Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

One of the elephants in the room with P3D

46 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

No difference you say..  Funniest thing I have heard today. 

So the same add-on global textures, same sky, same water textures, same airport add-ons and same airplane add-ons, same over sized trees and houses and the same washed out look will suddenly be magically better in P3D? 

Right. 

17 hours ago, pmb said:

I am an ORBX user and in fact own all of their packages. Cost to upgrade from FSX to Prepar3d4: zero (over all incarnations FSX->P3D1->P3D2->P3D3->P3D4).

Kind regards, Michael

Why did you quote me? All I did was describe my experience. For a number of reasons I don't use ORBX, but so what? Are you trying to start an ORBX vs Photoscenery fight?

Edited by pgde

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 hour ago, Raging Bull said:

So the same add-on global textures, same sky, same water textures, same airport add-ons and same airplane add-ons, same over sized trees and houses and the same washed out look will suddenly be magically better in P3D? 

See for yourself, FSDT KLAX:

FSX

2018-9-27_3-26-31-177.jpg

P3D4

2018-9-27_3-22-52-460.jpg

The lack of casted shadows in FSX makes the scenery way more flat. In P3D everything is mode "solid", see how the lower area of the terminal is properly in shadow, how the metal grid and the light pylon casting shadows on the wall makes everything more convincing.

If there was a glass window, it would get dynamic reflections in P3D4, instead of the static environment map in FSX.

If there were clouds, they would cast shadows on ground.

Without even mentioning the jetways with their own individual number made with fast DX11 code (thanks to the Render To Texture feature of the P3D4 SDK which is not possible in FSX), instead of modeling each one individually, and the higher fps in P3D4 , even with a scenery NOT made for it so, it's exactly the same content, made for the FSX SDK. I purposely posted a somewhat old scenery, which was made for FSX and it even has an FS9 version!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Right. 

The key is the dynamic flying experience, not the screenshots, and yes, P3DV4 is magically better than FSX, which I still have installed and never fly anymore.

Wonder why :unsure:

• Like 7

Bert

8 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

o the same add-on global textures, same sky, same water textures, same airport add-ons and same airplane add-ons, same over sized trees and houses and the same washed out look will suddenly be magically better in P3D? 

It's not the base sim visuals which make the difference.

It's what you can't see that does - and the aftermarket which transforms the sim into something quite spectacular relative to FSX - for a number of reasons.  Yup, you're still stuck with the oversized autogen, 

If your argument is purely based on the stock sim, then P3DV4 is not for you anyway.

• Upvote 1

Raging Bull has a point. Yes, the shadows, lighting and special effects in P3D are significantly enhanced when compared to FSX, but the base terrain textures, autogen, and AI/ATC system are almost identical.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Raging Bull has a point. Yes, the shadows, lighting and special effects in P3D are significantly enhanced when compared to FSX, but the base terrain textures, autogen, and AI/ATC system are almost identical.

And with add-ons, all those deficiencies disappear.  It's up to you to decide which ones to use, and how much money to spend.

Yes, but we were specifically talking about the default P3D simulator compared to FSX. I wouldn't touch default scenery with a barge pole!

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

57 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Correct, but don't forget about performance and specially pop up of all that autogen. The difference between FSX and P3D is staggering in that regard. Yes, it's true, the textures and objects are the same but how they perform and show up in the sim is really totally different. If someone would do a test and fly over a default city in either sim, without telling me which, and ask me what sim I am looking at, I would see it in a second. The difference is HUGE. 

Hi Folks,

I'm with Bert...

"P3DV4 is magically better than FSX".

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

27 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

I'm with Bert...

"P3DV4 is magically better than FSX".

Regards,
Scott

+1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Yes, but we were specifically talking about the default P3D simulator compared to FSX. I wouldn't touch default scenery with a barge pole!

What about a very very very veryyyyy long piece of plastic while you wear gloves? :)

S.

19 hours ago, pgde said:

Why did you quote me? All I did was describe my experience. For a number of reasons I don't use ORBX, but so what? Are you trying to start an ORBX vs Photoscenery fight?

I am very sorry for hitting your nerve, this was not at all my intention. I just wanted to add another example for zero upgrade cost.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I am very sorry fora hitting your nerve, this was not at all my intention. I just wanted to add another example for zero upgrade cost.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for the clarification Michael!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Here is my 2 cents worth of what I do to enjoy P3d V4.3

First here are all my add-ons

ORBX - Global Base Pack
ORBX - Vector
ORBX - Open LC NA
ORBX - NA Rockies
ORBX - NA Northern California
ORBX - NA Northern Rockies
ORBX - NA NA Pacific FJORDS
ORBX - NA Pacific Northwest
ORBX - NA Southern Alaska
ORBX - SOuthern California
ORBX - most airports for the West and southwest.

I mostly fly form denver westward and northward, so I have as many pay airports as I can get. 

I also have many of the Freebies from ORBX

THen I have payware airports from Flightbeam and FSDreamteam, most of them.. I also have GSX for doing the big commercial stuff.

A few odds and ends airports like 29 palms etc. . .

I also have Active Sky & CloudArt, ENVDIR for nice clouds. I opted out of rex stuff as they treated me really bad in customer service. I have turbulent Terminal TerraFlora instead of Orbx trees. I think its much better INHMO. I have night environment California, VFXCentral for rain effects.

Now here are some must haves for me. - Addon Organizer for P3dV4 to keep the order of sceneries correct. I use it with every flight plan. Simple Airport Scanner, for finding conflicting BGL files & believe me they are there in droves.  I also use my Traffic for the AI traffic. It took me a year to tweak that thing and get to work right. Now its golden.  The latest FSUIPC, I also ProATC/X for ATC and that also took me a long time to learn it and get to work right and record and add real world Chatter for each airport. I have many airplanes including PMDG and carenado with GTN Mods  Here is atip- remove carenavigraph.dll your frame rates will go way up. I also have FS Global Ultimate for terrain North America only insalled.  Be sure you set your terrain im P3d to 1M or you will have some weird things at your airports. This all took many years of learning to setup and aquire. Not to mention how to fly all those different aircraft, but the experience is better than any other sim I have seem and is worth the effort if you love flying as I do.  Happy Travels. . . Also by the way, I am an IT person and build my own PC to handle all of this and use SSD exclusively. I hope this helps anyone. It may not be the best way to do it but it works great for me.