Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Overwing lights won’t shut off.

I made a flight and landed and shut down all power. Battery off, standby power off, ground cart disconnected.  But I still had my overwing slide lights on.  In real life they’re powered by battery packs but I couldn’t find a way to shut them off, there’s no switch.  Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?  And yes, I know, I need to read the manual.  I’m going to do that tonight as I have a lot of questions.  Especially why I can’t make an autoland or even engage B & C A/P’s and what the messages are on the PFD that say, SPP - FAC - G/P and I was landing ILS 10 at KATL.

Anyway, this is a cool study level plane and I have a lot of reading to do.

Jack Sawyer

Did you remember to turn of your emergency lights?  😎  Yet another nice little detail they've added. 

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

7 hours ago, BrianW said:

Did you remember to turn of your emergency lights?  😎  Yet another nice little detail they've added. 

I searched and searched but couldn't find the switch.  Stil can't find it. :blink:

Jack Sawyer

Jack,

It’s above the fire handles on the overhead. It’s a red guarded switch.

Austin MacDaniels

• Like 1

The sense behind it is to provide battery power even in case your main battery has failed after an emergency... so the emergency lights will turn on as soon as you turn off your battery if you forgot to turn the switch to off.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, nitsaw said:

Jack,

It’s above the fire handles on the overhead. It’s a red guarded switch.

Austin MacDaniels

Thanks!

Jack Sawyer

10 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

The sense behind it is to provide battery power even in case your main battery has failed after an emergency... so the emergency lights will turn on as soon as you turn off your battery if you forgot to turn the switch to off.

Thanks.  I worked 767’s for years and had to change these packs.  But I couldn’t find the cockpit switch last night.

Jack Sawyer

11 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

there’s no switch

It's in the row of light switches to the right of the beacon switch, labeled WING.

25 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I searched and searched but couldn't find the switch.  Stil can't find it. :blink:

Top of the overhead, above the fire handles, labeled EMER LIGHTS. (Black switch guard on the 748, as opposed to red, mentioned above.)

To link back to earlier conversations, it's very important to slow down, look around, and take things in. This is a highly complex simulation. Look around the flight deck for a few moments to get a feel for where things are. I've seen it in real planes and I've seen it in the sim: eye panic. People need to find something, and instead of methodically working their way around, the flit their eyes around in kind of a panic search. Happened a lot when I did technology training, too. In the sim, though, you're not paying for an instructor to be there, or to reserve the plane, so...take a moment sometime to just look around (methodically) and get a feel for where things are while setting up for a flight.

12 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Especially why I can’t make an autoland or even engage B & C A/P’s and what the messages are on the PFD that say, SPP - FAC - G/P and I was landing ILS 10 at KATL.

Hitting APP too early. Ensure you have both LOC and GS indications on the PFD before hitting APP.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Many many thanks Kyle.  Also, loved your video.

I searched like crazy in all the PDF files and can’t find any information in SPP, FAC,  and G/P.  Do you know where I can find more detailed information about these acronyms?

Thanks

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Also, loved your video.

Thanks. Some random dude just said it was "awful" and "worse than a car salesman" or something - haha. Gotta love YouTube comments...

2 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Do you know where I can find more detailed information about these acronyms?

IAN - integrated approach navigation. Decent article here, though not 748, specific, it's all the same indications/concepts:

http://www.flaps2approach.com/journal/2015/1/4/integrated-approach-navigation-ian-review-and-procedures.html

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, some people will never be happy with someone else’s work.

Appreciate the link, will look at when I get out of my forest 

Now, what about FAC and SPP?

Thanks 

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Now, what about FAC and SPP?

I'd need context for "SPP" as I'm unfamiliar, off the top of my head.

FAC is like LOC, and GP is like GS - both concepts contained within the IAN concept, and described at the link posted above.

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I'd need context for "SPP" as I'm unfamiliar, off the top of my head.

FAC is like LOC, and GP is like GS - both concepts contained within the IAN concept, and described at the link posted above.

SPP appeared in the top left of the PFD while on approach to KATL.  Never seen that begore.

I think from left to right it was:

SPP FAC G/P

Jack Sawyer

2 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

SPP appeared in the top left of the PFD while on approach to KATL.  Never seen that begore.

Sure it was SPP and not SPD?

• Like 1

Kyle Rodgers

4 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Sure it was SPP and not SPD?

Nope, SPP, I wrote it down but as always I’m probably wrong 😞 

Jack Sawyer