Sign in to follow this  
elmucki

Some VR questions/concerns

Thanks, yes you are right.. 30 fps should be enough as long as it's stutter free.. I still haven't reached that smoothness yet.. When on final, the airport loads and the Sim stutters.. But only the big airports do this.. Some small single runway airports are fine.. Let me give vr a try in p3d.. Apart from AFS2, I thought other Sims are just not VR material as on today.. Lemme give it a another try.. 

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

Maybe with aerosoft buses, VR should be even more feasible as they are usually the best performing of all tubeliners.. Q400 performs even better, but a smaller category of aircraft.. 

Vinod Kumar

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

17 hours ago, vin747 said:

Are you guys seriously using vr in p3d with payware planes and payware airports?  How can you get 60+ fps in Vc when on final approach? Just not possible in any of the main Sims out there.. Unless you are flying pmdg 747 into default airports.. Which beats the whole purpose of immersion.. So what is the bare minimum fps reqd in VR to stave off nausea? 

Me, i'm using an 8 year old PC with a4 yrs old graphix card. Does not meet the 'official' min specs required for VR.

Nevertheless, i use Oculus Rift and FlyInside and FSX Steam Edition without too many problems. None I'd say. It's pretty stable,I have to set traffic (moving cars) to 0. that is a real performance killer but for the rest i can do with average display settings.

Flying mostly with PMDG NGX, 777 and 747. The FPS in the VC are >40 but FSX itself runs between 10-20 FPS, so those are 2 different things. But that is OK really. Also, the immersion is omni present even with default airport. It's the depth you see, the autogen behind the default aitports lego blocks. the stereoscopic view of the wing or engine, liberating it from its background. When you take off or land, having that sensation of height because of that. Impressive airport scenery? Not so important as it used to be for me now. Nice to have though, yes.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I did some quick performance tests.. I found an FSDG Lite airport which was really "Lite' in FPS.. i was able to maintain 40+ in PMDG 777 VC all thru the approach and taxi to gate with GSX working, UTlive at 35%.. so such airports are good candidates for VR.. 

on the other hand i did same experiment with FT EHAM and i only had 20 fps thru the whole approach.. would definitely give me headache in VR..  so we need a VR network of airports which can all guarantee 30-40 fps for the entire flight.. 

The other big challenge in VR apart from performance is the resolution.. even with PIMAX 4K i only get 360p level of quality and its hard to read tiny numbers.. of course the pop up PFD helps.. 

Vinod Kumar

Ditto - I have all of the addons (all PMDG, Q400, Orbx everything, etc etc) and have no issues at all with FPS - it's just not something I have to think about anymore (pretty nice, yeah). I always describe wearing the rift as flying with 20/30 vision. No, it's not crystal clear, but you don't lose immersion because if you can't quite read the instrument you do exactly what you would do in real life - just lean forward a bit. 

There's only one plane I have issues with and that's the Aerosoft CRJs - the PFD and MFD are just too small to read all the numbers. That said, in FI you can just assign a joystick button to the zoom feature so you can quickly zoom in and see what you need to see then zoom back out. 

I do look forward to a slightly higher resolution display and have considered the Vive Pro but to be honest, without being able to test it in P3D first I don't want to pay that much.

Even with the 20/30 vision, I wouldn't go back to flying using a monitor for anything - even if I could afford a full motion sim in my backyard. 

Noah Bryant

On 9/28/2018 at 4:06 PM, NoahBryant said:

I wouldn't go back to flying using a monitor for anything - even if I could afford a full motion sim in my backyard

I've been in a 1 to 1 NGX simulator with 180 projector screen using beamer projection etc a few times.

Yes, the cockpit is crystal clear and you can really touch all the controls. But often the resolution and color vibrance of the scenery is quite dull and the sensation of inside versus outside is just not doing it. It is missing the stereoscop (3D) sensation  and moving your head does not change the projection. there's no interaction.

It's just not as real.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Just remember, if you have a good GPU, to enable single pass rendering in P3D. It can be smoother and the image clearer.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5