Deltaair1212

Windows 10 .dll crashes?

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I started a thread that was pointing to .dll crashes on v4.3. Originally I was thinking it was a certain aircraft I was flying, but now I believe the CTD’s are being caused by my Windows 10 OS. So with this being said, has anyone else on here had any random CTD’s logged as a .dll crash? I did some snooping around on Prepar3D’s forum and to my surprise a few other people were reporting .dll crashes as well with this current Windows update. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yup, had the same issue since late last week after update from Windows 10 and Nvidia drivers (411.63). Don't know which is causing what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are hundreds if not thousands of dll's in your system, specifics on which one is key.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

There are hundreds if not thousands of dll's in your system, specifics on which one is key.

Api.dll, and Kernnelbase.dll are the main ones. There are like two or three more but I’m not at my computer right now so I don’t know off the top of my head. But yeah I was going to bring it to the attention of Prepar3D because I think it’s a Windows 10 update issue. I don’t think this latest windows build likes P3D too much 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave_YVR said:

Have you had a look at the avsim CTD guide?

No, I was not aware thanks I’ll give it the ol’ College try and see if it fixes anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

Have you had a look at the avsim CTD guide?

So I did run through the various checks on some of the .dll crashes I have been experiencing. Unfortunately, nothing has really worked for the issues that I have. My sim keeps crashing although I have tried the fixes. I’m afraid my crashes are bigger than I thought. Also, my computer isn’t logging any of them now, the last time it logged a crash was yesterday. I have had 5 crashes since then. And what is really frustrating is, it is intermittent. It doesn’t happen after every load screen senario.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

Api.dll, and Kernnelbase.dll are the main ones.

The api.dll is the thingy that makes your application run.  If it crashes while using P3DV4 it means you have an add-on that is NOT compatible with P3D.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, you will see how to fix most of your crashes in P3DV4.3.  There are many modules (i.e., .dll's) that load at startup.  If your sim crashes at startup, then it is one of those modules at fault.  So it is important that you know exactly what you were doing when you received the crash.  I seriously doubt it is a Windows update or else we would be receiving more topics about their sim crashing after a Windows update and we are not.  There are no signs of issues on the Internet too. 

The kernelbase.dll is normally associated with a bad overclock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

The api.dll is the thingy that makes your application run.  If it crashes while using P3DV4 it means you have an add-on that is NOT compatible with P3D.  In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, you will see how to fix most of your crashes in P3DV4.3.  There are many modules (i.e., .dll's) that load at startup.  If your sim crashes at startup, then it is one of those modules at fault.  So it is important that you know exactly what you were doing when you received the crash.  I seriously doubt it is a Windows update or else we would be receiving more topics about their sim crashing after a Windows update and we are not.  There are no signs of issues on the Internet too. 

The kernelbase.dll is normally associated with a bad overclock.

Hi there Jim. I will list my add-on’s And maybe you can point to me what you think isn’t compatible with v4.3. I thought everything was but you’re right maybe I do have something not compatible. 

Rex SF (build 2018.05.20)

AS16 (build 6773)

EditVoicePackXL (build 5.5.16)

FTX Central 

Sode (build 1.6.3)

29Palms KTNP

PTA (build 2.62)

UTL (build 1.00)

VFX Central

Accu-Feel 64 bit

Carenado Citation II (version 2)

Traffic sounds for UTLive 

FS Force 2 64 bit 

AI Lights Reborn 

 

All of the items listed have been checked for the latest updates and I believe all are okay for v4.3 but just to make sure I’ll see if you think one of these is the hold up. Thank you for your assistance. 

 

Edited by Deltaair1212

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Deltaair1212 said:

All of the items listed have been checked for the latest updates and I believe all are okay for v4.3 but just to make sure I’ll see if you think one of these is the hold up. Thank you for your assistance. 

VFX Central is not compatible.  Only compatible to P3DV3.  I suppose I could do a search for each product you own and provide you with what is compatible but I certainly do not have the time.  I just pulled VFX Central out of the "hat" and saw it was not compatible.  Whether it is bringing down your P3DV4.3 is not known as some V3 add-ons do work with P3DV4.  P3Dv3 and earlier were 32-bit applications.  P3Dv4 is a 64 bit application and we are seeing a lot of incompatible add-ons bringing P3DV4 down.  Of course, it is simple to blame Lockheed Martin but it is really the add-on developers you need to be talking to.

Crashes are frustrating.  I just went through crashes and BSOD's about a month ago and it took over a month to figure what was causing it (a memory module - one out of four was bad).  The problem I had diagnosing was that the crash only occurred when using P3DV4 and it did not happen all of the time.  It is important that one investigate his own issue because it is extremely rare when a crash is fixed the same for everyone. 

For the kernelbase.dll error, page 34, provides most of the common fixes for this error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having similar issues - random PC restarts producing no crash reports. These usually occurred after about 20-40 mins into a P3Dv4 session. 

I checked everything I and spent time with the CTD Guide. I finally did the sfc /scannow via cmd prompt recommendation in the guide and it found a whole load of corrupt Windows files which it repaired.

I'm happy to say since then I have had zero crashes.

Maybe this is related or not but potentially worth checking as part of your ongoing investigation.

Good luck!

Speedbird217

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

VFX Central is not compatible.  Only compatible to P3DV3.  I suppose I could do a search for each product you own and provide you with what is compatible but I certainly do not have the time.  I just pulled VFX Central out of the "hat" and saw it was not compatible.  Whether it is bringing down your P3DV4.3 is not known as some V3 add-ons do work with P3DV4.  P3Dv3 and earlier were 32-bit applications.  P3Dv4 is a 64 bit application and we are seeing a lot of incompatible add-ons bringing P3DV4 down.  Of course, it is simple to blame Lockheed Martin but it is really the add-on developers you need to be talking to.

Crashes are frustrating.  I just went through crashes and BSOD's about a month ago and it took over a month to figure what was causing it (a memory module - one out of four was bad).  The problem I had diagnosing was that the crash only occurred when using P3DV4 and it did not happen all of the time.  It is important that one investigate his own issue because it is extremely rare when a crash is fixed the same for everyone. 

For the kernelbase.dll error, page 34, provides most of the common fixes for this error.

Thanks Jim, that’s all I needed was a quick visual inspection. I would have never knows it wasn’t compatible since PercipitFX is compatible with v4. I did have a mild overclock on my i7-6700K, from 4Ghz to 4.5Ghz, and I overclocked my memory as well so I set everything back to factory. I will test my sim to see if anything crashes. I will also look for any missing files so I can get them repaired. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here. I have diagnosed it to REX SF generally however I have seen couatl.dll and DGXI errors too. I have it running in the background and it CTDs randomly at random intervals. Nothing shows in AppCrashViewer etc. If I turn it on to refresh the weather environment and turn it off, no CTD.

It is a little better with older drivers. The 411s are worse and cause random crashes in other modules. I am using the 382s for now until this resolves.

Tried the TdrLevel fix too no joy.

Win10.

Shez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: When I got home today I mentally prepared myself to sit at my computer and not budge (except for bathroom breaks) until I sniff out the cause of my CTD. I uninstalled every add-on again, and then uninstalled P3D, and deleted all Lockheed content on my C drive and cleaned the slate. I made sure all computer settings were in a normal state, and no background apps were running in task manager. I downloaded P3Dv4.3 fresh and kept the settings the way they were after the fresh install. I did not move a slider an inch. Next I started with UTL. I did three start ups and loads with the default flight and UTL. No CTD. Next I moved on to AS16. I did three loads as well. No CTD. Afterwards was KTNP. Still no CTD after three loads. But then I installed Accu-Feelv2. The first load was fine. The SECOND load I got a CTD. Hmm. So then I uninstalled the app, and did ten (yes ten) loads without Accu-Feel. No CTD. I then enabled the app again, and did 10 more loads. No CTD. So I’m theory, my CTD was after I installed Accu-Feel. But I couldn’t replicate the issue after the first crash. I will keep testing, but I have my eye on Accu-Feel. It would make sense because the app was just made available to P3Dv4, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re still working out bugs...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent post!  You did about everything I have done to investigate a CTD except I also reset Windows10 a couple of times.  I hope your reinstallation of Accu-Feel works and resolves the problem.  Make sure you have P3D starting up in Admin Mode for ALL users.  Also, if you use Lorby_Si's Addon Manager, go the tools and check encodings of all of P3D's xml's and config's.  It is important all files are encoded properly.  This might have been the cause for the crash after Accu-Feelv2 was installed the first time.  Somehow an xml or config got corrupted.  Reinstalling fixed it.

Best regards,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: I finally throw the white towel. I have no idea what is causing this api.dll crash. Everytime I think it’s an app, my P3D crashes even with that specific app disabled. This is the first time I have been stumped for this long. Usually these types of crashes are easy to resolve because you just uninstall everything and reintroduce each app until you find the hold up but this crash is all over the place. It’s pointing to different apps and it’s hard to pinpoint. If there is such thing in this situation, the good news is, I finally got two recent crashes to log in appcrashview. Both show P3D.exe crash and the cause is ACCESS VIOLATION from api.dll. So I don’t know. I really don’t. All of my overclock’s are disabled, my OS isn’t missing any files, there are no processes running in task manager, I have followed the lovely CTD guide and no luck...., I am just frustrated and lost....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now