Sign in to follow this  
FLNG

Seeking input on moving from FSX to P3D

And when v5 comes out we will have to do it all over again.....Can't wait.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

12 hours ago, FLNG said:

Again, am I off base ?

I realize eventually I'll have to end up moving away from FSX to some other sim, but am hoping I've over-estimated the cost and difficulty of going with P3D ?

Cheers

Jeff

My advise would be to follow Nike's advert.. "Just Do it".. get P3D you will not regret it.

S.

The sooner you bite. the cheaper it's going to be. Consider all the addons you would have had only to buy once if you had already migrated last year or the year before. 

Since PMDG announced their P3D products I immediately dropped FSX forever and the only thing I miss is the MD-11 

I had already purchased their 777-200 and 300 for FSX and these are the last products I bought for  FSX. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

24 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

And when v5 comes out we will have to do it all over again.....Can't wait.

Not for me, P4D is the last version I'm going to buy.

• Like 1

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

3 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Not for me, P4D is the last version I'm going to buy.

I wonder why...? Because you are mainly using XP now? Or because P3D will do for the next decades? Just curious. 😉

A bit of both, Mostly XP user now (until the 747-8 was released), and the fact that the P3D is 64bit, I can't see anything major happening for the next versions.

Jude Bradley

41 minutes ago, Jude Bradley said:

I can't see anything major happening for the next versions.

You will be heavily surprised.. but don't worry time will tell :)

S.

19 hours ago, FLNG said:

Am I off base here, or is everyone else just sucking it up and paying/doing it ??

Yep.

We did the same thing upgrading from FS4 to FS5. Any time you get a major generational shift in flight sims it's going to cost developers to update/make new stuff for the new platform, and they have bills to pay.

19 hours ago, FLNG said:

When you say something is P3D compatible, it seems like you need to specify what version of P3D. 

The main thing to verify is that whatever you're getting is v4 compatible, because v4 transitioned to 64 bit and broke 32 bit stuff that was compatible with the old sims. The advantage, of course, is that you won't get OOM crashes anymore because the transition got rid of the 4 gig memory cap.

Keep your FSX installation and then you can build up your P3D collection ( that's what i plan to do)  like Bert has said you will be better off with at least a GTX1070 and pref 16GB of ram. The increased power of a new GFX card does help in certain situations such as dense cloud cover. Now the 20 series of cards have come out am looking at getting my 1070 soon  then try out whichever version of P3D is current.

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer