Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

Windows 10 .dll crashes?

Yesterday I started a thread that was pointing to .dll crashes on v4.3. Originally I was thinking it was a certain aircraft I was flying, but now I believe the CTD’s are being caused by my Windows 10 OS. So with this being said, has anyone else on here had any random CTD’s logged as a .dll crash? I did some snooping around on Prepar3D’s forum and to my surprise a few other people were reporting .dll crashes as well with this current Windows update. Thanks! 

Yup, had the same issue since late last week after update from Windows 10 and Nvidia drivers (411.63). Don't know which is causing what.

There are hundreds if not thousands of dll's in your system, specifics on which one is key.

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

28 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

There are hundreds if not thousands of dll's in your system, specifics on which one is key.

Api.dll, and Kernnelbase.dll are the main ones. There are like two or three more but I’m not at my computer right now so I don’t know off the top of my head. But yeah I was going to bring it to the attention of Prepar3D because I think it’s a Windows 10 update issue. I don’t think this latest windows build likes P3D too much 

Have you had a look at the avsim CTD guide?

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

No, I was not aware thanks I’ll give it the ol’ College try and see if it fixes anything. 

5 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

So I did run through the various checks on some of the .dll crashes I have been experiencing. Unfortunately, nothing has really worked for the issues that I have. My sim keeps crashing although I have tried the fixes. I’m afraid my crashes are bigger than I thought. Also, my computer isn’t logging any of them now, the last time it logged a crash was yesterday. I have had 5 crashes since then. And what is really frustrating is, it is intermittent. It doesn’t happen after every load screen senario.... 

6 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

Api.dll, and Kernnelbase.dll are the main ones.

The api.dll is the thingy that makes your application run.  If it crashes while using P3DV4 it means you have an add-on that is NOT compatible with P3D.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, you will see how to fix most of your crashes in P3DV4.3.  There are many modules (i.e., .dll's) that load at startup.  If your sim crashes at startup, then it is one of those modules at fault.  So it is important that you know exactly what you were doing when you received the crash.  I seriously doubt it is a Windows update or else we would be receiving more topics about their sim crashing after a Windows update and we are not.  There are no signs of issues on the Internet too. 

The kernelbase.dll is normally associated with a bad overclock.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

20 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The api.dll is the thingy that makes your application run.  If it crashes while using P3DV4 it means you have an add-on that is NOT compatible with P3D.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, you will see how to fix most of your crashes in P3DV4.3.  There are many modules (i.e., .dll's) that load at startup.  If your sim crashes at startup, then it is one of those modules at fault.  So it is important that you know exactly what you were doing when you received the crash.  I seriously doubt it is a Windows update or else we would be receiving more topics about their sim crashing after a Windows update and we are not.  There are no signs of issues on the Internet too. 

The kernelbase.dll is normally associated with a bad overclock.

Hi there Jim. I will list my add-on’s And maybe you can point to me what you think isn’t compatible with v4.3. I thought everything was but you’re right maybe I do have something not compatible. 

Rex SF (build 2018.05.20)

AS16 (build 6773)

EditVoicePackXL (build 5.5.16)

FTX Central 

Sode (build 1.6.3)

29Palms KTNP

PTA (build 2.62)

UTL (build 1.00)

VFX Central

Accu-Feel 64 bit

Carenado Citation II (version 2)

Traffic sounds for UTLive 

FS Force 2 64 bit 

AI Lights Reborn 

All of the items listed have been checked for the latest updates and I believe all are okay for v4.3 but just to make sure I’ll see if you think one of these is the hold up. Thank you for your assistance. 

Edited by Deltaair1212

18 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

All of the items listed have been checked for the latest updates and I believe all are okay for v4.3 but just to make sure I’ll see if you think one of these is the hold up. Thank you for your assistance. 

VFX Central is not compatible.  Only compatible to P3DV3.  I suppose I could do a search for each product you own and provide you with what is compatible but I certainly do not have the time.  I just pulled VFX Central out of the "hat" and saw it was not compatible.  Whether it is bringing down your P3DV4.3 is not known as some V3 add-ons do work with P3DV4.  P3Dv3 and earlier were 32-bit applications.  P3Dv4 is a 64 bit application and we are seeing a lot of incompatible add-ons bringing P3DV4 down.  Of course, it is simple to blame Lockheed Martin but it is really the add-on developers you need to be talking to.

