Sign in to follow this  
jc200200

FSX view panning stuttering/tearing

Hey Guys, So I'm having a issue with my sim at the moment. Running on Windows 10, just upgraded from 8.1 and everything ran fine believe it or not! But ever since I installed FSX on win 10, I have gotten very bad lag/stuttering while panning around the cockpit. I have it set to 30 fps, it runs fine while in cruise but really dips sometimes. Here are my specs-

Intel i7 4720HQ.

Nvidia gtx 960m 4gb .

16 gb ddr4 vram.

2tb ssd.

I have done basic tweaks to my cfg and used nvidia inspector. Still no luck. Here's a video of the issue. And yes I have a laptop for college😂 but it's a very fast computer for everything! I do have a nice built pc at home😊 and didn't bother screen recording this video either lol.

I have exactly the same issue using Win 7 and FSX. I thought I read somewhere that it might be an inherent issue using ezdok but I am not sure. Are you using ezdok?

I can go from screen to screen using the keys I assigned via ezdok no issue but panning I get bad tearing regardless of the aircraft from the basic FSX default to my addons.

I don't get it when flying since I have a decent rig with all of the suggested setting. I have given up on figuring out what it is since I never saw a resolution posted.

I am also using DX10 with the Fixer with the option for ezdok checked. I am afraid to mess around too much with by NVI settings since the current set up works fine for everything else.

Hopefully someone on the forum may have some thoughts.

Best.

Forshaw. 

• Like 1

Do you use nvidia inspector?

if your panel is set to 60hz you are better off setting framerare to 30fps in the sim and setting nvidia inspector to half frame rate refresh. That should eliminate the tearing. Details of this can be found in the excellent AVSIM set up guide.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

15 minutes ago, Dazkent said:

Do you use nvidia inspector?

if your panel is set to 60hz you are better off setting framerare to 30fps in the sim and setting nvidia inspector to half frame rate refresh. That should eliminate the tearing. Details of this can be found in the excellent AVSIM set up guide.

At least for me (not jc200200) I am using nvidia inspector and have my set up exactly the same as you suggested and based on what I have seen on the AVSIM set up guide and, same issue. I have searched all of the related sites on the internet.for a solution and they all basically suggested what you just stated. So I have given up and learned to live with it since it's only on "panning" and nothing else. When I saw jc200200's post I thought wow someone else is actually experiencing the same problem as I am, hence the reason I jumped on board.

Thanks.

Forshaw 

• Like 1

On 26 September 2018 at 2:33 AM, jc200200 said:

I have it set to 30 fps, it runs fine while in cruise but really dips sometimes

It looks more like stuttering than tearing. Although it's not what you want to hear, it's probably your CPU that's the problem. Although the turbo speed is not too bad at 3.6GHz, as soons as it gets hot (which happens easily with a laptop) it will clock down towards its base frequency of 2.6GHz. Have you checked the individual core loads in FSX with something like Afterburner? Don't just look at generic CPU figures as they are usually just an average for all cores and will always be lower than the most loaded core. Also, take a look at your CPU temperature when you see the stuttering.

What screen resolution are you using? Whilst FSX is much more dependent on the CPU, your 960m GPU is also quite weak. Take a look here at a comparrison with the 1050 (usually considered to be the minimum for reasonable performance in FSX): http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050/m27242vs3650. I'm assuming that you've got most of the settings turned down? I wouldn't think that Windows 10 is the issue - for me, FSX in Windows 10 works slightly better than it did in earlier version of the OS.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I figure out somewhat of the issue. Runs much smoother in xplane now and a little better in fsx. It was something in nvidia control panel. When I upgraded to Windows 10, it didn't set my CUDA GPUS to all. It fixed the problem when I set it to all or application controlled. For fsx the screen is still tearing a bit. It doesn't happen with any other game now. Just for fsx. And yeah fsx is old school now, I made the upgrade to xplane 11. My pc runs it good.