Sign in to follow this  
rwilsonlj

Changing the P2A star and arrival mid flight

Hi Dave. Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched this forum and didn't find anything relevant. I have attempted to change the star and arrival runway (due to wind change at arrival airport) on a number of flights but the original (FILED) seems to be what P2A uses after I make the changes. Is this possible or do I have to remain with the original star and runway I filed. Thanks.

If you have Force Pilot Runway selection option checked, then you will be given the original filed runway/approach.  If you want to change it enroute, the best way to do this is to 

1) Disconnect/Reconnect P2A 

2) File the flight plan with the new arrival.  Be sure you do this early enough to still be on the enroute portion of the flight so that you are not immediately off course.

3) Make the standard initial call to Center - <CallSign> at FL 320, for example.

This should get P2A to think you are initiating a recovery from a crash and it will look at the new flight plan.

If you don't have the Force Pilot Runway selection option checked, then P2A will change the arrival and approach right before it tells you what to expect.  Of course, you may not get the one you want this way.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. Forgot about the force runway setting. If not forced to pilot selection, does P2A just select an arrival runway based on wind direction or does it give priority to an ILS or RNAV approach if within certain wind conditions limits?

It's more than just winds.  If on IFR Flight plan, best / highest precision approach is also considered, along with other factors.

OK. Suspected it might involve more. The first time I set Pilot forced option off, it so happened the airport (can't remember where I was going, pretty common these days ;-), had a short paved runway that mostly aligned with the winds but was very short, I think too short for a 737 to land. That is what P2A chose for my arrival runway. Mid flight, I went back and set pilot forced to on and  disconnected\reconnected P2A and it honored my selection for STAR and ARRIVAL as you suggested. Thanks for the information.