has nothing to do with the range but with the angle I look at them. When I am looking straightforward I might see a cloud shadow on my left, just on the edge of the screen. When I look left (with TrackIR) that shadow might suddenly disappear.. and perhaps reappear again when I look even further left. This is just an example. But usually when I look around I can see shadows disappearing and appearing again all the time. This may even happen when looking up or down just a little! In fact, it may even happen with shadows in the cockpit! 

In short: shadows in P3D are bugged. 😉 

My experience is that the app generating the clouds themselves has an influence also. The " cloud shadow disappearing bug" is more common at low sun angles on rolling terrain. The default clouds show the bug, but for me the ASCA clouds show it more often than the sim's clouds do and the REX Skyforce clouds hardly show the bug at all. YMMV.

I fixed this already, wasent able to update because it wasent upproved my moderator. Thanks for the replys anyway!

Well then it would be nice to tell us how you fixed this?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Problem was that in my lighting settings i had the shadow draw distance on low, lol i know its a newbie thing but i was confused because i did not remember changing the settings.