Sign in to follow this  
maca11

engines start 747-8 vs 747-400

Hi all, I cannot start engines in 747-8 after pushback just on APU (I can do only at stand with connected also air unit..).... whilst I can do with 747-400 (after push back just on APU)... is there a difference or it is some installation fault..?

many thanks !

Jan Maca

maca11

using PMDG 747 v3

P3D v 4.3

Hi Jan. 

While I haven't got the 747-8 yet, please make sure that you have APU Bleed on ! the GE-nX engines on 747-8 are not same as Dreamliner, they still start with an Air starter unit

Sincerely Yours.

Packs 2&3 off?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Just now, BIGSKY said:

Packs 2&3 off?

they can reduce the Duct Pressure but as the 747 is equipped with enough PRSOV's , they are not necessary. APU bleed is the source. 

To start 2 at a time,it may be necessary to turn off all 3 packs.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

NP.21.32 IN -8 FCOM

ofc, yet what he is asking is that they are not starting at all. so I assume that it is the source of pressure not the consumers.

Nobody has mentioned the fuel cutoff switches yet.  Pull the start button and flip up the fuel switch.  You should be rewarded with "AUTOSTART" appearing above each engine being started on the MFD engine synoptic.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you have an abnormal start you follow the QRH.  If there is no autostart then that means there is a serious problem with EEC and you turn aircraft over to maintenance.

• Like 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On the 747-8 the lights on the startbuttons on the overhead do not light up  during the engine start. That might be confusing for a 400 pilot..

Edited by dick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tcas_climb said:

speaking of, how do you do a manual start in case the autostart system is inoperative?

No manual starts on the -8.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

5 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

To start 2 at a time,it may be necessary to turn off all 3 packs.

All packs should be off starting one or two engines at once.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

There is manual starts. You use them when you have autostart faults or to motor the engine. 

Top left overhead panel, you can see the autostart switches. You can disable autostart there and then turn it into the older system. Obviously, you then no longer have protections so have to be ready to step in and abort if needed. 

7 minutes ago, M_Sauce said:

There is manual starts. You use them when you have autostart faults or to motor the engine. 

Top left overhead panel, you can see the autostart switches. You can disable autostart there and then turn it into the older system. Obviously, you then no longer have protections so have to be ready to step in and abort if needed. 

The engine will motor it self as needed to drop it's core temp before starting, the perks of the autostart system in the -8. These switches should be used only in case of failures of the autostart system not used in normal ops.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com