Crashes are frustrating.  I just went through crashes and BSOD's about a month ago and it took over a month to figure what was causing it (a memory module - one out of four was bad).  The problem I had diagnosing was that the crash only occurred when using P3DV4 and it did not happen all of the time.  It is important that one investigate his own issue because it is extremely rare when a crash is fixed the same for everyone. 

For the kernelbase.dll error, page 34, provides most of the common fixes for this error.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I was having similar issues - random PC restarts producing no crash reports. These usually occurred after about 20-40 mins into a P3Dv4 session. 

I checked everything I and spent time with the CTD Guide. I finally did the sfc /scannow via cmd prompt recommendation in the guide and it found a whole load of corrupt Windows files which it repaired.

I'm happy to say since then I have had zero crashes.

Maybe this is related or not but potentially worth checking as part of your ongoing investigation.

Good luck!

Speedbird217

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

VFX Central is not compatible.  Only compatible to P3DV3.  I suppose I could do a search for each product you own and provide you with what is compatible but I certainly do not have the time.  I just pulled VFX Central out of the "hat" and saw it was not compatible.  Whether it is bringing down your P3DV4.3 is not known as some V3 add-ons do work with P3DV4.  P3Dv3 and earlier were 32-bit applications.  P3Dv4 is a 64 bit application and we are seeing a lot of incompatible add-ons bringing P3DV4 down.  Of course, it is simple to blame Lockheed Martin but it is really the add-on developers you need to be talking to.

Crashes are frustrating.  I just went through crashes and BSOD's about a month ago and it took over a month to figure what was causing it (a memory module - one out of four was bad).  The problem I had diagnosing was that the crash only occurred when using P3DV4 and it did not happen all of the time.  It is important that one investigate his own issue because it is extremely rare when a crash is fixed the same for everyone. 

For the kernelbase.dll error, page 34, provides most of the common fixes for this error.

Thanks Jim, that’s all I needed was a quick visual inspection. I would have never knows it wasn’t compatible since PercipitFX is compatible with v4. I did have a mild overclock on my i7-6700K, from 4Ghz to 4.5Ghz, and I overclocked my memory as well so I set everything back to factory. I will test my sim to see if anything crashes. I will also look for any missing files so I can get them repaired. 

• Like 1

Same here. I have diagnosed it to REX SF generally however I have seen couatl.dll and DGXI errors too. I have it running in the background and it CTDs randomly at random intervals. Nothing shows in AppCrashViewer etc. If I turn it on to refresh the weather environment and turn it off, no CTD.

It is a little better with older drivers. The 411s are worse and cause random crashes in other modules. I am using the 382s for now until this resolves.

Tried the TdrLevel fix too no joy.

Win10.

Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

UPDATE: When I got home today I mentally prepared myself to sit at my computer and not budge (except for bathroom breaks) until I sniff out the cause of my CTD. I uninstalled every add-on again, and then uninstalled P3D, and deleted all Lockheed content on my C drive and cleaned the slate. I made sure all computer settings were in a normal state, and no background apps were running in task manager. I downloaded P3Dv4.3 fresh and kept the settings the way they were after the fresh install. I did not move a slider an inch. Next I started with UTL. I did three start ups and loads with the default flight and UTL. No CTD. Next I moved on to AS16. I did three loads as well. No CTD. Afterwards was KTNP. Still no CTD after three loads. But then I installed Accu-Feelv2. The first load was fine. The SECOND load I got a CTD. Hmm. So then I uninstalled the app, and did ten (yes ten) loads without Accu-Feel. No CTD. I then enabled the app again, and did 10 more loads. No CTD. So I’m theory, my CTD was after I installed Accu-Feel. But I couldn’t replicate the issue after the first crash. I will keep testing, but I have my eye on Accu-Feel. It would make sense because the app was just made available to P3Dv4, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still working out bugs...

• Like 1

Excellent post!  You did about everything I have done to investigate a CTD except I also reset Windows10 a couple of times.  I hope your reinstallation of Accu-Feel works and resolves the problem.  Make sure you have P3D starting up in Admin Mode for ALL users.  Also, if you use Lorby_Si's Addon Manager, go the tools and check encodings of all of P3D's xml's and config's.  It is important all files are encoded properly.  This might have been the cause for the crash after Accu-Feelv2 was installed the first time.  Somehow an xml or config got corrupted.  Reinstalling fixed it.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM