Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

The Cost of flying in P3D - relative worth

We cannot have any discussion about P3D and its trajectory these days without talking about the cost.  There is no doubt that flightsimming on the P3D 64 bit platform is becoming more expensive as the months go by.  I can't see this changing anytime soon - which at this stage I am fine with - provided that the quality provides value for money.

Value for Money - subjective.....  PMDG 747 family - good example.  Expensive ? Yes, relatively.   Value for Money?  Most definitely - for me.  Why? 

Let's put some context around relative worth.  If I had to come up with reasons why I think the spend is worth it (for me), I'd say: 

1. I spend all my sim time in their aircraft...2. I learn something new on every flight.  3.  I feel about as immersed in the experience of flying an airliner as you possibly could  outside of an airport or training facility.  4.  It gives me pleasure from start-up to shut down.  5. It does exactly what it's supposed to do and never lets me down. 6.  I utter the word 'wow' at least once on every flight.  7.  RSR, love him or hate him , is a technical perfectionist ( as is most of his team ) , and a qualified pilot on the type of aircraft I'm flying in the sim - there's alot to be said for that. 8. PMDG aircraft offer layers of complexity.   9.  Also, I depart every airport in the aircraft, I arrive at every airport in the aircraft, I interact during the entity of the flight with the aircraft - the aircraft IS the experience.  So on an hour by hour basis with all the time I do spend in my sim on weekends when I can, it is hands down good value for money. 10.  I'm a Boeing fan

So my total PMDG investment of $350 (approx) for the 737, 777 and 747 is a complete bargain.  My friends have paid (much)  more money for a single golf putter (they're still pretty word not allowed at putting).

You have to put cost into context  - and what is expensive and morally outrageous for some might not be for others.  I bought the FSL Airbus.  Great aircraft.  Has it been worth it for me?  Absolutely not.  I'm not really an Airbus guy, I still get drawn back to PMDG's aircraft as I just enjoy the experience more.  I thought FSL might change that, but it didn't - relative worth for me is literally NIL.   I haven't completed one full flight in it - for various reasons.

Do what you can with what you have to make you happy.  If it doesn't make me happy anymore then there is alot else in life I'd rather be doing.

• Like 5

A pensive discussion, Erich. Thought-provoking good read. Well put.

• Like 1

Enjoyed reading. You elegantly expressed my own sentiments. I can't settle for anything less then PMDG and A2A levels of fidelity. I must add Leonardo and TFDi to that list. Others are just let downs in comparison. I don't know if I will ever run out of things to learn with those aircraft.

My quandary is if the tremendous amount of money I've spent on full fat addon airports is worth the performance hit. Stunning to look at for sure but a short moment of eye pleasure for a dragging or stuttering final approach.

• Like 2

Vic green

agree ......... well sort of.

to me the investment is tempered by the "accurate" & available addons  to make it "simmable" ... an sdk for cockpit building, vainterface. pfpx/topcat compatability & recently the sorry saga with GSX1 or 2 whatever / however that evolves !!

'tis the only reason I have 1 aircraft ...

for now, cheers

john martin

2 hours ago, ErichB said:

FSL Airbus.  Great aircraft.

Could not agree more, and I think like me,Christopher likes it too.

I don't have it, Rick. It's just that I would expect it to be as immersive and enjoyable to fly as the PMDG airliners.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sometimes I feel like I’m paying too much for addons, then I remind myself that a round of golf (a mere 4-4.5 hours of entertainment) will cost me CDN$50-$70 so when considered on a cost per hour basis addons are quite cheap compared to my other hobby.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Sometimes I feel like I’m paying too much for addons, then I remind myself that a round of golf (a mere 4-4.5 hours of entertainment) will cost me CDN$50-$70 so when considered on a cost per hour basis addons are quite cheap compared to my other hobby.

There you go.

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

What is stopping you from enjoying the FSL Airbus, Erich?

I'm not sure Christopher.  I think I just have a mental block with Airbus. I enjoy Boeing flight decks more. and for the past few months, I've also been on a long-haul streak. 

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

There you go.

Plus this hobby makes me swear less than golf 🙂

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have applied the same logic to taking the sim route as opposed to applying the funds towards a PPL.  If I total the money I have spent on the sim (hardware/software/ad-ons) in the last few years and had applied all of it towards a PPL, I would likely have my PPL.  But, I would have only had about 40 hrs of enjoyment with all of that being in something along the lines of Cessna 172 and all of that time in flat and featureless South Louisiana.  Instead, I have been able to have well over a 1000 hrs of enjoyment, flying everything from an A2A C172 to a Majestic D8-Q400 to a UH-1H Huey (DCS) in areas all over the world, many of which I will likely never see.  I am not taking anything away from those that have decided to take the opposite approach in choosing their PPL over sim....I think it is a wonderful endeavor and perhaps one I will pursue again once the kids are out of the house.  From a dollar/hour of enjoyment metric, I am very pleased with my choice (especially once adopting into the VR experience)

I've been PMDG-only for more than 10 years.  Never gets old and enjoy it a lot more on P3Dv4.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Plus this hobby makes me swear less than golf 🙂

That is one of many reasons why I gave up online racing (Assetto Corsa) five months ago :blush:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

12 minutes ago, Luis_KMIA said:

I've been PMDG-only for more than 10 years.  Never gets old and enjoy it a lot more on P3Dv4.

Have been using PMDG amongst other for probably same number of years when it was all disks.

Edited by vc10man
  • Like 1